Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 14:44 Quote
seraph wrote:
I find that shoving the bead into the center channel with the Cush Core tire lever works pretty well. Using a trash can to set the wheel on is a killer hack.

Oh, trash can would work WAY better than the bucket I recommended. The bucket works in a pinch, especially with a friend to help.

O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 17:05 Quote
They make a tool which basically will help give leverage to pull the bead closer to the center to allow room for a tire lever… this tool works as does a trigger clamp from Lowe’s- probably easier to buy and possibly already have one. I’m a mechanic and honestly I’d say using the trigger clamp is safer as it is rubber versus the tool which is metal. I’ve used the clamp a number times with a decent bit of success. I will say make sure you have a really strong tire lever- cushcore make a weird but really strong lever that works decently. Good luck

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 10:03 Quote
melanthius wrote:
FirstFox wrote:
Looking for help with getting a tire off a 40mm wide carbon rim that has cush core installed. its a maxxis minon tire . i have the tire unseated from the bead but the cush core still hold the tire so tight to the i cant get a tire lever under the tire to even get close to being able to have the lever be able to lift the tire bead off the rim. i dont want to damage the carbon rim but im almost at the point of thinking it would be easier to cut the tire off .

You need to get the bead on one side to drop into the groove in the center of the rim before you go in with a tire lever. Try laying the wheel on a 5-galling bucket and pushing the tire down to get the insert and bead to move towards the center. Might need a friend to have a second pair of hands. Once you get the bead off the bead seat go in with a lever. Aim for the gap between the bead and the center groove of the rim and when you pull on the lever you should be able to pull the bead on the opposite side down into the groove. While holding lever tension, push the tire down to get the bead to seat into the groove over enough of the rim circumference that you can get the bead off the rim at the lever.

Yes i know the procedure but on these 40mm wide rims there is not much of if any groove in the center of the rim. Plus with as tight as the tires already fit even when in the low spot there is very little room to get a tire lever in there. but thanks for the reply .

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 10:07 Quote
melanthius wrote:
seraph wrote:
I find that shoving the bead into the center channel with the Cush Core tire lever works pretty well. Using a trash can to set the wheel on is a killer hack.

Oh, trash can would work WAY better than the bucket I recommended. The bucket works in a pinch, especially with a friend to help.

on a standard type rim yes, but these are 40mm fat bike carbon wheels and there is very little change in the depth in the center of the rim so even with the tire bead pushed to the center on there tires there is little if not any room for a tire lever to fit in and if it does the plastic type lever still cant pull the tire over the rim. and being that the rim is carbon i wouldnt chance using anything that would cause damage to the rim.

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 10:10 Quote
FirstFox wrote:
Looking for help with getting a tire off a 40mm wide carbon rim that has cush core installed. its a maxxis minon tire . i have the tire unseated from the bead but the cush core still hold the tire so tight to the i cant get a tire lever under the tire to even get close to being able to have the lever be able to lift the tire bead off the rim. i dont want to damage the carbon rim but im almost at the point of thinking it would be easier to cut the tire off .

At the end of the day the tires were pretty worn out anyways and i ws not planning on reusing them so i just cut the tire bead and and pulled the tires off . i also left out the cush cores when installing the new tires. i know it may not be the way to do it but with these rims it was just too much of problem to get them off and save the old tires. it should take 3 people and special tools to change a tire .

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 10:38 Quote
FirstFox wrote:
FirstFox wrote:

At the end of the day the tires were pretty worn out anyways and i ws not planning on reusing them so i just cut the tire bead and and pulled the tires off . i also left out the cush cores when installing the new tires. i know it may not be the way to do it but with these rims it was just too much of problem to get them off and save the old tires. it should take 3 people and special tools to change a tire .

only thing i can tink of is the vacuum machine Smile

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 13:45 Quote
Hi guys .
So my Scott Gambler has a 267mm Fox Van R rear shock , and i got a 222mm Fox dhx rc4 laying around ,wich is a better shock .
I was thinking if it is possible to swap the 267mm cylinder and shaft from the van r onto the rc4 shock body .
So i have a 267mm Fox rc4.
Will this work ?
Thanks!

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 14:29 Quote
Re: a tight tire bead.
Foaming soap dispenser and leather gloves can sometimes win the day.

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 1:11 Quote
bemix wrote:
FirstFox wrote:
FirstFox wrote:

only thing i can tink of is the vacuum machine Smile

In a pinch I've used a G clamp, just tighten it up (not on the wheel, just the tyre) and it should give you a little extra leverage to lift the tyre up and get your tyre lever under

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 9:11 Quote
Blackmetalgoat wrote:
Hi guys .
So my Scott Gambler has a 267mm Fox Van R rear shock , and i got a 222mm Fox dhx rc4 laying around ,wich is a better shock .
I was thinking if it is possible to swap the 267mm cylinder and shaft from the van r onto the rc4 shock body .
Will this work ?
Thanks!

What's the i2i and stroke of each?

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 11:43 Quote
riish wrote:
Blackmetalgoat wrote:
Hi guys .
Will this work ?
Thanks!

The rc4 is 222x70mm and the van r is 267x89mm

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 12:19 Quote
Blackmetalgoat wrote:
riish wrote:
Blackmetalgoat wrote:
Hi guys .
Will this work ?
Thanks!

This is unlikely to work. If the shaft diameter on both shocks happens to be the same (it may or may not be depending on the age of each shock) then it's possible you could build something functional out of them, but I would suggest it would take an expert at shock modding to even have a chance at making it work well.

To be fair, a Van R that has been shim tuned well for your weight/bike/riding etc isn't actually a bad shock. The RC4 is more tuneable but isn't inherantly "better"

If having the VanR tuned isn't an option, I would say your best bet would be to sell both shocks and put the money towards a good shock in the correct size.

If you are willing to put hours of work into it, you might be able to make something useable using parts from your 2 shocks, but getting it to run better than a stock VanR with a good tune in it will be difficult. And depending on the parts you have, it may never work at all.

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 14:25 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
Blackmetalgoat wrote:
riish wrote:

This is unlikely to work. If the shaft diameter on both shocks happens to be the same (it may or may not be depending on the age of each shock) then it's possible you could build something functional out of them, but I would suggest it would take an expert at shock modding to even have a chance at making it work well.

To be fair, a Van R that has been shim tuned well for your weight/bike/riding etc isn't actually a bad shock. The RC4 is more tuneable but isn't inherantly "better"

If having the VanR tuned isn't an option, I would say your best bet would be to sell both shocks and put the money towards a good shock in the correct size.

If you are willing to put hours of work into it, you might be able to make something useable using parts from your 2 shocks, but getting it to run better than a stock VanR with a good tune in it will be difficult. And depending on the parts you have, it may never work at all.
Thanks , im just gonna keep my van r ...

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 14:48 Quote
My fox 34 steerer tube is too short. Does anyone know a solution to get the bars raised?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.027403
Mobile Version of Website