close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 9:13 Quote
noakeabean wrote:
I keep destroying wheels. I'm running cushcore and DoubleDown Maxxis casings. 25psi. What rims do I need to get? Thank you!

Smoother riding style

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 9:15 Quote
What rims do you have now?

I have had good luck running Stans Flow EX3. They have been pretty bomb proof for me and the few rock strikes I have had haven't done much damage. I am also not hard on wheels though so others may have a different opinion.

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 9:16 Quote
wellbastardfast wrote:
Just had my bearings replaced on my dtswiss 350 rear hub by my lbs went home put the freehub back on everything spins ok soon as it's fitted back in the frame under tension it won't freewheel and keep the cranks spinning ??? Undo the axle and it spins fine any ideas

There should be a spacer that goes into the freehub. If it’s missing, you’ll have the problem your describing.

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 9:18 Quote
I am running DT Swiss E1900 Rims
mtbman1980 wrote:
What rims do you have now?

I have had good luck running Stans Flow EX3. They have been pretty bomb proof for me and the few rock strikes I have had haven't done much damage. I am also not hard on wheels though so others may have a different opinion.

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 9:29 Quote
Twenty6ers4life wrote:
wellbastardfast wrote:
Just had my bearings replaced on my dtswiss 350 rear hub by my lbs went home put the freehub back on everything spins ok soon as it's fitted back in the frame under tension it won't freewheel and keep the cranks spinning ??? Undo the axle and it spins fine any ideas

There should be a spacer that goes into the freehub. If it’s missing, you’ll have the problem your describing.

That's there still

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 10:10 Quote
wellbastardfast wrote:
Twenty6ers4life wrote:
wellbastardfast wrote:

That's there still
If they used the wrong lube (too thick), it can cause problems.

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 11:47 Quote
Could it be too much grease behind the star ratchets, meaning they can’t disengage properly?

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 12:07 Quote
riish wrote:
Could it be too much grease behind the star ratchets, meaning they can’t disengage properly?

It's not tried that as well it's like it's been compressed to much

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 15:22 Quote
wellbastardfast wrote:
riish wrote:

It's not tried that as well it's like it's been compressed to much

Probably one of the bearings not fully pressed home. If there is a gap between the bearings and the center spacer that lives between them, the bearings will get stiff when preloaded by the axle when you tighten it up. It's easy enough to accidentally leave a bearing .5mm away from being fully pressed home, and it's kinda hard to tell theres any problem until the wheels back in the bike.

Id take it back to the shop and they'll probably just tap the bearings home and send you on your way. If you are confident doing it and you need your bike running soon, this isn't too hard a jobe to do at home.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 8:37 Quote
HunterPBS wrote:
Hey guys, First time posting here. Just cracked the damper body on my vivid coil shock. Does anybody have any suggestions on what I could do? https://imgur.com/a/PHCLnno
Hello again, So I think I am going to have this piece CNC'd Does anybody know where I could find the files for this kind of stuff?

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 9:51 Quote
HunterPBS wrote:
HunterPBS wrote:
Hey guys, First time posting here. Just cracked the damper body on my vivid coil shock. Does anybody have any suggestions on what I could do? https://imgur.com/a/PHCLnno
Hello again, So I think I am going to have this piece CNC'd Does anybody know where I could find the files for this kind of stuff?

That sounds like a massive pain, unless you already have the equipment and want a project. I would just save the headache and buy a new shock. Shop used if budget is a concern.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 9:57 Quote
tuckfordouble wrote:
HunterPBS wrote:
HunterPBS wrote:

That sounds like a massive pain, unless you already have the equipment and want a project. I would just save the headache and buy a new shock. Shop used if budget is a concern.

Ya, I don't think you're going to be able to track down files for that.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 10:04 Quote
tannerzinck wrote:
tuckfordouble wrote:
HunterPBS wrote:

Ya, I don't think you're going to be able to track down files for that.
I have never CNC'd stuff before, Is there a way to somehow scan the broken piece?

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 10:17 Quote
There might be a way to scan but most people measure the parts by hand to try and replicate it 3D cad like solid works. It would probably cheaper to either buy a replacement part or shock than spend the time machining a new part.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 10:20 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
There might be a way to scan but most people measure the parts by hand to try and replicate it 3D cad like solid works. It would probably cheaper to either buy a replacement part or shock than spend the time machining a new part.
Well a new shock costs about 300 euros for me, How much does CNC'ing cost?

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020759
Mobile Version of Website