close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jan 8, 2022 at 13:40 Quote
I've got a 2022 Stumpjumper with very low miles on it. The stock xfusion rear shock lockout is no longer functioning properly. I'm still getting same amount of squish with the lockout lever in lock position, plus I get some additional squishy sounds from within the shock (sound present only in lockout position)
Any tips on the cause and fix. Also, would this be covered under warranty?

Posted: Jan 8, 2022 at 13:55 Quote
Stumpy121 wrote:
I've got a 2022 Stumpjumper with very low miles on it. The stock xfusion rear shock lockout is no longer functioning properly. I'm still getting same amount of squish with the lockout lever in lock position, plus I get some additional squishy sounds from within the shock (sound present only in lockout position)
Any tips on the cause and fix. Also, would this be covered under warranty?

Take it back to the shop and likely they will warranty it.

Posted: Jan 9, 2022 at 1:21 Quote
melanthius wrote:

For the hubs in question laced 3-cross to an 29" EX511, the I9 Hydra gives 65%, the Hope Pro 4 62%. I'm using the Freespoke calculator with 3-cross lacing for the numbers. Both of these are right on the edge but the Hope is definitely below threshold. Honestly, all 29" wheels would benefit from offset spoke bed rims to avoid fatigue failures. So, you're right on this one, Nobble.

For the last failure mode, there are a lot of dynamic situations that you need to deal with like landing a jump off-camber where you're going to be detensioning the bottom spokes while applying a lateral load, but a decent apples-to-apples comparison, for the same rims and spoke tension but different geometry, of ability to withstand lateral forces is the lateral force applied by the spoke, which is proportional to the sine of the spoke bracing angle. As the drive side always has the smallest bracing angle this will be the limiting factor in a rear-wheel taco.

Hub / center-to-driveside-flange distance / bracing angle / sin(bracing angle)
DT 350 boost / 23.3mm / 4.6 deg / 8%
Hope Pro 4 / 22mm / 4.3 deg / 7.5%
I9 Hydra / 25mm / 4.9 deg / 8.5%
Interesting stuff, perhaps I'm not grasping all of what you've written but that's a given as I've no wheel building experience. Nonetheless, I have a potentially ignorant question:

Can one take the numbers of hub flange sizes and distances and use them to calculate (and compare) possible wheel strength?

I don't plan on building the wheels myself, and would like to make an informed decision, but man oh man, I wouldn't have guessed there are so many variables to take into consideration.

Posted: Jan 9, 2022 at 9:11 Quote
Yes, a spoke length calculator that returns bracing angles and relative tension is useful to evaluate the effect of hub flange geometry on relative wheel strength. With the lacing pattern, rim, and number of spokes held constant, the hub that provides the largest minimum (between the two sides) bracing angle and the highest minimum (between the two sides) relative spoke tension will be the stronger wheel.

They are also useful to evaluate the effect of using an offset spoke bed as long as the rims you’re comparing are otherwise of similar material, weight, and shape.

They are NOT useful on their own to evaluate different spoke count, spoke gauge, lacing patterns, rim material, rim geometry. At that point I suspect FEA and physical testing would be needed to give clear answers.

Posted: Jan 10, 2022 at 12:49 Quote
Thanks guys

Take it back to the shop and likely they will warranty it.[/Quote]

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 15:09 Quote
As i understand it, reverb seat posts use suspension fluid for bleeds? can i just use any 2.5wt or 5wt fluid to bleed it?

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 16:08 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
As i understand it, reverb seat posts use suspension fluid for bleeds? can i just use any 2.5wt or 5wt fluid to bleed it?

I want to say they have a specific oil for it, but i believe its a 5wt

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 16:21 Quote
tbeezle wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

Sram has a reverb fluid that you can buy. Often fluids are formulated specifically for that product and using anything else will void warranties.

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 16:58 Quote
kiranseligman wrote:
tbeezle wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

Sram has a reverb fluid that you can buy. Often fluids are formulated specifically for that product and using anything else will void warranties.

not concerned with warranty as its a used seatpost, but kind of annoying to go and get reverb fluid if i have suspension fluid in the garage...

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 23:50 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
kiranseligman wrote:
tbeezle wrote:

not concerned with warranty as its a used seatpost, but kind of annoying to go and get reverb fluid if i have suspension fluid in the garage...

the oil is 2.5 wt and quite thin, 5wt would probably be a little thick and slow up post action, although it may work fine for the remote operating circuit which is different to the post internal circuit.

Posted: Jan 12, 2022 at 4:49 Quote
Hey there,

Got a set of '02 Marz Monster T's. 20x110 hub spacing.

I'm not sure what the difference between 20x110 boost and non boost is width wise, always thought there was no difference.

Looking at a hub at the moment, the guy says it's non boost. Will it fit my fork?

Posted: Jan 12, 2022 at 5:41 Quote
Monster T's were well before the boost craze. Non boost hub should be perfect. If I remember correctly 20x110 boost moves the disc mount closer to fork leg to allow for wider hub flanges. Not sure about adapting one to the other. Good find on the fork!

Posted: Jan 12, 2022 at 6:49 Quote
There was one monster t that actually came with the same dimensions as boost. It had a special Marz hub that it came with. Non boost isn’t a problem though. If your brake won’t line up it will require a rotor spacer to bring it over.

Posted: Jan 12, 2022 at 11:59 Quote
Pfffft... Monster T's don't even need brakes!

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014352
Mobile Version of Website