close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 20:00 Quote
Have you checked the cassette lockring tightness? It could be a loose cassette or just take the cassette off and clean and regrease the freehub body.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 20:07 Quote
That’s a great idea. I will admit I have washed it more then I should to keep it looking new and clean. Maybe the washing caused dryness?

Thank you you for the response and advice. I’ll try it and report back.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 20:08 Quote
What brand of cassette some are known to have creaking issues. Shimano and E13

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 20:10 Quote
It’s a sram x01 52t. I believe either 2020 or 2021.

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 0:32 Quote
Does anyone know when then chassis changes to the latest model of the boxxer? I'm looking to buy an older model and get the internals rebuilt/replaced and was wondering how far back I can go. Cheers!

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 6:59 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
Easiest way to pull the bearing eyelet off of the shock on a '21 Rocky mountain Altitude? without buying their tool that apparently is shit.

Use a park tool axle clamp and gently clamp one bearing piece in a vice. Just enough to prevent it from spinning but not too tight. Wiggle your shock upwards, it should only take a few seconds of effort. Flip shock over and repeat.

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 11:29 Quote
cgaches wrote:
Yeah Sram XD cassettes do have a creak issue. Sometimes the inner sleeve isn't properly attache to the powerdome, which allows for a significant amount of flex and a corresponding creak.

Also yes, overwashing your bike will absolutely cause premature issues. All the mechanics I know barely wash their bikes, and for good reason.

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 11:32 Quote
Twenty6ers4life wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
Easiest way to pull the bearing eyelet off of the shock on a '21 Rocky mountain Altitude? without buying their tool that apparently is shit.

Abbey bike tools. $30.00

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Abbey-Bike-Tools-DU-Bushing-Service-Tool-/313051084050

This tool won't help in this instance, and is also horrendously overpriced. Even for Abbey tools whos prices are generally ridiculous.
Rockymountain bearing mounts are notoriously hard to remove. As someone else has said, your best bet is to try and grip one cup in some sort of shaft clamp or softjaw. Once one is out, you should be able to drift the other out with a hammer and drift.

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 11:47 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
Twenty6ers4life wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

Abbey bike tools. $30.00

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Abbey-Bike-Tools-DU-Bushing-Service-Tool-/313051084050

This tool won't help in this instance, and is also horrendously overpriced. Even for Abbey tools whos prices are generally ridiculous.
Rockymountain bearing mounts are notoriously hard to remove. As someone else has said, your best bet is to try and grip one cup in some sort of shaft clamp or softjaw. Once one is out, you should be able to drift the other out with a hammer and drift.

i'll bring it to my shop tonight and see if this works. props to rocky for making smoother eyelet movement but having to remove it every time i need to swap a spring rate is a huge pain in the ass.

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 14:14 Quote
Anyone know if it’s possible to do a air conversion on a coil fork assuming the stanchion wear is minimal

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 14:30 Quote
Bryden-smith wrote:
Anyone know if it’s possible to do a air conversion on a coil fork assuming the stanchion wear is minimal

The stanchions have nothing to do with a coil to air conversion. Air is contained within a cartridge.

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 15:34 Quote
seraph wrote:
Bryden-smith wrote:

The stanchions have nothing to do with a coil to air conversion. Air is contained within a cartridge.

I assume he means the inside of the Stanchions.

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 16:00 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
cgaches wrote:
Yeah Sram XD cassettes do have a creak issue. Sometimes the inner sleeve isn't properly attache to the powerdome, which allows for a significant amount of flex and a corresponding creak.

Also yes, overwashing your bike will absolutely cause premature issues. All the mechanics I know barely wash their bikes, and for good reason.

Awesome thanks. I will be pulling the cassette and grease and re-install. And no more washing.

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 16:02 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
seraph wrote:
Bryden-smith wrote:

I assume he means the inside of the Stanchions.

Assuming that's what he means and the fork is one that offers both air and coil versions with common stanchions, maybe.

I've done this once, with a Manitou Circus DJ fork (coil) that I needed to set up for a child. Rather than trying to track down a very light spring, I used an air shaft, piston, and (extra light) negative spring intended for a Minute fork which uses the same stanchion size and interface to the lowers. The fork had minimal (5 hours) use as a coil fork and I found no visible scoring when inspecting the inside of the stanchions. That fork has been holding pressure for a couple years without issue.

So, it's possible, but I'd say you can't really tell if it's going to work on a particular fork until you try it. All it takes is one scratch and it wont hold air.

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 17:08 Quote
seraph wrote:
Bryden-smith wrote:

Thats not necessarily true. Many air forks use the stanchion as the air cartridge. As far as I know, all Fox and Rockshox are that way.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013349
Mobile Version of Website