close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Nov 27, 2021 at 13:54 Quote
brewsdalton wrote:
I have a lot of play in left crank on my commuter/touring bike (way too much). I'm thinking I should replace my crankset. I'm unable to find a source for a tiagra crankset (original equipment)- chain reaction won't ship to canada.
Can I swap in a 105 crankset instead ? I'm aware that I'll be changing from a 3 x 10 to a 2 x 10.
If I could just replace the left crankarm would that fix my issue?
Thanks

Play in your cranks is probably your bottom bracket bearings, unless your crank arm has become unbonded from your spindle.

Posted: Nov 27, 2021 at 14:18 Quote
Nobble wrote:
mattygee020671 wrote:
Good evening my learned friends. I have a question that I’m sure someone can help with.
I’m building up a Giant Reign Advanced (2016) 1 for my daughter.
I have a cinch crank to go on but the bb is a PF BB. I’m sure there must be some sort of adaptor or sleeve to convert but I don’t know of any. I’d really appreciate any help.
Tia
The Reign is a BB92 right? (41mm shell ID, and 92mm shell width)

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/race-face-cinch-bb92-bottom-bracket/rp-prod193737
Yeah I think I need a BB92-30 for cinch.

Posted: Nov 27, 2021 at 14:37 Quote
brewsdalton wrote:
I have a lot of play in left crank on my commuter/touring bike (way too much). I'm thinking I should replace my crankset. I'm unable to find a source for a tiagra crankset (original equipment)- chain reaction won't ship to canada.
Can I swap in a 105 crankset instead ? I'm aware that I'll be changing from a 3 x 10 to a 2 x 10.
If I could just replace the left crankarm would that fix my issue?
Thanks

If you have one arm that is loose it's likely a square taper or iso spline bb in there right now. Once you get a loose fit it's likely that that interface is damaged and you'll need to replace crank and bb. Also unless the 2x replacement rings are similar in their tooth count to the first 2 in your 3x crankset, you might also need a new front Der. I would find the cheapest 3x front crankset and bb you can find that uses external bb and call it good for a commuter

Posted: Nov 28, 2021 at 6:46 Quote
Bryden-smith wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
Bryden-smith wrote:
Does any one know if a grip 2 damper will fit in a 2008 van 36 fork if not the the rc2 damper a good alternative if u could use either one of these which one and why

The standard version wont, no. The threading at the top cap is different.

Fox do (or did) a retro-fit grip damper to fit older forks though. I don't think they did a grip 2 but I can't remember. Also not sure off the top of my head if it's compatible as far back as 2008, but they certainly made it backwards compatible by a number of years

Do u have a link for this I can also fit a rc2 damper I would u go retro fit grip or rc2 if u were in my position

Hmmm. No I don't have a link sorry. It looks as though they may not list it as a part (although they definitely exist...)

Maybe they have stopped making it. Or it's possible that they never made a version to fit your exact fork.
I'd contact your local fox distro and enquire.

Id go for a Grip damper over RC2 if possible. It's a much better damper.

Posted: Nov 28, 2021 at 6:47 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
Bryden-smith wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:

Fox do (or did) a retro-fit grip damper to fit older forks though. I don't think they did a grip 2 but I can't remember. Also not sure off the top of my head if it's compatible as far back as 2008, but they certainly made it backwards compatible by a number of years

Do u have a link for this I can also fit a rc2 damper I would u go retro fit grip or rc2 if u were in my position

Hmmm. No I don't have a link sorry. It looks as though they may not list it as an available part (although they definitely exist...)

Maybe they have stopped making it. Or it's possible that they never made a version to fit your exact fork. Or it's possible they do make it to fit your fork, but they just don't advertise it.

Posted: Nov 28, 2021 at 11:28 Quote
Hey guys, First time posting here. Just cracked the damper body on my vivid coil shock. Does anybody have any suggestions on what I could do? https://imgur.com/a/PHCLnno

Posted: Nov 28, 2021 at 12:17 Quote
HunterPBS wrote:
Hey guys, First time posting here. Just cracked the damper body on my vivid coil shock. Does anybody have any suggestions on what I could do? https://imgur.com/a/PHCLnno
go download the spare parts catalog and see if its available.

Posted: Nov 28, 2021 at 12:40 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
Bryden-smith wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:

Hmmm. No I don't have a link sorry. It looks as though they may not list it as a part (although they definitely exist...)

Maybe they have stopped making it. Or it's possible that they never made a version to fit your exact fork.

If the grip does not work what would be the best one to go to next rc2?

Posted: Nov 28, 2021 at 17:17 Quote
20mm or 40mm ride bars for 2008 reign x1

Posted: Nov 28, 2021 at 21:50 Quote
Bryden-smith wrote:
20mm or 40mm ride bars for 2008 reign x1

Is that a question, or a statement? Bar rise is personal preference and/or fit.

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 5:36 Quote
A question worded it bad just wonder what all you guy prefer for enduro rideing I wanna be able to send the dh rinds but I gotta be able to pedal to the top what the advantage/disadvantage of high rise vs low ris asking because I currently have a low Rise set on right now but they are way to short

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 6:35 Quote
Bryden-smith wrote:
A question worded it bad just wonder what all you guy prefer for enduro rideing I wanna be able to send the dh rinds but I gotta be able to pedal to the top what the advantage/disadvantage of high rise vs low ris asking because I currently have a low Rise set on right now but they are way to short

Knowing your bike make model and year doesn't really play into the question. Rise is about fitment for self and track. More rise for steeper tracks but the overriding factor for you who doesn't have a rise baseline, is fitment. Hard to advise on fit. But generally, too much rise could make it harder for you to weight the front wheel while climbing. I think either would probably be fine but suggest the 20 to be safe.

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 6:38 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
Bryden-smith wrote:

Rise is about fitment for self and track. More rise for steeper tracks but the overriding factor for you is fitment. Hard to advise on fit. Too much rise could make it harder for you to weight the front wheel while climbing. I think either would probably be fine but suggest the 20 to be safe.

ok good to know thanks for your input

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 7:57 Quote
Just had my bearings replaced on my dtswiss 350 rear hub by my lbs went home put the freehub back on everything spins ok soon as it's fitted back in the frame under tension it won't freewheel and keep the cranks spinning ??? Undo the axle and it spins fine any ideas

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 9:07 Quote
I keep destroying wheels. I'm running cushcore and DoubleDown Maxxis casings. 25psi. What rims do I need to get? Thank you!

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014828
Mobile Version of Website