Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2021 at 9:34 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
I have a shimano deore xt 4 piston brake, one of the pistons cracked. For the time being I've swapped it out for a zee caliper but is there anything i can do to replace the cracked piston? these brakes are impossible to get right now

maybe buy a m7120 caliper? they are identical other than the metal is used on the body so that you will have 4 spare pistons

believe me ive tried that as well, only other option at this point is buying a complete m7120 brake, another zee brake, or a complete xtr brake.

Posted: Apr 26, 2021 at 9:41 Quote
Cannot attest to thier quality but I saw some aftermarket shimano pistons on Amazon I think, I'll post a link if I can find them. It was a googlefu miracle last time

Posted: Apr 26, 2021 at 9:51 Quote
zachinblack wrote:
Hi all,

I snapped the shift paddle of my GX eagle shifter yesterday. Wondering if anyone knows whether i can get a replacement or if i have to go with a full new shifter?

It is my understanding that PNW makes a Loam Lever but for Sram shifters. It's only $30, which is only slightly cheaper than a whole new shifter.

O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2021 at 9:55 Quote
FloridaHasMTBToo wrote:
zachinblack wrote:
Hi all,

I snapped the shift paddle of my GX eagle shifter yesterday. Wondering if anyone knows whether i can get a replacement or if i have to go with a full new shifter?

It is my understanding that PNW makes a Loam Lever but for Sram shifters. It's only $30, which is only slightly cheaper than a whole new shifter.

i believe that is only for xo1/xx1 shifters though

Posted: Apr 26, 2021 at 10:01 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
proccesrider wrote:
bought a used rockshox SPD and cant get the hardware out
any ideas?

Not sure exactly what that is?
rockshox super deluxe
i need to install new hardware

O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2021 at 10:27 Quote
The instruction are in there. It looks like you will need to press it out. You can do it with a couple of sockets and a vice if you have access to that.

https://www.servicearchive.sram.com/sites/default/files/techdocs/gen.0000000006015_rev_a_2018-2020_super_deluxe_service_manual_english.pdf

Posted: Apr 26, 2021 at 10:39 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
Noeserd wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
I have a shimano deore xt 4 piston brake, one of the pistons cracked. For the time being I've swapped it out for a zee caliper but is there anything i can do to replace the cracked piston? these brakes are impossible to get right now

maybe buy a m7120 caliper? they are identical other than the metal is used on the body so that you will have 4 spare pistons

believe me ive tried that as well, only other option at this point is buying a complete m7120 brake, another zee brake, or a complete xtr brake.

wow i looked to some us shops and they don't sell shimano calipers, odd...

Posted: Apr 26, 2021 at 11:08 Quote
zachinblack wrote:
Hi all,

Someone will probably correct me but i believe only xx1 and xo1 have replaceable paddles

Posted: Apr 26, 2021 at 12:12 Quote
I have a 120 mm frame bike that I bought used with a 140 mm rockshox Reba RL. Do I need to be worried about the overfork?

O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2021 at 12:22 Quote
Christ-is-King wrote:
I have a 120 mm frame bike that I bought used with a 140 mm rockshox Reba RL. Do I need to be worried about the overfork?

Nope

Posted: Apr 26, 2021 at 14:18 Quote
reminder: If you have rockshox c1 shaft, don't forget to put 3ml oil to upper tube

Posted: Apr 26, 2021 at 14:30 Quote
[Quote="CMAMET"]
jesses-g wrote:
Does anyone know what service kit I would need for a 2010 Fox 36 TALAS with an RC2 FIT damper? I want to service the lowers. Maybe a complete rebuild?

Also, does the kit come with new bushings? I think mine have disappeared.

Contact S4 Suspension. They're really helpful and can either hook you up with the right rebuild kit, new seals, or you can send it to them and they'll do it for you.
There are a lot of pieces and if you don't know what you are doing, I would send it to them and save yourself the hassle (and the season if you can't figure it out on your own).

O+
Posted: Apr 27, 2021 at 12:31 Quote
Anyone fitted a OneUP V1 dropper lever to a Hope Tech 3 brake lever?

The V2 dropper lever looks like SRAM MMX mounting but the V1 the bolt goes through the bracket and screws into the bar clamp/i-Spec bracket.

Hope do SRAM MMX mount brackets and Shimano I-spec mount brackets but nothing looks like it will attach the V1 lever to the Hope brake lever body.

Any ideas?

Posted: Apr 27, 2021 at 12:47 Quote
veero wrote:

The V2 dropper lever looks like SRAM MMX mounting but the V1 the bolt goes through the bracket and screws into the bar clamp/i-Spec bracket.

Hope do SRAM MMX mount brackets and Shimano I-spec mount brackets but nothing looks like it will attach the V1 lever to the Hope brake lever body.

Any ideas?
I'm not sure you can, if you can find a V1 lever mounting bracket but I dont know if thats a thing. you could try using a oneup mounting bracket made for the V2 as it does not look like there is much of a difference other then where the lever mounting holes are, this may result in your lever being pushed too far forward and on top of this it may not even work cause oneup states the mounts are for the V2. If this is all too much of a gamble for you then just use the bar mount or buy the V2 lever (its way better anyways).

O+
Posted: Apr 27, 2021 at 13:01 Quote
Gurkgav wrote:
veero wrote:

Any ideas?
I'm not sure you can, if you can find a V1 lever mounting bracket but I dont know if thats a thing. you could try using a oneup mounting bracket made for the V2 as it does not look like there is much of a difference other then where the lever mounting holes are, this may result in your lever being pushed too far forward and on top of this it may not even work cause oneup states the mounts are for the V2. If this is all too much of a gamble for you then just use the bar mount or buy the V2 lever (its way better anyways).

Ah balls, I suspected it might be like that.

Had a V2 alloy lever on a bike I just got, the lever felt cheap and nasty compared to the composite V1 lever. I have that mounted on a OneUp Shimano iSpec bracket and it all works seamlessly. Ironically kept the V1 lever and sold the V2...

Might see if OneUo still have V1 bar clamp brackets available.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.032068
Mobile Version of Website