Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 15:13 Quote
Bryden-smith wrote:
OK sounds good I’m thinking about looking at the dampening rod is I’ve already torn apart the compression side and its looking good do you know if there’s any special things I should know before doing that

It's really hard to give advice in a forum without a specific question. And frankly, your writing makes it really hard to figure out what you're trying to ask. I'm surprised folks have been as nice as they have been so far.

In short, yeah, there's a ton of "special things" you should know before tearing apart your damper. Just... just RTFM, okay? Look up some YouTube videos. This is a Pinkbike forum, not UBI.

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 15:25 Quote
Okey will do sorry for making it so hard to read I will be more careful to triple check my writing before sending it thanks for telling me that by and I’m just asking so meany question bc I’m really new to this and still trying to figure everything out again sorry I’ll try to make my writing make more sense and ask less complex questions

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 15:56 Quote
Bryden-smith wrote:
Lol Have you guys looked at the pick up above At the pic posted by the other guy of the fork I’m just wondering if I’m using up too much travel I’m wondering if I should potentially Upgrade to a stiffer spring or is that the amount of travel you’re supposed to be using up I’ve been hitting drops but nothing terribly big

I actually answered your question in my reply.

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 0:30 Quote
Bryden-smith wrote:
Okey will do sorry for making it so hard to read I will be more careful to triple check my writing before sending it thanks for telling me that by and I’m just asking so meany question bc I’m really new to this and still trying to figure everything out again sorry I’ll try to make my writing make more sense and ask less complex questions

Punctuation is the key. You are hard to read (and understand) because you never use any comma, colon, semi-colon etc.
Punctuation is not optional or useless. It helps the reader understands how your thought is articulated by structuring it.
This is very basic knowledge that you probably have, so if you want to be listened to, make the effort of respecting other users' time and effort by punctuating your writing.

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 6:04 Quote
I'm just picturing a bunch of mechanics sitting around in leather armchairs, wearing sweater vests with elbow patches and reading Norton's Anthology of English Literature lol

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 9:59 Quote
Naw, Chicago Manual of Style here...

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 10:08 Quote
Especially when asking a question, it's important to try to be as concise and clear as possible. It may sound shallow but if I have to basically translate a question into plain English, I will likely skip over it. Slow down, use punctuation, collect your thoughts and try to imagine that you're speaking instead of typing.

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 13:06 Quote
The Elements of Style or nothing.

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 14:59 Quote
Bryden-smith wrote:
OK sounds good I’m thinking about looking at the dampening rod is I’ve already torn apart the compression side and its looking good do you know if there’s any special things I should know before doing that

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&listall=service

Not sure what year your fork is, but if you can find that out, then all the info you need should be somewhere in the link above.

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 20:02 Quote
Anyone know how short a spoke is too short?

I got the wrong size. I laced up the wheel and that went fine. I suspect there will be some threads showing on the spokes but I should have 5-8 turns on each spoke. Brass pro lock nipples.

I usually get the right length but screwed up the ERD measurement (used the new mk4 instead of the old MK3 measurement). If I get a new MK4 rim the measurement will be perfect. If I can run this I will. I suspect 8 full turns is likely plenty for strength purposes. I wonder if things will hold though. Will I be constantly re-tensioning the wheels?

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 20:28 Quote
5 turns doesn't sound like a lot. But If you have more than a couple threads showing, I'd look into changing it for the mk4

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 20:47 Quote
Is that with 12mm nipples? Find some 14mm long nipples and it will be much cheaper than buying new spokes.

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 21:38 Quote
jubs17 wrote:
Is that with 12mm nipples? Find some 14mm long nipples and it will be much cheaper than buying new spokes.

Yup 12mm. Good point. I think that is what I will do. Thanks for that

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 12:05 Quote
Hello!

First time poster and absolute noob!

Trashed my rear wheel so looking to pick up a new set.

Had my sights set on a set of hunts trail wide MTB wheels but they’re 10-142 and my current rear hub is 10-135.

Any idea if this would be possible or is it a waste of time? Look for something else?

This is my current bike

https://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/bikes/mountain-bikes/saracen-mantra-trail-2020-mountain-bike__35544

Thanks in advance

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 12:20 Quote
What drop out does your frame have? You're definitely gonna need 135mm

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012569
Mobile Version of Website