Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: May 17, 2021 at 18:52 Quote
My oneup v2 dropper has all off a sudden started going up without me doing anything. Yes I did everything with the barrel adjuster to where the cable was super tight and super loose, nothing helped. Any ideas about what's going on? Maybe bad cable housing?(looks clean though and no kinks). Please don't tell me I need a new cartridge ):

Thanks

Posted: May 17, 2021 at 20:44 Quote
gusbus432 wrote:
My oneup v2 dropper has all off a sudden started going up without me doing anything. Yes I did everything with the barrel adjuster to where the cable was super tight and super loose, nothing helped. Any ideas about what's going on? Maybe bad cable housing?(looks clean though and no kinks). Please don't tell me I need a new cartridge ):

Thanks
How long have you had the dropper? Do you ride it at full and minimum extension only?

Posted: May 17, 2021 at 21:04 Quote
gusbus432 wrote:

Thanks

Disconnect the post from the cable, and you can find out if it goes up on it's own, or only when the cable is attached.

If it works fine without the cable, then the cable is your problem (likely kinked or too sharp a turn in your routing). If the post won't stay down, even with no cable attached, then there is a problem with either the cam where the cable attaches, or with the cartridge.

Posted: May 17, 2021 at 22:55 Quote
this is loosely related, but it felt like the best place to put this.
Would it be a good idea to stock up on parts for the summer? I don't mean wear items (I already have a spare chain and brake pads on hand), but stuff more like a derailleur. I'm just wondering if people who know more about this that I have any opinions. Will derailleurs be impossible to get this summer? is it worth buying one just in case? is there any other part I should consider stocking up on?

I ride maybe 2-3 times a week, pretty aggressively but not park.

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 0:10 Quote
Dragonfly- wrote:
Would it be a good idea to stock up on parts for the summer? I don't mean wear items (I already have a spare chain and brake pads on hand), but stuff more like a derailleur. I'm just wondering if people who know more about this that I have any opinions. Will derailleurs be impossible to get this summer? is it worth buying one just in case? is there any other part I should consider stocking up on?

It's already basically impossible to get a 12 speed derailleur or chain.

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 6:41 Quote
Rogueuniform77 wrote:
gusbus432 wrote:

Thanks
How long have you had the dropper? Do you ride it at full and minimum extension only?

It's a used bike and the dropper was an upgrade from idk when, but I bought the bike 2 months ago. I would ask the seller but we are not on good terms considering the blown shock he lied about. I do ride it not at full hight somewhat often

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 6:42 Quote
bishopsmike wrote:
gusbus432 wrote:

Thanks

Disconnect the post from the cable, and you can find out if it goes up on it's own, or only when the cable is attached.

If it works fine without the cable, then the cable is your problem (likely kinked or too sharp a turn in your routing). If the post won't stay down, even with no cable attached, then there is a problem with either the cam where the cable attaches, or with the cartridge.

Ok thanks I'll do that

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 8:06 Quote
tannerzinck wrote:
Dragonfly- wrote:

It's already basically impossible to get a 12 speed derailleur or chain.

I wouldn't call it stocking up I would call it get your order in now and by the end of the year you will have your replacements especially if you are picky about what parts you want. Cassettes and Chains seem to be the hard to get parts at the moment. Had to get a KMC chain as I couldn't find a new shimano one anywhere.

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 10:06 Quote
Chain maintenance.

This is kind of trivial but I thought the best forum for posting this kind of question.

I'm having this give-n-go w/a guy on Quora about chain maintenance. It was because he's recommending NOT to clean your chain when you lube it. I'm like, what? I'm a scrub, degrease, clean again, repeat if necessary, THEN lube. I'm always trying to keep as much old grease, dirt, debris, sand, etc, out of my drivetrain parts as possible.

An I really way-off on this? I've just never heard of being advised to LEAVE all that crap on your parts!

I don't need to get into how much more efficient everything works when I do that, not to mention how much longer everything lasts as well, but I thought I'd question how many people here see this differently, OR what advice others here give about chain maintenance.

~JSV

If you're interested in the comments:
https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-good-maintenance-tips-for-keeping-my-fancy-new-road-bicycle-running-like-new/answer/Drew-Eckhardt?comment_id=200261137&comment_type=2

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 10:20 Quote
I will wipe down my chain and get all the surface dirt off then oil it. I do not degrease my chain very often.

If you degrease you chain you are removing all the oil between the rollers and it is difficult to get this back and you will end up shortening the life of your chain.

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 10:21 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
Chain maintenance.

This is kind of trivial but I thought the best forum for posting this kind of question.

I'm having this give-n-go w/a guy on Quora about chain maintenance. It was because he's recommending NOT to clean your chain when you lube it. I'm like, what? I'm a scrub, degrease, clean again, repeat if necessary, THEN lube. I'm always trying to keep as much old grease, dirt, debris, sand, etc, out of my drivetrain parts as possible.

An I really way-off on this? I've just never heard of being advised to LEAVE all that crap on your parts!

I don't need to get into how much more efficient everything works when I do that, not to mention how much longer everything lasts as well, but I thought I'd question how many people here see this differently, OR what advice others here give about chain maintenance.

~JSV

If you're interested in the comments:
https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-good-maintenance-tips-for-keeping-my-fancy-new-road-bicycle-running-like-new/answer/Drew-Eckhardt?comment_id=200261137&comment_type=2

IDK if this is the best but its good enough for me. When I do chain maintenance I
1) wipe the chain before doing anything else to remove what ever junk is on the surface
2) lube the chain
3) wipe the chain
Repeat 2 and 3 until the I don't get any junk on my rag. Usually only 2 cycles if I'm good about cleaning my chain regularly. If you are working on someone else's bike and the chain is already a gunky mess, then more upfront cleaning and a degrease may be appropriate.

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 10:35 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS,

freestyIAM is correct, with the caveat this works best with a fairly clean lube. If your chain is a thick, black mess when you re-lube, the cleaning burden is more than can be accomplished with using lube as both solvent and lubricant. It's also a cue to change your lube and/or your method.

I use Rock n Roll Absolute Dry (red) with the method described by freestylAM (every ride, with only one cycle; no repetition required) and my chain is completely clean. It's nearly indistinguishable from one that's been run through a solvent bath and ultrasonic cleaner. My drivetrains last at least two to three times longer than typical.

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 10:44 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
Chain maintenance.

I'm with you. A clean chain with fresh lubricant feels super sweet. And obviously if you leave grit on the chain - or any place else on the drivetrain - then your equipment will wear out quicker.

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 11:20 Quote
I'm with these guys Scary....

I do NOT degrease my chain. Wipe all parts down, clean grime off jockey wheels and big shit off cassette, then lube chain in the manner they noted above. I'm a "lube drivetrain prior to every ride" kind a guy...

My last roadbike chain had somewhere in the range of 50-60K miles on it....(Regina CX-S - yes...north of 50,0000 miles). Only swapped it out because I put a different wheelset on the bike and that chain didn't play nice with the modern cassette....

Now, I do pull the cassette and clean/degrease the cogs, same with the jockey wheels, probably more than the average bear...but never degreaser on the drivetrain parts. Too tough to ensure you're getting lube deep into the internals.

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 12:40 Quote
toddball wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:

Things n stuff

Thanks for the reply. A few quick itemized responses:

#1: It sounds to me like the damper was behaving normally, except it was very difficult to compress by hand when it was off the bike. I'm pretty confident I wound the compression dial all the way open before attempting to compress it by hand, but the symptoms were consistent with heavy compression damping and middling rebound damping.

#2: I didn't notice any top-out clank when riding, but it's definitely there. I checked the position of the linkage before riding and was surprised that I couldn't find any unwanted points of contact between frame triangles and/or links, but I just found one: the drive-side chainstay hits part of the bashguard at top-out now Eek . I'm going to remove the bashguard and see what the next point of contact is, will most likely be the lower link onto the BB shell or the shock eyelet onto the seat tube.

#3: The one part of this scenario I'm confident in is that the shock is not contacting parts of the frame during any part of the stroke. Here's a photo of the shock installed on the bike:

210x55mm Marzocchi Bomber CR installed on Riot. Shock is partially compressed so measures 205x50mm.

So, I don't really understand how I managed to blow up this shock. My friend previously blew it up twice (mounted to a Stumpjumper Evo) and had it warrantied, and he joked that I would blow it up on this ride. Just disappointed that I actually managed to do it so quickly. I have previously had serious issues with linkage play on this frame, which most likely caused the demise of my Monarch Plus, but I swapped the linkage bearings right before putting on the Bomber CR and could not feel any linkage play then (or now).

The fact that the swingarm was topping out into the chain device is blindingly good luck. It is less likely that the frame will have been damaged (much), as the chainguide won't have been providing quite as solid a top-out as hitting a fixed frame member. I still suggest you don't run this setup though, even if nothing comes into contact, long shocking your bike is usually bad idea. Using a shock with the same e2e but more stroke is generally fine (again as long as nothing contacts anywhere in the stroke) but running a longer e2e shock is almost never a good idea.

It is weird that the shock keeps blowing up. I have heard of issues where the eyelet comes off when used on a stumpy evo, but blowing up 3 times in quick succession is odd. I couldn't really comment further without seeing your current set up in person, but I have to admit I'm still leaning towards the opinion that it is something to do with it being fitted to a bike its not supposed to fit.

Quick Q: I assume you have set the preload on the coil so that it is fully extended when the frame tops out but the shock is not fully topped out itself? This will lead to on trail situations where the spring can momentarily be completely freeto wobble about. It's not impossible that this will put undue stress on the lower eyelet and cause leakage issues. However it could well be that the shock does have its own issues.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019924
Mobile Version of Website