Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Author Message
Posted: Jun 17, 2021 at 11:37 Quote
tannerzinck wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
motardnoob wrote:
Servicing 2014 Boxxer RC forks for the first time (new to me). Bought a service kit which came with Dust seals + foam rings, but the forks currently have dust seals + oil seals. Can anyone advise what should be fitted, I'm certain I've bought the right service kit?

You have the newer service kit. Remove both the oil and dust seals, and fit the newer foam rings and dust seals. This is a nice upgrade. Make sure you only push the new seals in until they are flush with the top of the lowers. It is easy to push them too far in. They only want to go in until the outer edge of the seal is flush with the top of the casting, and level all the way round.

I'm assuming flush with the bottom of the lip where the old flange sits, is that right? Because the newer kit has flangeless seals and the old dust + oil seal setup had flanged dust seals.

Correct. Push the seal in until the edge of the seal is flush with the casting it is pressing into.

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 8:57 Quote
hey does anyone know if Rockshox Reverb hose and SRAM brake hose are interchangeable? I know brakes are DOT and dropper is mineral oil, but I have some new/clean brake hose laying around that I was hoping to use on the Reverb dropper…lmk

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 9:43 Quote
ridecvln wrote:
hey does anyone know if Rockshox Reverb hose and SRAM brake hose are interchangeable? I know brakes are DOT and dropper is mineral oil, but I have some new/clean brake hose laying around that I was hoping to use on the Reverb dropper…lmk

I'm pretty sure that Reverb fluid is not mineral oil. IIRC it's 2.5wt suspension fluid.

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 11:54 Quote
seraph wrote:
ridecvln wrote:
hey does anyone know if Rockshox Reverb hose and SRAM brake hose are interchangeable? I know brakes are DOT and dropper is mineral oil, but I have some new/clean brake hose laying around that I was hoping to use on the Reverb dropper…lmk

I'm pretty sure that Reverb fluid is not mineral oil. IIRC it's 2.5wt suspension fluid.
That's mineral as well

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 11:57 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
seraph wrote:
ridecvln wrote:
hey does anyone know if Rockshox Reverb hose and SRAM brake hose are interchangeable? I know brakes are DOT and dropper is mineral oil, but I have some new/clean brake hose laying around that I was hoping to use on the Reverb dropper…lmk

I'm pretty sure that Reverb fluid is not mineral oil. IIRC it's 2.5wt suspension fluid.
That's mineral as well

Not always. A lot of suspension fluid is a hybrid of synthetic and mineral.

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 11:58 Quote
seraph wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:
seraph wrote:


I'm pretty sure that Reverb fluid is not mineral oil. IIRC it's 2.5wt suspension fluid.
That's mineral as well

Not always. A lot of suspension fluid is a hybrid of synthetic and mineral.

Interchangeable and compatible so not an issue

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 12:37 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
seraph wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:

That's mineral as well

Not always. A lot of suspension fluid is a hybrid of synthetic and mineral.

Interchangeable and compatible so not an issue

It is an issue if the SRAM hydraulic line is not designed for it.

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 13:00 Quote
So far I've never seen a hose or a line to be designated for mineral/semisynthetic/synthetic oil, there are the dot spec and the rest. I never saw a line damaged by oilI instead is the seals that go if you mix up the fluids.

Always use 2.5 motorex or belray suspension fluid in all mineral brakes and my reverb, no issues whatsoever, because of availability

Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 10:22 Quote
How often are you guys changing your brake fluid? Should the fluid run relatively clear or is this level of burned/dirty normal between brake fluid changes? Fluid last changed with the last pad replacement last fall. I thought replacing fluids with pads was ok but I'm wondering if I should be doing it more frequently


Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 10:26 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
How often are you guys changing your brake fluid? Should the fluid run relatively clear or is this level of burned/dirty normal between brake fluid changes? Fluid last changed with the last pad replacement last fall. I thought replacing fluids with pads was ok but I'm wondering if I should be doing it more frequently


That fluid is f*cked. Brake fluid should be transparent. Red for Shimano and Tektro/TRP (mineral), blue for Magura (mineral), yellow for SRAM/Avid (dot).

Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 10:28 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
How often are you guys changing your brake fluid? Should the fluid run relatively clear or is this level of burned/dirty normal between brake fluid changes? Fluid last changed with the last pad replacement last fall. I thought replacing fluids with pads was ok but I'm wondering if I should be doing it more frequently


Eww that fluid is gross, it should be bright red

Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 10:34 Quote
seraph wrote:
freestyIAM wrote:
How often are you guys changing your brake fluid? Should the fluid run relatively clear or is this level of burned/dirty normal between brake fluid changes? Fluid last changed with the last pad replacement last fall. I thought replacing fluids with pads was ok but I'm wondering if I should be doing it more frequently


That fluid is f*cked. Brake fluid should be transparent. Red for Shimano and Tektro/TRP (mineral), blue for Magura (mineral), yellow for SRAM/Avid (dot).

Ya, fluid def f*cked but curious if you guys get this level of dirty in the time it takes to wear down a single set of pads or about 3 Mos of regular 2s a week riding?

Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 10:35 Quote
It depends on the conditions, my magura fluid changes to somewhat this every 1.5 or 2 pad changes

Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 10:35 Quote
Dark grey is the worst I saw in about a year of use and multible sets of pads. What brakes/fluid is this?

Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 11:46 Quote
Shimano m675 w Shimano red fluid


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.023077
Mobile Version of Website