Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 9:34 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
shorter stem ?

was trying to avoid that as i try to stick to 50mm stems

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 10:08 Quote
I've smashed up the cage on my sram gx axs. Will a normal gx or nx cage fit on it ???

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 13:33 Quote
Does anybody of you knows what is the purpose of the seal head upgrade kit for the zeb?

mine is select model and came with this head

and the 200hr service kit has this "Upgrade kit" with the silver head

maybe that might solve my lack of plushnes problem?

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 13:36 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
darn, i'm trying to get it a bit shorter when seated. already have the seat all the way forward on the rails.
Just curious; what's the reach spec'd at for your bike frame, and how tall are you?

~JSV

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 13:45 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
darn, i'm trying to get it a bit shorter when seated. already have the seat all the way forward on the rails.
Just curious; what's the reach spec'd at for your bike frame, and how tall are you?

~JSV

i think its 500mm reach, 660mm TT. i am 6'3 or 190cm. In reality the TT is probably longer than 660 since the actual seat angle is fairly slack and i have around 100mm of exposed seat post+170mm of drop.

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 15:59 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

~JSV

i think its 500mm reach, 660mm TT. i am 6'3 or 190cm. In reality the TT is probably longer than 660 since the actual seat angle is fairly slack and i have around 100mm of exposed seat post+170mm of drop.

I'm 6ft, riding and XL/S5, but I like riding w/larger cockpit room and reach. I have a spec'd reach of 470 w/a TT spec at 662, and my dropper is 160mm travel, so I don't know how much the dropper is effecting the reach. My ST angle says 73.7 and the HT is 66.5.

See now it's funny how different riders like what feels comfortable. If I was 3 inches taller, I'd be looking for your spec's to fit me. Some of my friends close to my size or a bit shorter that have got on my bike have to s-t-r-e-t-c-h their arms out to get the bars lol! But I feel totally locked-in like it's customized for me.

My Deity bars though were 800 new, and there's no way I could ride with that. I cut them to about 770 or just over and could feel good down at 760mm which I may do. 760 seems to be the optimum bar width for me on 29ers.

~JSV

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 16:01 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
Does anybody of you knows what is the purpose of the seal head upgrade kit for the zeb?

Sounds like an excellent question for Vorsprung. Steve's got so much knowledge.

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 16:37 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
Noeserd wrote:

Sounds like an excellent question for Vorsprung. Steve's got so much knowledge.

That’s a good idea. The only thing I could find anywhere on the internet about it was an MTBr thread where on person, without citing source, said “ From what I know the silver sealhead is supposed to be a little longer to eliminate the knock that some of Zebs have.”

So, sounds like it’s not going to change plushness. Regardless, I wouldn’t expect a sealhead to feel any different regardless, unless it changed negative volume or solved a seriously high-friction seal.

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 18:14 Quote
Noeserd wrote:

I have also wondered about this I have a 2021 Zeb ultimate and for some reason it lists an upgrade air spring seal head .. I thought being a 2021 I would t need that

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 19:09 Quote
Is there anyone with experience in the installation of enduro seals? Looking to buy replacement seals as oem are no longer available. Or what would a be the best replacement of Jr T dual crown. Not looking to spend and invest a ton of money as bike is very old. Thank you for your opinions.

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 20:07 Quote
JSV - Comparing reach without stack figures doesn't tell you much. And seated position on the bike is also significantly affected by seat angle, seat height, stem length, bar rise, head angle, spacers, height, and inseam. I would be careful drawing conclusions from such a limited comparison.

Newbermuda - List of things you could try in rough order of practicality. Some may be too subtle
- More spacers underneath your stem (could be challenging if you don't have enough steerer)
- Shorter stem (I know you said you don't want to, but almost all options will change your steering characteristics anyways and this is one of the easiest)
- Narrower bars
- Reach adjust headset (not possible on all bikes)
- Angleset slacker (possible on most bikes)
- Bars with more backsweep
- Eccentric bb (to lower seat and make bike shorter, not possible on all bikes)
- Longer Cranks (same as above)
- Different bike
- Become taller

I may have missed a couple...

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 20:19 Quote
hmstuna wrote:
JSV - Comparing reach without stack figures doesn't tell you much. And seated position on the bike is also significantly affected by seat angle, seat height, stem length, bar rise, head angle, spacers, height, and inseam. I would be careful drawing conclusions from such a limited comparison.

Newbermuda - List of things you could try in rough order of practicality. Some may be too subtle
- More spacers underneath your stem (could be challenging if you don't have enough steerer)
- Shorter stem (I know you said you don't want to, but almost all options will change your steering characteristics anyways and this is one of the easiest)
- Narrower bars
- Different bike
- Become taller

I tried a narrower bar with higher rise today and that seemed to help. I have my stem at the top of my steer tube so im really getting as much stack as i can out of it

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 22:42 Quote
hmstuna wrote:

- Narrower bars
- Different bike
- Become taller

I am aware of that. Indeed it requires more to draw conclusions. I thought it wasteful to try and discuss ALL the aspects of fitting when I was really just curious about the reach measurements associated to rider height (in general). Even myself, I have to get the stem stack height right, the bar rise, the stack for ST length, all these things right until I'm fitted well on a bike. Even other parts of the geo' like chainstay length can "change" the way a bike feels big or small when you're riding I've found. I have a long inseam and long arms, and I don't FIT typical expectations of frame-size for my height--some of which as I was saying is due mostly to individual rider comfort.

I just want clear up that I was merely curious about those particular measurements of his and wasn't suggesting to anyone that I thought these were all that was necessary for assuming the fitting. In fact I doubt there's even any possibility to completely figure frame/bike fitting with measurements alone--even if you have a list of everything. Making adjustments or finding adjustment alterations for increased comfort sure, measurements can help with that.

~JSV

Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 7:15 Quote
Yo mechanics,

I have a question regarding noise. I've got a bike that just sounds rattly as I'm headed downhill. I've gone through everything I can think of to chase the noise down. It sounds like it's in the rear wheel and I'm suspecting the hub. In your experience, have you guys seen the pawls engage as the wheel goes through it's travel and make a 'clanking' noise? I can get a small amount of the clanking if I take the dropper all the way down and slam the rear end on the ground. I'm on a single pivot bike and the hubs aren't anything seriously special, Bitex rebranded I believe. There is a small amount of pedal kickback when I do my slam test.

Just for kicks, I went sure and made sure the cassette was tight, the axel was entirely locked down, the spring in the brake pads was fully extended to reduce the brake pad chatter, I wrapped a t-shirt around the chain stay to isolate that noise as well, and I can still hear the small amount of rattle when I do my test.

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 8:52 Quote
I'm thinking about changing my fortus rims to newmen rims. Newmen has 557 erd and fortus has 555, will 1mm difference in spokes going to be a issue? Spokes are fairly new and will reuse them if they fits

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013035
Mobile Version of Website