Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 20:25 Quote
Kidklayko wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:
Kidklayko wrote:
Hey mechanics, quick question should my cranks spin freely without a chain on them? Currently they don't. I'm wondering if that's dragging my efficiency down

If they are brand new sometimes the bearing seals need to wear in a bit or you could have too much preload on them. If they are press fit bearings there could be alignment issues.

If they are old the bearings could be shot and need to be replaced.

Naw it's a brand new bike, 3 days old, assembled by fanatik

Ah i thought you meant that you actually had to push hard to get the cranks to move. Probably just needs to break in.

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 22:13 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
It could just be seals give a couple of rides then check back. What type of cranks/bb is it?
Race face Atlas cranks with a raceface bb

Strangely enough, it seems to have gone away. also, I'm curious about everyone's Fox suspension settings, if you wouldn't mind sharing them on this forum that'd be great

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=233190&pagenum=1#commentid7061132

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 7:09 Quote
Does anybody know if 31t chain rings for Shimano Saint cranks (104 BCD) exist? Trying to achieve the perfect gearing for my single speed setup.

Thanks in advance!

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 7:16 Quote
Blablablup123 wrote:
Does anybody know if 31t chain rings for Shimano Saint cranks (104 BCD) exist? Trying to achieve the perfect gearing for my single speed setup.

Thanks in advance!

Homebrewed used to make one many moons ago. I don't even know if they are still going

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 8:54 Quote
go 32, you will get strong enough to climb anything and spin it out in no time

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 9:52 Quote
What XTR q-factor length would a mechanic say is an ideal option for a '22 Stumpjumper Evo, size S4 (large)? Looks like 171 mm is super boost but the rest (162, 168, 174 mm) would work ok? Some retailers call 168 wide while Shimano calls 168 narrow. Curious if 174 might be too wide, and if so, why (less pedalable or not enough rock clearance)?. Thanks!
XTR image source

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 11:38 Quote
I rode a fat bike with an ultra-wide Q factor a bunch last winter, and it felt mildly uncomfortable compared to my usual cranks. However, there isn’t much of a difference in feel at all between the 171mm cranks (Shimano SLX superboost) on my hardtail and the 142mm-designated SLX cranks on my enduro bike.

I’d go as narrow as your frame will allow for clearance.

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 13:28 Quote
Really stupid question about the sag markings on RockShox strokes;

I have a formerly 205x60mm shock that has been converted to 205x65mm. Are the sag percentage markings for the 60mm stroke? It's on a 2020 enduro so measuring the o-ring's distance is a pain in the ass, but using a calculator is not!

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 13:40 Quote
riish wrote:
I rode a fat bike with an ultra-wide Q factor a bunch last winter, and it felt mildly uncomfortable compared to my usual cranks. However, there isn’t much of a difference in feel at all between the 171mm cranks (Shimano SLX superboost) on my hardtail and the 142mm-designated SLX cranks on my enduro bike.

I’d go as narrow as your frame will allow for clearance.

Thanks @riish, good info.

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 14:18 Quote
newbermuda wrote:

I have a formerly 205x60mm shock that has been converted to 205x65mm. Are the sag percentage markings for the 60mm stroke? It's on a 2020 enduro so measuring the o-ring's distance is a pain in the ass, but using a calculator is not!

The marks will be set for whatever it came from the factory as

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 22:36 Quote
tannerzinck wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

The marks will be set for whatever it came from the factory as

Measure gap between 20% and 30%; multiply by 10 = 100%. Remember what it is, sorted!

Posted: Nov 25, 2021 at 9:06 Quote
Now then everyone. Looking for some help

Just picked up a used DH bike with a super delux ultimate and whilst setting it up I noticed after a few compressions the shock makes a sucking noise with intermittent clicks - here’s a video - ( stick your volume up)

https://youtube.com/shorts/GSMpOYtIaBQ?feature=share

This normal? I have other bikes with the same shock that don’t do it?

Does it just need a service or is it something more sinister?

Thanks for the help

Posted: Nov 25, 2021 at 12:23 Quote
joemorley11 wrote:

Just picked up a used DH bike with a super delux ultimate and whilst setting it up I noticed after a few compressions the shock makes a sucking noise with intermittent clicks - here’s a video - ( stick your volume up)

Thanks for the help

Probably an air leak between the positive and negative chambers. A basic air can service with new seals should fix it. It's probably worth sending it off for a full air and damper service though if the air seals have got so bad that they are leaking. The damper seals are probably in similarly poor condition.

Posted: Nov 25, 2021 at 13:06 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
joemorley11 wrote:

The squish sounds like damper aeration. Idk about the click. Could be anything from broken internals to loose shock mount bolts and bushings. Either way, I'd send it our for inspection and service and home it's just seals.

Thanks for the help

Probably an air leak between the positive and negative chambers. A basic air can service with new seals should fix it. It's probably worth sending it off for a full air and damper service though if the air seals have got so bad that they are leaking. The damper seals are probably in similarly poor condition.

Posted: Nov 25, 2021 at 21:11 Quote
Anybody have any experience with shimming the floodgate on the Rockshox Motion Control damper? Stumbled across this video and its got me pretty interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kJyVhExeG8

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013406
Mobile Version of Website