close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 17:26 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
I'm planning to build up a 29er soon and am debating between 30mm and 35mm rims (specifically RaceFace Turbine R wheels). I will be using Vittoria 2.6" tires front and back (Mazza front, Martello rear) for the most part where the 35mm would probably be better, but may eventually downsize to a Maxxis Minion 2.5" DHF and 2.4" DHR2 combo where the 30mm would probably be better. My current bike uses 27.5" wheels with 2.6" Vittoria Martellos front and back on 30mm RaceFace Turbine R wheels and I have no problems with it, but wondering if it would be advantageous to get 35mm rims seeing as I'll be buying new wheels anyways

I've been running Maxxis 2.4" and 2.5" tires on 30mm and 35mm rims this season. Both the rims work great with those tires, but the 2.5" ones on the 30mm are about as round as I want these days. If you want to go up to 2.6", I'd go with the 35mm rims. No real downside that I could tell with 2.4" tires on 35mm rims.

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 17:33 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
I'm planning to build up a 29er soon and am debating between 30mm and 35mm rims (specifically RaceFace Turbine R wheels). I will be using Vittoria 2.6" tires front and back (Mazza front, Martello rear) for the most part where the 35mm would probably be better, but may eventually downsize to a Maxxis Minion 2.5" DHF and 2.4" DHR2 combo where the 30mm would probably be better. My current bike uses 27.5" wheels with 2.6" Vittoria Martellos front and back on 30mm RaceFace Turbine R wheels and I have no problems with it, but wondering if it would be advantageous to get 35mm rims seeing as I'll be buying new wheels anyways
My current bike came with race face wheels at 35mm wide with a 2.4 DHR II on back and 2.5 DHF up front. As a heavier rider i really appreciate the support of the wider rim. I run less tha 20 psi front and rear and have yet to burp a tire even during the occasional schralp. No inserts TR EXO casing if I remember correctly. I certainly don't miss the days of rolling tires completely off narrow rims of the past.

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 18:40 Quote
Duderz7 wrote:
matt-15 wrote:
My current bike came with race face wheels at 35mm wide with a 2.4 DHR II on back and 2.5 DHF up front. As a heavier rider i really appreciate the support of the wider rim. I run less tha 20 psi front and rear and have yet to burp a tire even during the occasional schralp. No inserts TR EXO casing if I remember correctly. I certainly don't miss the days of rolling tires completely off narrow rims of the past.

The downside to something like a 2.4 on a 35mm rim is that the cornering tread of the tire gets shifted closer to the center, in some cases making it as though you have less cornering tread. Not always a terrible thing and with a 35 it should be fine, but something to be aware of.

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 20:24 Quote
gonna pick your brains again guys.

Looking to upgrade the plain-Jane Vanilla coil shock on the back of my old Stinky 5 with a used, but more modern and adjustable coil, and I'm not certain of the measurements. I took the shock off and measured e2e, and exposed damper rod length, and I came up with what I believe to be 7.875x2.25 (200x57) to the best of my abilities not using precision shit like calipers.

I can't find any on-line material that dead-on supports this being the shock measurements I need to be looking for. I found some that agreed and some that said 200x50 was the factory size. Hoping for some input to ensure I'm on the right track here.

I need to do some research on ideal spring weights too, but that will give a good holiday off-time research project. Wink

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 8:23 Quote
If you stick with a coil shock it could be as simple as getting the 200x57 and making a 7mm spacer and glue it under the rubber bottom out bumper.

If you get an air shock most can be shimmed the same way but need to be sent in for a rebuild and and the spacer installed on the damper shaft.

edit. you could always get the 200x57 fit it in the bike and cycle the suspension to make sure there is contact between parts.

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 10:10 Quote
matt-15 wrote:

Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but I really like the way 2.5” Maxxis tyres sit on 25mm rims. I’d go up to 30mm if running 2.6” more often though. Feels better at higher lean angles.

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 10:57 Quote
adm750 wrote:
gonna pick your brains again guys.

Looking to upgrade the plain-Jane Vanilla coil shock on the back of my old Stinky 5 with a used, but more modern and adjustable coil, and I'm not certain of the measurements. I took the shock off and measured e2e, and exposed damper rod length, and I came up with what I believe to be 7.875x2.25 (200x57) to the best of my abilities not using precision shit like calipers.

I can't find any on-line material that dead-on supports this being the shock measurements I need to be looking for. I found some that agreed and some that said 200x50 was the factory size. Hoping for some input to ensure I'm on the right track here.

I need to do some research on ideal spring weights too, but that will give a good holiday off-time research project. Wink

If you're sure that 200mm is the length (and that sounds right, it was a popular size), can't you just remove the spring and measure the total distance the shock travels through the cycle? That should tell you if you need 200x57 or 200x50.

And like mtbman1980 said, you should be able to put a 7mm spacer under the bottom out bumper to "convert" 200x57 to 200x50.

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 11:43 Quote
As above. Fit a 200x57 and if nothing hits at full bottom out, you are good to go. If something does hit, add spacers until it doesn't any more. There is no advantage to reducing the stroke any more than necessary to stop the swingarm hitting the frame.

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 13:00 Quote
riish wrote:
matt-15 wrote:

Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but I really like the way 2.5” Maxxis tyres sit on 25mm rims. I’d go up to 30mm if running 2.6” more often though. Feels better at higher lean angles.
Been there, peeled far too many tires off the rims front and rear, but that's my own experience. Different setups work for Different people.

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 13:09 Quote
Yeah no way I'd run anything bigger than 2.2 on a 25mm rim. I mean hell, there are gravel bike rims that are wider than that these days.

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 13:20 Quote
ive run 2.4s and 2.5s on 25mm internal rims no problem. definitely a bit more squirmy but i'll take that over the minimal traction of a small tire.

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 13:27 Quote
Thanks for the input guys...! I just went out and did a quick re-check. Looks like the exposed shock rod length is right about 50mm....(taking the bumper out of the equation....) holding a small ruler up next to the spring. (spring is a 450x2.29 btw...)

edit: musta been eyeballing it wrong when I came up with thinking it was a 57mm....damn...

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 13:47 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
ive run 2.4s and 2.5s on 25mm internal rims no problem. definitely a bit more squirmy but i'll take that over the minimal traction of a small tire.

I ran Maxxis 2.5s for years on 25mm rims without any issues. The profile is a bit more round but it never seemed to create an issue for me. Your terrain may make some differences though as we do not have a lot of high speed bermed corners on our local trails

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 15:33 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
Blackmetalgoat wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:

This is unlikely to work. If the shaft diameter on both shocks happens to be the same (it may or may not be depending on the age of each shock) then it's possible you could build something functional out of them, but I would suggest it would take an expert at shock modding to even have a chance at making it work well.

To be fair, a Van R that has been shim tuned well for your weight/bike/riding etc isn't actually a bad shock. The RC4 is more tuneable but isn't inherantly "better"

If having the VanR tuned isn't an option, I would say your best bet would be to sell both shocks and put the money towards a good shock in the correct size.

If you are willing to put hours of work into it, you might be able to make something useable using parts from your 2 shocks, but getting it to run better than a stock VanR with a good tune in it will be difficult. And depending on the parts you have, it may never work at all.
Thanks , im just gonna keep my van r ...

Might be easier than I thought. Do you know the definite year of each shock? Or have the ID codes? If so you can look up the shock diagrams on foxs website.

These are the diagrams for the 2014 versions of your shocks. Most of the parts seem to be pretty interchangeable, although the piston diameters are different which means you will have to use the piston from the van r and swap the shim stacks over from the rc4 piston to match the rc4 valving in the head of the shock. There are probably other small differences you will have to work around too.

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=58
https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=63
Rc4 came stock on a 2010 canyon torque , and the van r came stock on my 2017 Scott Gambler

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 16:42 Quote
Where can you buy derailleur cage plates for xt m8100? Mine are broken and trying to not replace the whole thing.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012346
Mobile Version of Website