Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Author Message
Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 9:22 Quote
When you tighten it down in the dropout it should go away then as well right?

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 10:16 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
When you tighten it down in the dropout it should go away then as well right?

I'm a f*cking idiot.

And I truly appreciate you pointing that out.

In my defense, I have 3 wheels out in various states of assembly and have not been really focused on putting one of the frames whole, sometimes when you're down in the weeds it's hard to think straight..

But regardless - Thanks!

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 10:24 Quote
Hey y'all! I don't have a mantou fork but I just had an idea. Could you take the lowers and turn em around so it looks more nomal? I know some people that hate that "backward" look and I thought about turning the lowers around. Thanks!

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 10:49 Quote
noakeabean wrote:
Hey y'all! I don't have a mantou fork but I just had an idea. Could you take the lowers and turn em around so it looks more nomal? I know some people that hate that "backward" look and I thought about turning the lowers around. Thanks!

Nope - the dropouts that hold the wheel would be in the wrong spot, handling would be all screwed up.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 10:53 Quote
Ohhhhhhh...forgot about that. I wonder how that would feel

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 11:37 Quote
tannerzinck wrote:
Trying to replace the bearings in an old sun ringle jumping flea front hub. I found a simple diagram of it here: https://www.bikeschematics.com/bike-schematics/hayes/hayes-jumping-flea/ does anyone have a good way to get those end caps out to get at the bearings? Gave a pretty good yank on them and they didn't want to move. Also doesn't seem like there's much of a way to come at them from the other side.

Been a while since I've seen one of those hubs in the flesh, but IIRC, the two rings furthest outboard in that picture are a press fit into the hubshell and so just need to be pressed out with (not excessive) force.

If you put the correct sized bar (15 or 20mm depending on your setup) just into the end cap but not into the bearing, and then wrench it to one side it will most likely pop the collar and axle spacer off in one. Don't go full ham on it though, if you lean into it and it isnt budging, then excessive force will likely deform things. Next insert a drift through the hubshell from the far side, into one of the slots cut into the center spacer, and knock the bearing outwards.

On the other hand, if you drift the bearing out with the end cap still fitted, it'll probably all come out (spacers and bearing) nicely enough. Either method will probably work. Both *could* damage the hub if done without care. How you approach it is up to you.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 11:39 Quote
noakeabean wrote:
Ohhhhhhh...forgot about that. I wonder how that would feel
Incredibly stable to the point of making the bike feel awful at anything under about 573mph. You'll probably also go over the bars the first time you bottom out, when the tyre hits the downtube and comes to a sudden halt.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 12:55 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
noakeabean wrote:
Ohhhhhhh...forgot about that. I wonder how that would feel
Incredibly stable to the point of making the bike feel awful at anything under about 573mph. You'll probably also go over the bars the first time you bottom out, when the tyre hits the downtube and comes to a sudden halt.

Assuming the foot nut for the damper and air spring are the same such that you can actually put it back together again...

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 13:00 Quote
rclugnut wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
noakeabean wrote:
Ohhhhhhh...forgot about that. I wonder how that would feel
Incredibly stable to the point of making the bike feel awful at anything under about 573mph. You'll probably also go over the bars the first time you bottom out, when the tyre hits the downtube and comes to a sudden halt.

Assuming the foot nut for the damper and air spring are the same such that you can actually put it back together again...
True

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 14:34 Quote





Can anyone Identity thease two frames? they came from a scrap yard, the welds and geometry's tell me they couldn't possibly be from big box stores...Please help ID one or both(preferably both!)

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 15:41 Quote
The white one looks like a Planet X.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 16:30 Quote
seraph wrote:
The white one looks like a Planet X.
has that style...but can't find a model that looks like it

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 16:39 Quote
Could be an old Jumping Jack Flash by them.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 16:48 Quote
Looks like it's just the "Jack Flash" model.


Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 16:50 Quote
seraph wrote:
Looks like it's just the "Jack Flash" model.


Gusset at the headtube is wrong though on all the pictures I see. can't find one with a solid gusset like the frame Im asking about..


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015377
Mobile Version of Website