Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 16:07 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
noakeabean wrote:
I have a RockShox Pike fork (its a little older) and it is supposed to be a 160mm fork. It is sucked down in its travel so it only have about 140mm of travel. How do I fix this? I have 75 psi in it. Thanks!

The suck down is either because you have a vacuum in your lowers or because you have some gunk keeping your pos and neg air chambers from equalizing. In order of difficulty

1) burp your lowers by sliding a zip tie past the main wiper seal
2) burp the lowers by undoing the foot nuts and separating the lowers from the upper rods
3) remove your air spring and remove the offending grease plug, reassemble with an appropriate amount of grease
I burped the lowers to no avail. To do your third idea, do I have to do a complete fork service? As in take it apart? I know how to do this but its just a lot of work.

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 16:17 Quote
noakeabean wrote:
freestyIAM wrote:
noakeabean wrote:
I have a RockShox Pike fork (its a little older) and it is supposed to be a 160mm fork. It is sucked down in its travel so it only have about 140mm of travel. How do I fix this? I have 75 psi in it. Thanks!

The suck down is either because you have a vacuum in your lowers or because you have some gunk keeping your pos and neg air chambers from equalizing. In order of difficulty

2) burp the lowers by undoing the foot nuts and separating the lowers from the upper rods
3) remove your air spring and remove the offending grease plug, reassemble with an appropriate amount of grease
I burped the lowers to no avail. To do your third idea, do I have to do a complete fork service? As in take it apart? I know how to do this but its just a lot of work.

It's not that hard, you will need slickoleum and this.

you will not need oil if you remove the lowers horizontal

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 16:18 Quote
Brandonzamp wrote:
Looking at buying a set of 2005-2007 Marzocchi All Mountain 2 forks for cheap. Reason they're cheap is that they apparently lose air while under weight, which would rule out a faulty schrader valve. Anyone have any idea what could be the issue? Based on my reading I understand that it can be as simple as a bad o-ring or possibly a bad air cartridge.

Thanks, any ideas would help!
Not sure how that rules out the Schrader valve, that's the first and easiest thing to check, not particularly familiar with this exact fork, but often times some thick fork oil or good old atf on top of the air piston will seal things up. If I remember correctly this is during a time when marzocchi qc was lacking, especially on their air forks.

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 16:21 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
noakeabean wrote:
freestyIAM wrote:

It's not that hard, you will need slickoleum and this.

you will not need oil if you remove the lowers horizontal
Umm...ok. I'll take it to my LBS and see what they say! I will keep this in mind though!

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 16:54 Quote
Duderz7 wrote:
Brandonzamp wrote:
Looking at buying a set of 2005-2007 Marzocchi All Mountain 2 forks for cheap. Reason they're cheap is that they apparently lose air while under weight, which would rule out a faulty schrader valve. Anyone have any idea what could be the issue? Based on my reading I understand that it can be as simple as a bad o-ring or possibly a bad air cartridge.

Not sure how that rules out the Schrader valve, that's the first and easiest thing to check, not particularly familiar with this exact fork, but often times some thick fork oil or good old atf on top of the air piston will seal things up. If I remember correctly this is during a time when marzocchi qc was lacking, especially on their air forks.

Figured the Schrader could be ruled out because if that was the issue, they'd probably leak all the time? That's what I've been reading, I guess it's sometime around 2005 or so that shit started to go downhill for them (or you could say stopped going downhill) when it came to their air forks. Is it the same story when it comes to their forks without air? No ATA, ETA and all that bs

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 17:11 Quote
Hi!
I've lost my pinch bolt & nut from my Fox 38 factory, that secures the Kabolt-X axle.
Fox said, I shall buy the "803-01-811 Service Set", but I just wanna know the exact size of the bolt&nut since I wanna change them to titanium anyvay. Can somebody give me the type&size of that bolt&nut?

cheers

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 17:13 Quote
Twike wrote:
Hi!
I've lost my pinch bolt & nut from my Fox 38 factory, that secures the Kabolt-X axle.
Fox said, I shall buy the "803-01-811 Service Set", but I just wanna know the exact size of the bolt&nut since I wanna change them to titanium anyvay. Can somebody give me the type&size of that bolt&nut?

cheers
Just bring the bolt to the hardware store and they can tell you what it is

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 17:20 Quote
I cannot bring any bolt to the store, since its came loose and I've lost it, thats the point. Smile

noakeabean wrote:
Twike wrote:
Hi!

cheers

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 17:23 Quote
Twike wrote:
I cannot bring any bolt to the store, since its came loose and I've lost it, thats the point. Smile

noakeabean wrote:
Twike wrote:
Hi!

cheers
Isn't there two?

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 17:28 Quote
[P=https://images.immediate.co.uk/production/volatile/sites/21/2020/04/2021-Fox-38-992e6a2.jpg?quality=90&resize=768,574 size=m align=c][/P]
theres only one in the 38, as you can see in the pic.

noakeabean wrote:
Twike wrote:

noakeabean wrote:

Isn't there two?

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 18:24 Quote
Twike wrote:
Hi!

cheers

I can't confirm this info is correct, but I found this.

Material: aluminum
Hub standard: 15 x 110 mm | Boost
Compatibility: 36/38 mm FOX suspension forks from 2021
Axle length: 155 mm
Axle diameter: 15 mm
Thread pitch: M14x1.5
Thread length: 12 mm
Contact surface, not thread side: flat
Tool holder: 6 mm hexagon socket
Max. permissible torque: 9 Nm
Color: Black

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 18:32 Quote
watch123 wrote:
Twike wrote:
Hi!

cheers

Isn't OP looking for the pinch bolt dims, not the thru axel dims?

https://betterbolts.com/products/fox-axle-titanium-pinch-bolt-and-square-nut

M6×16

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 21:10 Quote
Brandonzamp wrote:
Duderz7 wrote:
Brandonzamp wrote:

Figured the Schrader could be ruled out because if that was the issue, they'd probably leak all the time? That's what I've been reading, I guess it's sometime around 2005 or so that shit started to go downhill for them (or you could say stopped going downhill) when it came to their air forks. Is it the same story when it comes to their forks without air? No ATA, ETA and all that bs
Yup, I had a 2008 66 with Ata, thank goodness for the 3 year warranty, first time it was damper; replaced with 2009, next year ATA pooped itself and was replaced with the ti spring from 2010. Year after that and three sets of seals later the nickel coated stanchions flaked and it wouldn't hold oil anymore, and warranty was over on top of that. And yet I have marzocchi forks from the late 90's still in working order.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 1:33 Quote
Thats it!

thanks, much appreciated!

freestyIAM wrote:
watch123 wrote:
Twike wrote:
Hi!

cheers

Isn't OP looking for the pinch bolt dims, not the thru axel dims?

https://betterbolts.com/products/fox-axle-titanium-pinch-bolt-and-square-nut

M6×16

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 8:57 Quote
jimbomodder wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
jimbomodder wrote:
rebuilt them today and when pumped up they show 120mm travel? Also one compression cycle and the springs all popped off again. Any ideas?

how much travel are they supposed to have and how much pressure did you put in?
sold to me as 80mm. I put 75psi in.

Due to the coil negative spring, excessive pressure in the air spring will increase the travel available. However 75psi is not particularly excessive and 40mm extra travel is more than I'd expect to see. My guess is that the little roll-pin used to adjust travel has fallen out or failed. I'd need photos of the spring disassembled again to say any better than that. As for the springs falling off again after 1 compression, sounds like the seats are no longer clipping on to the springs correctly. Or the spring retainer plate has come unclipped and fallen out of the bottom of the stanchion again. Sounds like you need to take it apart again and have a look inside.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012581
Mobile Version of Website