Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 14:02 Quote
The Hayes dominion a4s that I have are amazing brakes performance wise and the lever feel is superior to any brake that I’ve felt. The lever is so easy to pull and essentially eliminates arm pump.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 14:10 Quote
I've been on the TRP DHR-Evos for a little while, no issues, great lever actuation, zero arm pump. I have heard the hayes brakes have a very light actuation though.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 20:19 Quote
jimbomodder wrote:
Any one had experience with FSA orbit x headset? Had to get new hs as my old pig is pretty past it l)l

I can tell you the orbit MX is a great value.
Smooth bearings.
Watch out for the dust seal which has a slight bevel.
(Part number MSO90 in the exploded view)
The bevel faces _up_ otherwise it will bind.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 22:39 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
Galfer rotors and pads completely transformed my Guides into an amazing brake. YOU BUY NOW!

I feel the same way about the Swiss Stop ExoTherm pads for the G2 brakes. Nearly eliminated brake fade. I run them on my Red AXS calipers as well. They look ridiculous but they work so well.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 5:56 Quote
I'll toss out I swapped for the regular galfer pads from Shimano metallic, aside from a little noise when on the brakes they are better in every way. I now use that noise as a reminder to not comfort brake.

Swiss stop is a great resource pad performance aside, let's you see what pads are compatible with what calipers, huge in this day when you can't find much of anything off the shelf for a reasonable price.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 6:23 Quote
Big help everyone - thank you!

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 18:36 Quote
kinny-pb wrote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a mechanic, but thought I'd make a thread for quick questions for mechanics to answer all technical related enquiries.

I thought it'd be a good idea as when mechanics have seen this, they can subscribe, and most questions will be seen by one of the mechs to be answered if somebody is desperate for a quick answer.

Feel free to click HERE which will subscribe you to the thread, or just click subscribe above.

#BANS , #BANS

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 18:37 Quote
So can I just machine off 3.5mm off each end of my chris king thru axle hubs to run on a 135 qr frame and put qr adaptors in?

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 18:39 Quote
Hope so because dropped it off at a machine shop today since I cannot find 135 for my hub.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 18:46 Quote
happyfoot wrote:
So can I just machine off 3.5mm off each end of my chris king thru axle hubs to run on a 135 qr frame and put qr adaptors in?
no. just no. You can only make hubs wider, not narrower. get yourself a cheaper 135x9 qr hub. Hope Pro 4 comes in 135x9 qr. https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/hope-pro-4-mtb-quick-release-rear-hub/rp-prod145298

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 19:03 Quote
You might be able to get away with it. The brakes will be the biggest issue.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 19:56 Quote
I love how this came across as a threat: "If I don't hear back by sunrise, the hub gets it."

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 21:18 Quote
For every hour you delay, I will remove one ball bearing.

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 1:07 Quote
Client9 wrote:
jimbomodder wrote:
Any one had experience with FSA orbit x headset? Had to get new hs as my old pig is pretty past it l)l

I can tell you the orbit MX is a great value.
Smooth bearings.
Watch out for the dust seal which has a slight bevel.
(Part number MSO90 in the exploded view)
The bevel faces _up_ otherwise it will bind.
ok I'll have a look when it arrives.

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 1:08 Quote
Alright everyone, can I increase the travel of drop off IV 120mm to 150 but moving spacers around inside or do I need specific 150mm internals? Not got the forks yet so checking with you guys 1st

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012655
Mobile Version of Website