close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 17:54 Quote
I did a bit of looking into this for my coil boxxer and RS actually sells a kit to do it. Their logic being that as long as the coil has a full plastic wrap it won't scratch the inner walls. I read several accounts of this conversion working fine for people.

Long story short, if your coil spring is shrunk wrap, probably won't have an issue going back and forth. Otherwise, it's a crapshoot.

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 17:57 Quote
Nobble wrote:
seraph wrote:
Bryden-smith wrote:
Anyone know if it’s possible to do a air conversion on a coil fork assuming the stanchion wear is minimal

The stanchions have nothing to do with a coil to air conversion. Air is contained within a cartridge.
Thats not necessarily true. Many air forks use the stanchion as the air cartridge. As far as I know, all Fox and Rockshox are that way.

Right. What I meant was that the air isn't contained by the seals. It's suspended inside the stanchion between the top cap and the top of the air spring.

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 18:45 Quote
Could you send a link to this kit?
rclugnut wrote:
I did a bit of looking into this for my coil boxxer and RS actually sells a kit to do it. Their logic being that as long as the coil has a full plastic wrap it won't scratch the inner walls. I read several accounts of this conversion working fine for people.

Long story short, if your coil spring is shrunk wrap, probably won't have an issue going back and forth. Otherwise, it's a crapshoot.

Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 7:13 Quote
noakeabean wrote:
Could you send a link to this kit?
rclugnut wrote:

Yeaaa this is the kit...

RS PN: 00.4018.783.001

And a bit of chatter on it too...

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/boxxer-coil-fork-to-air-upgrade.972026/

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=168723

Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 7:27 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
seraph wrote:
Bryden-smith wrote:
Anyone know if it’s possible to do a air conversion on a coil fork assuming the stanchion wear is minimal

The stanchions have nothing to do with a coil to air conversion. Air is contained within a cartridge.

I assume he means the inside of the Stanchions.

Yeah I’m talking about the wear caused by the coil on the inside

Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 7:30 Quote
seraph wrote:
Nobble wrote:
seraph wrote:

Thats not necessarily true. Many air forks use the stanchion as the air cartridge. As far as I know, all Fox and Rockshox are that way.

Right. What I meant was that the air isn't contained by the seals. It's suspended inside the stanchion between the top cap and the top of the air spring.

Yeah that’s what I’m taking about if I buy a air spring and top cap and I do a air conversion to a older 36? Should have worded it better in the question sorry about that guys.

Thanks bryden

Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 11:10 Quote
Bryden-smith wrote:
seraph wrote:
Nobble wrote:

Yeah that’s what I’m taking about if I buy a air spring and top cap and I do a air conversion to a older 36? Should have worded it better in the question sorry about that guys.

Thanks bryden

Before spending any money, I would check that your fork has an air swap dimple on the inside of the stanchion. A lot of Fox forks from the era where they came with coils, won't have this dimple. Without it, you are either gonna have to try and source a really old air spring with a coil negative, or buy a whole new CSU.

My honest opinion is that making this conversion is not going to be straightforward or easy.

Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 15:07 Quote
Hey guys. Just recently bought a DT E532 wheelset with some formula hubs. The hubs have a freehub body with the model number FH-903. It's a microspline freehub body, and I need a HG. What freehub body do I replace it with to get HG?

Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 20:43 Quote
my AXS xx1 derailleur has decided it no longer works. Battery has charge, tried a different battery to check and still nothing. The light doesnt light up, pressing the button does nothing. anyone ever dealt with this? I dont have warranty.

Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 21:36 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
my AXS xx1 derailleur has decided it no longer works. Battery has charge, tried a different battery to check and still nothing. The light doesnt light up, pressing the button does nothing. anyone ever dealt with this? I dont have warranty.

Sounds dead. Why don't you have a warranty?

Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 3:09 Quote
newbermuda wrote:

Take it apart. At this point you have nothing to lose. If it shows no signs of life at all, this is almost a good thing as it suggests it's just a bad electrical connection or something, instead of something more catastrophic.

Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 9:51 Quote
Can you use Hope rotors with saint calipers?
I remember reading somewhere that the rivets that hold the rotor together fowl up on the rear calliper and I’m wondering if that has changed.. I’m tired of my RT86s they warp 2 easily and my last 2 sets have caused me nothing but issues

Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 11:08 Quote
Looking for help with getting a tire off a 40mm wide carbon rim that has cush core installed. its a maxxis minon tire . i have the tire unseated from the bead but the cush core still hold the tire so tight to the i cant get a tire lever under the tire to even get close to being able to have the lever be able to lift the tire bead off the rim. i dont want to damage the carbon rim but im almost at the point of thinking it would be easier to cut the tire off .

Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 13:29 Quote
FirstFox wrote:
Looking for help with getting a tire off a 40mm wide carbon rim that has cush core installed. its a maxxis minon tire . i have the tire unseated from the bead but the cush core still hold the tire so tight to the i cant get a tire lever under the tire to even get close to being able to have the lever be able to lift the tire bead off the rim. i dont want to damage the carbon rim but im almost at the point of thinking it would be easier to cut the tire off .

You need to get the bead on one side to drop into the groove in the center of the rim before you go in with a tire lever. Try laying the wheel on a 5-galling bucket and pushing the tire down to get the insert and bead to move towards the center. Might need a friend to have a second pair of hands. Once you get the bead off the bead seat go in with a lever. Aim for the gap between the bead and the center groove of the rim and when you pull on the lever you should be able to pull the bead on the opposite side down into the groove. While holding lever tension, push the tire down to get the bead to seat into the groove over enough of the rim circumference that you can get the bead off the rim at the lever.

Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 13:38 Quote
I find that shoving the bead into the center channel with the Cush Core tire lever works pretty well. Using a trash can to set the wheel on is a killer hack.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013261
Mobile Version of Website