Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 4:53 Quote
Don't suppose anyone has come across any oil height info for Rockshox forks before?

I was changing the oil in a Turnkey damper fork but when added the correct amount of oil according to the oil chart it came all the way up to the threads at the top of the stanchion. I've removed some of the oil so that the oil level is only slightly higher than the length of the damper body, and the lockout is working now, but I'd like to be sure that there's not more oil than there should be.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 8:42 Quote
As long as you can cycle the fork through full travel without it bottoming out on the oil it should be good.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 9:32 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
As long as you can cycle the fork through full travel without it bottoming out on the oil it should be good.

This

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 10:13 Quote
Thanks, passes that test.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 13:18 Quote
On any rockshox motion control damper (basically any damper where if you unscrew the damper side top cap, a 5" long plastic tube with holes in it comes out, attached to the underside of the cap) Then you basically just need to fill the stanchion with oil until it comes about 1cm over the bottom of the plastic tube. Then check you can still achieve full bottom out.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 14:32 Quote
dingus wrote:
Don't suppose anyone has come across any oil height info for Rockshox forks before?

I was changing the oil in a Turnkey damper fork but when added the correct amount of oil according to the oil chart it came all the way up to the threads at the top of the stanchion. I've removed some of the oil so that the oil level is only slightly higher than the length of the damper body, and the lockout is working now, but I'd like to be sure that there's not more oil than there should be.
try here https://biketechtools.com/forks/oil-volumes/rockshox/select-fork

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 15:08 Quote
Yeah, that's the oil volume I got from the rockshox chart, but it was way too much for some reason. Not a problem I've had previously.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 20:35 Quote
my cranks are creaking under load and driving me craaaaazy...replaced my bottom bracket, greased all my pivots and tightened all my bolts...what else is there? chain guide? chain?

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 20:40 Quote
Chainring, pedals? Also if you are running a newer Shimano drivetrain there have been reports of creaking cassettes.

Also check all you bearings sometimes when the suspension cycles under load it sounds like the bb/cranks

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 20:43 Quote
numbphase wrote:
my cranks are creaking under load and driving me craaaaazy...replaced my bottom bracket, greased all my pivots and tightened all my bolts...what else is there? chain guide? chain?

Check to see if its your seat - mine is currently creaking like crazy.

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 6:15 Quote
still creaky if i put load on the crank arms without touching the pedals, or sitting on the seat. im thinking maybe it's the chainring. i'll have to take the chain guide off to access the bolts though...hopefully i can get it sorted

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 8:25 Quote
What kind of cranks ? carbon or alloy?

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 9:12 Quote
I had to put oil on the rivets of my XT cassette, & re-lube my XT freehub to get rid of creaking.
Honestly, expected better from Shimano.

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 11:25 Quote
Have SLX cassettes on both my bikes, one of which got ridden 3000km over a northern Swedish winter. Haven’t noticed any creaking or other issues, although the coating is wearing off a little on the 16 and 18t now that it’s done ~5000km.

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 14:41 Quote
I have a Rocky Mountain growler from 2020 and for the life of me I can’t figure out how to take off the front wheel. I’m probably missing something really easy but on the opposite of the quick release there is a special locking thing I have never seen and things are not going my way. Can someone help?

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018494
Mobile Version of Website