Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 11:26 Quote
My DT Swiss 240 rear hub bearings are trashed. They are beyond servicing. Any recommendations for replacement bearings?

Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 16:26 Quote
How do I properly size my chain? I am running a 1x12 speed Shimano drivetrain, except the cassete is some Sunrace thing, and it's on a Commencal Meta AM 2021.

Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 16:36 Quote
Duderz7 wrote:
Monster T's were well before the boost craze. Non boost hub should be perfect. If I remember correctly 20x110 boost moves the disc mount closer to fork leg to allow for wider hub flanges. Not sure about adapting one to the other. Good find on the fork!

Ahh ok, gotcha. Thanks for the help

Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 16:39 Quote
Sethsg wrote:
How do I properly size my chain? I am running a 1x12 speed Shimano drivetrain, except the cassete is some Sunrace thing, and it's on a Commencal Meta AM 2021.

Go on youtube and find the Park Tool video explaining chain sizing. Used the method in that video to size plenty of chains, always worked perfect for me

Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 16:40 Quote
bishopsmike wrote:
Pfffft... Monster T's don't even need brakes!

Just white knuckle it ey?

Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 16:43 Quote
Sethsg wrote:

Concur with above. Also - go buy a new chain. Take the old one off, lay it side-by-side with the new chain and remove the extra links you don't need from the new chain.

Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 16:44 Quote
gotohe11carolina wrote:
There was one monster t that actually came with the same dimensions as boost. It had a special Marz hub that it came with. Non boost isn’t a problem though. If your brake won’t line up it will require a rotor spacer to bring it over.

Right, right, I remember that now. Think all the monster t's from 2001-2006 when they stopped making them has boost spacing.

That explains why I'm running some washers to space out the caliper mount to get the spacing right

Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 16:53 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
Thanks!

Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 16:54 Quote
Brandonzamp wrote:
Sethsg wrote:

Go on youtube and find the Park Tool video explaining chain sizing. Used the method in that video to size plenty of chains, always worked perfect for me
Thanks!

Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 19:14 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
Sethsg wrote:

Concur with above. Also - go buy a new chain. Take the old one off, lay it side-by-side with the new chain and remove the extra links you don't need from the new chain.

This is what I do. Compare the new chain to the old one, cut down to size if needed. You can of course follow the Park Tool video, but if it works fine now I wouldn't go changing the length.

Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 19:18 Quote
Brandonzamp wrote:
gotohe11carolina wrote:
There was one monster t that actually came with the same dimensions as boost. It had a special Marz hub that it came with. Non boost isn’t a problem though. If your brake won’t line up it will require a rotor spacer to bring it over.

Right, right, I remember that now. Think all the monster t's from 2001-2006 when they stopped making them has boost spacing.

That explains why I'm running some washers to space out the caliper mount to get the spacing right
I was unawares, ya learn something new everyday.

Posted: Jan 14, 2022 at 6:24 Quote
Just to make sure before I order one, this is the situation where I would need a derailleur hanger extender right?
everything seems to be too close to the cogs. I know winding the b-screw in all the way is not an option because shifting is very poor in smaller gears. Also, do I have to resize the chain when adding the extender? I would think not because my derailleur still has lots of slack left to give while still providing 2 slight bends at the jockey wheels.
photo
photo

O+
Posted: Jan 14, 2022 at 7:57 Quote
Looks like an 8-speed 11-40t cassette with a normal 8-speed derailleur? If so, then yes, that looks like a good candidate for a hanger extender like the RoadLink.

It’s not going to make the shifting a ton better in the smaller cogs, but it will significantly improve chain wrap vs putting the b-screw all the way in and that may be enough.

And no, you shouldn’t need to extend the chain.

Posted: Jan 14, 2022 at 8:08 Quote
melanthius wrote:
Looks like an 8-speed 11-40t cassette with a normal 8-speed derailleur? If so, then yes, that looks like a good candidate for a hanger extender like the RoadLink.

It’s not going to make the shifting a ton better in the smaller cogs, but it will significantly improve chain wrap vs putting the b-screw all the way in and that may be enough.

And no, you shouldn’t need to extend the chain.

I had an 11-40t cassette on it before which worked perfectly, this one is 12-42t ( Microshift Acolyte ) just because it was way cheaper than any 11-40t I could find right now, and yeah the derailleur is just a 8 speed long cage Altus. If I knew this was going to be a problem I would’ve spent the money on a 11-40t, at least this way I can get a bit more range.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.027541
Mobile Version of Website