Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 1:31 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
hmstuna wrote:
Same as above. Just get the correct size. Otherwise you will have issues

Yeah i know but i can only find hope (38.5) and tune (38.0) for the closest sizes in the shops i can buy and hope is out of stock

Have you measured with a vernier or are you trying to measure with a tape measure or something? Look on the inside of your old clamp for the dimensions and if not go for the Hope version

Edit: Wolftooth do one in your size that seems readily available most places

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 11:12 Quote
can i put a microshift advent wide range 9 speed on a low range 9 speed cassette

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 12:39 Quote
mior wrote:
can i put a microshift advent wide range 9 speed on a low range 9 speed cassette
Yes wide range just means its a long cage der, will still work with a low range cassette

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 13:54 Quote
Rogueuniform77 wrote:
mior wrote:
Yes wide range just means its a long cage der, will still work with a low range cassette

Cage length is only part of the equation. The other half is the ability of the derailleur to keep the upper pulley a reasonable distance from the cog across the whole cassette. SRAM has been pretty good about this because they've used an offset upper pulley (which increases the distance of the pulley from the axle as more chain is taken up on the cogs) for a long time. Shimano only started using an offset pulley with their 11-speed groups.

10-speed and earlier Shimano used a concentric upper pulley and depended entirely on the tilt of the parallelogram to move accommodate the larger cogs, so the tilt of the parallelogram needed to match the range of the cassette pretty closely or shifting would suck. This is why older MTB derailleurs never worked well with road cassettes and why OneUp and WolfTooth came up with things like the RAD cage and the GoatLink to make those 10-speed derailleurs work well with a wider cassette despite the cage being plenty long enough.

ANYWAY, though I haven't tested it myself I think the Advent will work fine with a low-range cassette because it uses an offset upper pulley. I remember a YouTube video where a mechanic showed off that the 12-speed Shimano stuff would work on everything all the way down to a road cassette and I currently use one of those with a 10-speed 11-42 (it was designed for 10-51) and it works fine.

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 21:55 Quote
Not really mechanic related but as anyone had luck patching a hydration bladder.. I went OTB today and something punctured my bladder

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 23:31 Quote
Not tried, maybe something boat related?

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 23:42 Quote
What about the patch kits for repairing kiddy swimming pools..?

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 0:58 Quote
would you really wanna drink out of something repared with glues or solvants like that?

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 1:07 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
Not really mechanic related but as anyone had luck patching a hydration bladder.. I went OTB today and something punctured my bladder

I patched mine with a small piece of gorilla tape, worked just fine. It was a tiny hole though, don’t think it would work for anything bigger.

You could try surgical-grade superglue and a piece of flexible plastic?

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 1:12 Quote
You could use Flex-Seal tape too. It's rubbery, s00pa' sticky, and it's made to be water proof.
?

~JSV

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 5:43 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
You could use Flex-Seal tape too. It's rubbery, s00pa' sticky, and it's made to be water proof.
?

~JSV

I think I found something similar it's call tenacious tape .. local outdoor store sells it to mend random things supposed to work good... But I did make the flex tape joke on the trail ... We sawed this boat in half to show you the power of flex tape

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 5:44 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
?

~JSV

I think I found something similar it's call tenacious tape .. local outdoor store sells it to mend random things supposed to work good... But I did make the flex tape joke on the trail ... We sawed this boat in half to show you the power of flex tape

^^^ I really want to do that

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 11:23 Quote
LOL!!
That got me thinking. The Mythbusters should've done a show where they chopped up a carbon mountain bike and put it all back together with duct tape, like they did with the airplane! lol!

Tie Buster to it, then send him on a gnarly DH course!!!

~JSV

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 12:19 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
LOL!!
That got me thinking. The Mythbusters should've done a show where they chopped up a carbon mountain bike and put it all back together with duct tape, like they did with the airplane! lol!

Tie Buster to it, then send him on a gnarly DH course!!!

~JSV

Flex tape we cut your $15000 yeti SB160 in half and taped it back together to show you the power of flex tape ....

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 12:51 Quote
Hi everyone
I recently got a 2021 fox DHX2 65mm stroke, 230 eye to eye and the 2.65 inch/65mm stroke SLS coil spring I got for it rattles when I have the preload as far as it can go in. The coil should technically fit so any advice or solutions would be appreciated

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011765
Mobile Version of Website