Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 6:27 Quote
Just a general question - I see that different coil shock manufacturers have different length springs for the same stroke shocks - why and what difference does it make? For example, I’ve got a super deluxe coil and the spring is fairly long compared to if I bought an Ohlins in the same stroke. Just curious, thanks.

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 10:21 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
chacou wrote:
Super dumb one here, does Ohlins brand shock hardware fit a DVO/Fox shock?

Probably....
Ohlins have used a few different hardware sizes over the years. Most of their stuff is the same as Fox now. I think DVO have always been pretty standard, don't quote me though. Standard (Fox) size is a 12.7mm shaft on the hardware, and a 15mm hole in the shock eyelet.

Your spacers (either side of the shock eyelet, on the hardware) might need to be a different width, depending on whether your shock bushings are a metal sleeve that pushes in flush whith the eyelet, or two seperate cream coloured polymer pieces that overhang the eyelet 1mm either side.

Thanks. Yeah DVO is standard, whatever Suntour and Fox uses I've found. I've currently got a few sets of spacers for my igus bushings but the shaft is too long (I did consider I could cut this down if needed). I don't have the proper 8x35 and 8x20 hardware needed, and the only sets I could find in stock quickly are Ohlins brand, they should be here today so we'll soon find out.

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 12:01 Quote
oatkinso wrote:
Just a general question - I see that different coil shock manufacturers have different length springs for the same stroke shocks - why and what difference does it make? For example, I’ve got a super deluxe coil and the spring is fairly long compared to if I bought an Ohlins in the same stroke. Just curious, thanks.

Higher quality springs use better quality materials. Better materials allow the same springrate to be acheived while using thinner wire. This allows spring manufacturers to get more stroke out of shorter springs. The main advantage of this is a fairly substantial weight reduction. The higher quality springs also come with a host of other benefits. They last longer, don't set (get shorter over time) as much, and have much better accuracy (the stated spring rate is much closer to the actual spring rate)

Rockshox springs cost around £35. Ohlins springs cost around £95. I'd go with the Ohlins every time, it is worth the extra cost for the improved accuracy alone.

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 12:04 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
What's the opinion on those short/light weight coils that use a big spacer? Only asking as I don't see many about lately....

They're really good. The reason you don't see so many big spacers under them these days is that metric shocks tend to have much shorter srokes than imperial shocks commonly used, so the spring doesn't have as large a gap to span from one spring seat to the other.

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 12:05 Quote
Be aware though. Using a spacer to make a spring fit a shock with more stroke than the spring is designed to cope with is gonna get very expensive very quickly, ie it will snap your shock. I have seen quite a few people do this over the years and its a terrible idea.

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 3:54 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
Higher quality springs use better quality materials. Better materials allow the same springrate to be acheived while using thinner wire. This allows spring manufacturers to get more stroke out of shorter springs. The main advantage of this is a fairly substantial weight reduction. The higher quality springs also come with a host of other benefits. They last longer, don't set (get shorter over time) as much, and have much better accuracy (the stated spring rate is much closer to the actual spring rate)

Rockshox springs cost around £35. Ohlins springs cost around £95. I'd go with the Ohlins every time, it is worth the extra cost for the improved accuracy alone.

Cheers

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 4:54 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
Be aware though. Using a spacer to make a spring fit a shock with more stroke than the spring is designed to cope with is gonna get very expensive very quickly, ie it will snap your shock. I have seen quite a few people do this over the years and its a terrible idea.

So if a light/short coils is sold as 2.5-3" its definitely safe for a 3" damper?

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 4:55 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
I have used KMC chains with good success over the years. They do tend to wear a bit faster so keep an eye on that.
KMC it is then, thanks guys.

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 12:17 Quote
Got a 36 RC2 is this normal, only on one side

this is the other side

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 12:31 Quote
Kidklayko wrote:
Got a 36 RC2 is this normal, only on one side

this is the other side

hard to say from just the amount of junk on the wiper seals. You should perform a lower leg service ASAP and while you have the lowers off, pull the damper cartridge out and inspect.

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 12:53 Quote
Anyone know anything about E THIRTEEN TRS PLUS 12 SPEED CHAIN? $44 at jensonusa, says it only works with sram eagle which is what I need. Ordered it cause I need a chain, but I also have my reservations about E13 products.
BTW, the ohilns hardware works just fine. Although now I want to get the Fox shock hardware bearings, 8x30 is in stock, but I need 8x35, I'm thinking it'll work with some washers/spacers.

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 12:59 Quote
chacou wrote:
Anyone know anything about E THIRTEEN TRS PLUS 12 SPEED CHAIN? $44 at jensonusa, says it only works with sram eagle which is what I need. Ordered it cause I need a chain, but I also have my reservations about E13 products.
BTW, the ohilns hardware works just fine. Although now I want to get the Fox shock hardware bearings, 8x30 is in stock, but I need 8x35, I'm thinking it'll work with some washers/spacers.

It looks like it's a YBN chain, made for E.13 not by E.13 so that should ease your conscience I guess. I've had great luck with E.13 stuff though.

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 13:01 Quote
seraph wrote:
chacou wrote:

It looks like it's a YBN chain, made for E.13 not by E.13 so that should ease your conscience I guess. I've had great luck with E.13 stuff though.

Thanks. Haha, yeah, I know they don't actually manufacture most of their stuff. I have the MoPo tires that I like but they're made for E13 by Vee, I've got their carbon rims too. Their mechanical dropper post and aluminum rims are not so good.

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 13:03 Quote
I've collected up everything available to refresh my Fox 08 F100 RLC fork.

Fox seals / foam rings / crushwasher kit
Fox top cap o-ring for damper side
Fox Float fluid (8oz bottle)
Fox 10wt Red (liter bottle)
decided against trying to replace the sliders in the lowers. may tackle that at next service though...

The rest of the original rebuild kit (which appears to contain multiple o-rings for the damper assembly, among other things....) is NLA.

Should I disassemble the damper, as I've seen in some YT vids, and look to source and replace all the other o-rings ?

Is there anything else you recommend I do while I'm in here?

I appreciate everyone's feedback on this little project so far.

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 13:04 Quote
patisfaction wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:
SRAM chain will be fine but will not shift quite as well as if it had a Shimano chain.

Thank you.

Had a difficult time indexing shifting. Works very nice though.

Will swap for a shimano chain and chain ring someday.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016477
Mobile Version of Website