Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 13:33 Quote
I'm thinking there might be something allowing contaminants to enter your hose system, possibly through the pistons.

Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 16:56 Quote
quick question dudes;. I just picked up a like new Hightower V2 frame and when i went to put my fork on and tighten the steerer tube to preload bearings i noticed that i could barely get the top cap tightened before the fork begins to seize up and bind or something. This is my first experience with integrated headsets so im not sure if i even installed the fork correctly. Coming from a YT Jeffsy that had a Chris King ZS44 headset. The crown race that's on my fork is the Chris King one, could that cause the issue? Heres some pics

[/PI[PI=20817463]]

Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 18:30 Quote
You need the crown race for the integrated headset that’s in the frame. They are specific for every headset (or at least manufacturer).

Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 19:02 Quote
You'll need the Cane Creek crown race.

Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 19:07 Quote
seraph wrote:
I'm thinking there might be something allowing contaminants to enter your hose system, possibly through the pistons.

Possibly part of the problem, but Shimano also refuses to hard ano their master pistons so metal will slowly wear into the fluid regardless. This problem is worse on their lower end brakes especially with hard riding.

Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 19:28 Quote
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
quick question dudes;. I just picked up a like new Hightower V2 frame and when i went to put my fork on and tighten the steerer tube to preload bearings i noticed that i could barely get the top cap tightened before the fork begins to seize up and bind or something. This is my first experience with integrated headsets so im not sure if i even installed the fork correctly. Coming from a YT Jeffsy that had a Chris King ZS44 headset. The crown race that's on my fork is the Chris King one, could that cause the issue? Heres some pics

[/PI[PI=20817463]]
Lower bearing looks crooked, and yes, you need proper crown race,they are not a universal standard as many seem to assume. It always cracks me up when someone sells a used frame or fork with a partial headset.

Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 21:36 Quote
That is some nasty brake fluid it reminds me of a used marzocchi fork I bought back in the day. Don’t think the oil was ever changed in them.

Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 1:34 Quote
Duderz7 wrote:
gnarcissistictendency wrote:

[/PI[PI=20817463]]
Lower bearing looks crooked, and yes, you need proper crown race,they are not a universal standard as many seem to assume. It always cracks me up when someone sells a used frame or fork with a partial headset.

It's an integrated headset, so the bearing can't be crooked unless the bearing seat in the frame is out of spec. It's probably just not fully seated in the picture.

Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 7:12 Quote
Thanks guys. Ya I swapped the crown race and all is fine now

Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 10:46 Quote
seraph wrote:
Highly possible shimano pistons are prone to micro cracks in the ceramic

Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 11:42 Quote
Guys please help.
I over-tighten rear axle on Fuel EX 2020 and I cant unscrew rear wheel, any advice?
Today I put wd40 on the end of the axle and I will wait until tomorrow to try again...
Do you know any other method?

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 13:44 Quote
Brdjanin wrote:
Guys please help.
I over-tighten rear axle on Fuel EX 2020 and I cant unscrew rear wheel, any advice?
Today I put wd40 on the end of the axle and I will wait until tomorrow to try again...

Thanks in advance.

If you can't get it out, or the head strips, you'll have to cut through the hub end cap and cut through the axle.

Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 14:35 Quote
Brdjanin wrote:
Guys please help.

Thanks in advance.

If the threaded side has a spot for the allen wrench try that side first, sometimes its a bigger hex head with more engagement than the usual spot, can make it easier, plus if that side strips you still have the other side

Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 15:53 Quote
tbeezle wrote:
Brdjanin wrote:
Guys please help.

Thanks in advance.

If the threaded side has a spot for the allen wrench try that side first, sometimes its a bigger hex head with more engagement than the usual spot, can make it easier, plus if that side strips you still have the other side
If you can get good engagement on it with a Allen wrench, try using a 1/4 inch impact driver, sometimes it's the shock of the impact that will save the day. Worst case it strips and you are back to cutting. Hope it doesn't get there for you.

Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 16:00 Quote
I may have stripped my bottom bracket on my Trek Scratch 9 (2011). It has the Fox DHX RC-4, I want to look for a new frame, how do I get started with compatibility?

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023420
Mobile Version of Website