Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 12:35 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
What drop out does your frame have? You're definitely gonna need 135mm

Thanks for the reply mate! Feel like an absolute idiot but I can’t seem to find out what drop out I have.

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 13:39 Quote
Hello
Im currently servicing a 2012 rockshox boxxer rc. I went to a local bike shop and they said i can use the new rockshox seals instead of the flanged seals that came stock on the fork. They said i can use them as long as i dont insert the dust wiper too far. Has anyone done this service and do you know how far in the seals should be above the foam o-rings?. Thanks

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 13:55 Quote
CocoPlops wrote:
nojzilla wrote:

Thanks for the reply mate! Feel like an absolute idiot but I can’t seem to find out what drop out I have.

There are 2 options really is it 12mm axle or is it an old style quick release?

If it's a 12mm axle then almost any 142 wheel should be able to be adapted but may be hard to find the right end caps since most bikes are 142 now.

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 14:09 Quote
CocoPlops wrote:
Hello!

First time poster and absolute noob!

Trashed my rear wheel so looking to pick up a new set.

Had my sights set on a set of hunts trail wide MTB wheels but they’re 10-142 and my current rear hub is 10-135.

Any idea if this would be possible or is it a waste of time? Look for something else?

This is my current bike

https://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/bikes/mountain-bikes/saracen-mantra-trail-2020-mountain-bike__35544

Thanks in advance

You might be in luck, because your frame uses Saracen’s “Chip Slot” replaceable dropout system. I’d take it to your local dealer and see if they have or can order a set of dropouts that’s will convert your 10x135mm QR dropouts to 12x142mm thru-axle that the Hunts you’re looking at use.

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 14:12 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
CocoPlops wrote:
nojzilla wrote:

If it's a 12mm axle then almost any 142 wheel should be able to be adapted but may be hard to find the right end caps since most bikes are 142 now.

Based on the bike specs it’s 135 QR. Came with an Alivio QR hub.

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 16:43 Quote
bikefreak720 wrote:
Hello
Im currently servicing a 2012 rockshox boxxer rc. I went to a local bike shop and they said i can use the new rockshox seals instead of the flanged seals that came stock on the fork. They said i can use them as long as i dont insert the dust wiper too far. Has anyone done this service and do you know how far in the seals should be above the foam o-rings?. Thanks

I ran into the same thing recently, and one of the regular posters here (can't remember who) told me to go until the top of the seal is flush with the top of the machined recess.

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 16:54 Quote
tannerzinck wrote:
bikefreak720 wrote:
Hello

I ran into the same thing recently, and one of the regular posters here (can't remember who) told me to go until the top of the seal is flush with the top of the machined recess.

Thanks! ill give that a shot

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 19:08 Quote
bikefreak720 wrote:
tannerzinck wrote:
bikefreak720 wrote:
Hello

Thanks! ill give that a shot

If you cut the inner flange off the old seal, you can use it to tap the new one in if you don't have a seal driver. I wasn't able to get the seals in by freezing them and just pushing them in by hand.

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 23:24 Quote
melanthius wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:
CocoPlops wrote:

Based on the bike specs it’s 135 QR. Came with an Alivio QR hub.

I would say the best hub for a 135qr is a Hope 10mm bolt up. This will stiffen the the rear axle RIGHT up!

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 0:10 Quote
CocoPlops wrote:
Hello!

First time poster and absolute noob!

Trashed my rear wheel so looking to pick up a new set.

Had my sights set on a set of hunts trail wide MTB wheels but they’re 10-142 and my current rear hub is 10-135.

Any idea if this would be possible or is it a waste of time? Look for something else?

This is my current bike

https://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/bikes/mountain-bikes/saracen-mantra-trail-2020-mountain-bike__35544

Thanks in advance

Hope Hubs, maybe one of their built wheels

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 11:18 Quote
Hi, I have a Cannondale BB30 frame with an alloy shell and am changing the bearings. It’s recommended to use a retaining compound for installing them. I have a bottle of Park Tool RC-1 which says you should use the Park Tool adhesive primer first or your bearings may become permanently bonded. Can’t find any of this in stock for under €30. Is it necessary for an alloy shell or only mandatory for carbon frames.
Thanks

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 11:34 Quote
Hmm, Cannondale doing everything they can to preempt creaky BB30s when they literally invented the technology in the first place lol

I've never used retaining compound on an alloy shell before, only carbon shells.

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 11:52 Quote
I would probably use loctite 641 or something similar designed for a press-fit.

IMO It’s better to use a retaining compound that’s too weak and have to redo it than one that’s too aggressive and make it a bitch to replace.

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 16:00 Quote
Hi,
Should the CaneCreek 40 ZS56/40 Lower
Headset cup have a dust seal between the bearing and the crown race?

Trying to determine if I'm missing something.

I have the lower cup, the bearing and the crown race.

Thanks.

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 16:08 Quote
Oh, I don't have the official Cane Creek crown race which I see has a blue seal.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017401
Mobile Version of Website