Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 10:00 Quote
takr01 wrote:
Is there anyone with experience in the installation of enduro seals? Looking to buy replacement seals as oem are no longer available. Or what would a be the best replacement of Jr T dual crown. Not looking to spend and invest a ton of money as bike is very old. Thank you for your opinions.

I've installed Enduro seals in the past (blue ones). They were fairly stiff, easy enough to install. Not as slippery as modern SKF seals, but likely at least as good as what came on those forks, and most importantly, they worked.

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 10:17 Quote
bishopsmike wrote:
takr01 wrote:
Is there anyone with experience in the installation of enduro seals? Looking to buy replacement seals as oem are no longer available. Or what would a be the best replacement of Jr T dual crown. Not looking to spend and invest a ton of money as bike is very old. Thank you for your opinions.

I've installed Enduro seals in the past (blue ones). They were fairly stiff, easy enough to install. Not as slippery as modern SKF seals, but likely at least as good as what came on those forks, and most importantly, they worked.

I had them on an old drop off triple at one point. They seal really well and they where a pain to put in compared to the stock ones.

Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 11:06 Quote
I heard somewhere...people complaining the Enduro's scratched up the stanchions ??

I have an old ass set of Fox 32's that I need to service and struggle to find the right parts. Always see Enduro's but shy'd away till I could dig deeper into finding the proper schtuff for it.

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 11:12 Quote
adm750 wrote:
I heard somewhere...people complaining the Enduro's scratched up the stanchions ??

I have an old ass set of Fox 32's that I need to service and struggle to find the right parts. Always see Enduro's but shy'd away till I could dig deeper into finding the proper schtuff for it.

edit they can be tough on the coatings if they are not up to the task. Older marzocchi forks tend to have a very robust coating.

Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 17:18 Quote
Just got a new pair of Fox Launch pro elbow pads. I was between sizes and opted for the bigger size because they had a strap. I cannot decide to return them for the smaller size because im not sure what to look for when sizing a pair of elbow pads. They seem to fit fine when on. I was wondering if elbow pads shrink or expand when washed because that could help me with sizing.

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 18:15 Quote
Lion1 wrote:
Just got a new pair of Fox Launch pro elbow pads. I was between sizes and opted for the bigger size because they had a strap. I cannot decide to return them for the smaller size because im not sure what to look for when sizing a pair of elbow pads. They seem to fit fine when on. I was wondering if elbow pads shrink or expand when washed because that could help me with sizing.

Pretty sure they're completely synthetic and won't really shrink at all.

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 18:18 Quote
Trying to replace the bearings in an old sun ringle jumping flea front hub. I found a simple diagram of it here: https://www.bikeschematics.com/bike-schematics/hayes/hayes-jumping-flea/ does anyone have a good way to get those end caps out to get at the bearings? Gave a pretty good yank on them and they didn't want to move. Also doesn't seem like there's much of a way to come at them from the other side.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 4:07 Quote
Don't suppose anyone knows what diameter hose the high volume Lezyne floor pumps use?

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 4:11 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
never mind i found it

never mind i found it

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 7:55 Quote
Hey I just pick up a domain 302, with 180mm of travel and it has a red spring inside, does anyone know what weight rider that is for? The old RS spring chart says it's xfirm but i don't think it is.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 8:04 Quote
Tf tuned says red is for medium

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 8:35 Quote
Play in Shimano XT WH-M8120 27.5. This is (almost) new, been having shifting problems. Found a little play in the cassette, tore everything down and put if back together. Here's a little video that tries to show about a 1-2mm lateral play in the hub.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TRknKuyTXkHAh89J6

The axle is cranked together, actually over torqued in the video. However, if I press in on the axle on the drive side, the play is greatly reduced. That is to say, I can't tighten it anymore on the bearing races but it seems like maybe a shim or spacer is missing, or I'm missing another way to adjust?

O+
Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 8:57 Quote
radiorental wrote:
Play in Shimano XT WH-M8120 27.5. This is (almost) new, been having shifting problems. Found a little play in the cassette, tore everything down and put if back together. Here's a little video that tries to show about a 1-2mm lateral play in the hub.

The axle is cranked together, actually over torqued in the video. However, if I press in on the axle on the drive side, the play is greatly reduced. That is to say, I can't tighten it anymore on the bearing races but it seems like maybe a shim or spacer is missing, or I'm missing another way to adjust?

you may have to adjust the bearing preload on the axel if you haven't done that yet. It is done on the non drive side of the hub. This can be a bit tricky to get right as you do not want to over tighten the preload or have too much play.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-NZ/product/component/deore-xt-m8100/WH-M8120-TL-R12-B-29.html

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 9:17 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
radiorental wrote:

you may have to adjust the bearing preload on the axel if you haven't done that yet. It is done on the non drive side of the hub. This can be a bit tricky to get right as you do not want to over tighten the preload or have too much play.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-NZ/product/component/deore-xt-m8100/WH-M8120-TL-R12-B-29.html

Couldn't find anything specific to a preload torque in the manual but if you're speaking to "Freehub > Assembly > Step 2" https://si.shimano.com/#/en/iDM/MAWH002/maintenance/toc_xd_c5c05620d61ac187-7725a3bc-1699aaa5550--7ad0

Then yes, I even went as far as having that too tight but it had no effect. It as if the microspline hub is missing a spacer on the outside between it and the right cap. But such a thing does not appear in the service manual. Again though, if I push in on the right cap, the play goes away.

O+
Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 9:22 Quote
When you tighten it down in the dropout it should go away then as well right?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.023914
Mobile Version of Website