Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 16:46 Quote
Can I use RockShox fork fluid in my Olin's DH-38? Or do I have to find that specific oil they recommend? Cuz that seems pretty dang hard to find.

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 23:52 Quote
Hi! I got a 2015/16 Giant reign the other day and discovered some pretty nasty cable rub on the lower link, right up against a weld. Safe to ride? I didn't even know this level of cable rub was possible to be honest, it really ate into it

Pic
http://imgur.com/a/pSgFXbK

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 9:55 Quote
pocketsandcollector wrote:
Hi! I got a 2015/16 Giant reign the other day and discovered some pretty nasty cable rub on the lower link, right up against a weld. Safe to ride? I didn't even know this level of cable rub was possible to be honest, it really ate into it

Pic

You mean this little groove near the weld at the middle of the pivot?

I wouldn't be too worried about it. Just try to make sure the housing doesn't go back in there, or maybe try a different routing method altogether.

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 14:35 Quote
seraph wrote:
pocketsandcollector wrote:

Pic

You mean this little groove near the weld at the middle of the pivot?

Yeah, that one. I wouldn't think it'd be a problem, but simultaneously horrified that it dug in that deep into a solid chunk of aluminum

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 14:47 Quote
I've seen worse. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 3:57 Quote
seraph wrote:

Spiral wrap is your friend, doesn't stop scratching but it's not hard enough to frett away the aluminium

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 10:58 Quote
Hi All,

Had a question as to which adapter I would need to purchase for my YT Decoy as I am upgrading my brake set up from SRAM CODE RSC to Shimano Saints 203 front and rear discs?

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 11:28 Quote
hjoves wrote:
Hi All,

Had a question as to which adapter I would need to purchase for my YT Decoy as I am upgrading my brake set up from SRAM CODE RSC to Shimano Saints 203 front and rear discs?

Assuming your current rotors are 200mm then all you need is a 1.5mm washer on each bolt, under the new caliper, to make it fit the 203mm rotors

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 11:36 Quote
How do I know the maximum rotor size my bike could take? It is a Vitus Nucleus 29er VR 2021. Thinking of putting a bigger rotor up front and moving the front to the back

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 11:55 Quote
Front should be good to at least 200mm and the rear you will have to check with the bike manufacturer/website. Sometimes the rear has more issues with tubing interference.

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 13:30 Quote
Breadandbutter wrote:
How do I know the maximum rotor size my bike could take? It is a Vitus Nucleus 29er VR 2021. Thinking of putting a bigger rotor up front and moving the front to the back

It should be written on the rotors, alternatively, the specs say the front is 180mm and the back is 160mm

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 13:45 Quote
Breadandbutter wrote:

Try it. Put the front rotor on the back wheel. Take the caliper spacer out from between your front brake and the fork, and put it between the back brake and the frame. As long as the rotor doesnt rub on the frame and the caliper all lines up properly without interfering with anything, then 180 at the rear should be fine.

I'm not sure id be keen on having a 200mm front rotor on a fork with quick release dropouts though. I've seen powerful brakes yank the wheel right out of a fork before. I'd stick with 180 front and rear until you upgrade the fork to something with a thru axle

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 13:59 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
Breadandbutter wrote:

Try it. Put the front rotor on the back wheel. Take the caliper spacer out from between your front brake and the fork, and put it between the back brake and the frame. As long as the rotor doesnt rub on the frame and the caliper all lines up properly without interfering with anything, then 180 at the rear should be fine.

I'm not sure id be keen on having a 200mm front rotor on a fork with quick release dropouts though. I've seen powerful brakes yank the wheel right out of a fork before. I'd stick with 180 front and rear until you upgrade the fork to something with a thru axle

oops didn't realize it was a qr dropout I didn't think they even made forks with those on them anymore.

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 15:52 Quote
JohnyBoy wrote:
seraph wrote:

Spiral wrap is your friend, doesn't stop scratching but it's not hard enough to frett away the aluminium

That's a great idea, thanks. Otherwise might just have to go externally routed, or the ole analog dropper method Wink

Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 8:44 Quote
Ok i have two potentially stupid questions;

1) I am attempting to fit a 230mm shock off of a santa cruz onto a rocky mountain, but the bearing mount is making things seem unlikely. is there any way to change the hardware/add pieces to get proper fitment with these, or are they sort of SC only?

2) What is the safest way to knock out a pressfit bb at home without a bearing press?

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012278
Mobile Version of Website