Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Aug 3, 2021 at 7:14 Quote
Anyone ever cut down a tire insert from 29 to 27.5?

Have an extra 29 rimpact I want to toss in a 27.5 rim... Mostly curious what kind of glue would be recommended? My first thought is super but that can eat some foams. Or should I just pull a huck Norris and zip tie the halves together?

Posted: Aug 3, 2021 at 7:19 Quote
gotohe11carolina wrote:
For clarification, why was it unserviceable? Was the damper rod bent, have they ceased supporting it, etc. This may be a case of just asking the wrong entity for support. Specialized ended support of some of their brain shocks, but a competent lbs/suspension center can still service it.

Hi mate, that’s interesting I think the the guy said the ‘internal shaft was bent’ which he said was an unsolvable problem due to the lack of spare parts or something. In honesty I should ring up again and get a more detailed diagnosis but they seemed very short with me throughout the whole process tbh.

Posted: Aug 3, 2021 at 7:27 Quote
Mtownshredder wrote:
gotohe11carolina wrote:
For clarification, why was it unserviceable? Was the damper rod bent, have they ceased supporting it, etc. This may be a case of just asking the wrong entity for support. Specialized ended support of some of their brain shocks, but a competent lbs/suspension center can still service it.

Hi mate, that’s interesting I think the the guy said the ‘internal shaft was bent’ which he said was an unsolvable problem due to the lack of spare parts or something. In honesty I should ring up again and get a more detailed diagnosis but they seemed very short with me throughout the whole process tbh.

He is probably true, rockshox doesn't sell shaft assemblys for shocks

Posted: Aug 3, 2021 at 8:08 Quote
Yes and bent damper shafts were a pretty common problem on the Clevis style suspension of the enduro of that vintage. Suspension makers probably could’ve saved end users some heartache by informing them to decrease maintenance intervals since Specialized pretty much refused to acknowledge a problem.
So your new problem is finding a shock. Some of the more knowledgeable specialized guys can probably point you straight, but I think swapping in the bike yoke yoke is the easiest fix and opens you up to some other options. I believe it was also supposed to help with the side loading that kills shocks so quickly on those bikes.

Posted: Aug 3, 2021 at 8:27 Quote
glm wrote:
Hi - anyone know the best way to remove the roller bearings from a Fox DH2x Coil shock - I need to get the bearings off so i can swap out the spring but all the Fox suppliers are out of the OE tool... looking for alternative methods?!

Hammer and screw driver mate gently tap the cups out. Pain in the arse them bearings

Posted: Aug 3, 2021 at 12:33 Quote
rclugnut wrote:
Anyone ever cut down a tire insert from 29 to 27.5?

Have an extra 29 rimpact I want to toss in a 27.5 rim... Mostly curious what kind of glue would be recommended? My first thought is super but that can eat some foams. Or should I just pull a huck Norris and zip tie the halves together?

Full HUCK NORRIS!!!!

*also I'm not a mechanic.

Posted: Aug 3, 2021 at 12:46 Quote
gotohe11carolina wrote:
Yes and bent damper shafts were a pretty common problem on the Clevis style suspension of the enduro of that vintage. Suspension makers probably could’ve saved end users some heartache by informing them to decrease maintenance intervals since Specialized pretty much refused to acknowledge a problem.
So your new problem is finding a shock. Some of the more knowledgeable specialized guys can probably point you straight, but I think swapping in the bike yoke yoke is the easiest fix and opens you up to some other options. I believe it was also supposed to help with the side loading that kills shocks so quickly on those bikes.

if he wants to solve it quick either he has to be very lucky to find one shock on buysell or the cheapest option is double barrel. Yoke+shock is more expensive then only buying compatible cane creek

Posted: Aug 3, 2021 at 13:45 Quote
Double barrel is a great option. I love the three I currently have.
You might be a better resource on this than I am, but running the DB doesn’t fix the side loading issue inherent to the design does it? Does the yoke do that either? I’ll admit, I’m out of my element on that one. I know that CC will swap the ends if you decide to go from the clevis to a std mount for fairly inexpensively during a rebuild.

Posted: Aug 3, 2021 at 13:52 Quote
No it wont fix but neither the yoke fixes it as far as i know, yoke itself is 120€ which isn't cheap and you have to spend at least 300+ to get a worthy shock for that bike (monarch plus is 340) . Double barrel was 400€ when i bought it and it's the only available option that fits the bike currently on sale . Unless you can find a shock from buysell or ebay there is only 1 option that makes sense

Yoke might makes sense on the long run tho. CC won't produce those shocks for more than 1 or 2 year probably

Posted: Aug 3, 2021 at 19:31 Quote
gotohe11carolina wrote:
Double barrel is a great option. I love the three I currently have.
You might be a better resource on this than I am, but running the DB doesn’t fix the side loading issue inherent to the design does it? Does the yoke do that either? I’ll admit, I’m out of my element on that one. I know that CC will swap the ends if you decide to go from the clevis to a std mount for fairly inexpensively during a rebuild.
that Enduro eats shocks for breakfast.

When I had one, my DB IL lasted 3 rides and my DBA CS lasted half a ride.

Best shock I had on it was a Monarch Plus debonair but it ate that in about 6 months.

Posted: Aug 4, 2021 at 2:36 Quote
If you can find a Fox Float CTD, DPS or RP23 that fits, then they are absolutely bomb proof little shocks, and Fox supply all parts as spares relatively inexpensively so if a damper shaft wears you can have it replaced. A similarly bombproof (and much higher performance) option would be an Ohlins ttx coil, but they are over twice the price of a CTD.

Posted: Aug 4, 2021 at 6:13 Quote
Nobble, did you have any experience with the yoke conversion? My basic understanding of the problem was that the clevis turned the shock into a rigid portion of the system. It seems like it would allow the shock to float which would take stress of it and put it back on the frame/pivots.

Posted: Aug 4, 2021 at 11:54 Quote
tbeezle wrote:
olas2002 wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with mixing shimano levers with magura calipers, more specifically shimano hydro road leavers with a magura dual-piston caliper. I've been having a lot of trouble with shimano ultegra calipers rubbing after long decents and was thinking that magura calipers might deal with heat better.

Thanks

hope makes a caliper specifically for this thats supposed to work great

The Shigura option is fine, Froome ran it at the Tour. Either that or the Hope option both work well

Posted: Aug 4, 2021 at 12:05 Quote
The Hope RX4 calipers are neat but their initial setup is a big pain in the ass. Once they are set up correctly they are very powerful and feel awesome. I can only attest to the SRAM ones though. I assume the Shimano ones work similarly.

Posted: Aug 4, 2021 at 16:53 Quote
Can I reuse the shock mounting hardware when upgrading from a 210x50 Rockshox Deluxe Ultimate to a 210x55 Super deluxe ultimate?

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018908
Mobile Version of Website