Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 3:43 Quote
jimbomodder wrote:
Alright everyone, can I increase the travel of drop off IV 120mm to 150 but moving spacers around inside or do I need specific 150mm internals? Not got the forks yet so checking with you guys 1st

Shortening travel is a lot easier than extending it. Original Drop Off IV's from 2006 were 130mm if I recall correctly so probably a no go in lengthening the travel past this

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 6:29 Quote
radatabs wrote:
jimbomodder wrote:
Alright everyone, can I increase the travel of drop off IV 120mm to 150 but moving spacers around inside or do I need specific 150mm internals? Not got the forks yet so checking with you guys 1st

Shortening travel is a lot easier than extending it. Original Drop Off IV's from 2006 were 130mm if I recall correctly so probably a no go in lengthening the travel past this
I only ask as I've seen bikes fitted with 150mm version so was unsure if internals were same to save money or actually different ones

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 7:56 Quote
bishopsmike wrote:
I love how this came across as a threat: "If I don't hear back by sunrise, the hub gets it."

barp wrote:
For every hour you delay, I will remove one ball bearing.

lol lol

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 8:05 Quote
jimbomodder wrote:
radatabs wrote:
jimbomodder wrote:

I only ask as I've seen bikes fitted with 150mm version so was unsure if internals were same to save money or actually different ones

You might be in luck it really depends on the fork. If I recall correctly you could use a spacer to lower the travel or you would cut the air shaft and tap it.

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=15445&pagenum=6

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 16:13 Quote
Noob here, searching for help, please! Let me know if this is the wrong place to ask. I just purchased the Marin Rift Zone 27.5. I ordered it by mail so it came disassembled. I just finished putting it together, but I think a piece is missing?

This is what the front axle looks like on one end. Shouldn't there be a piece to hold the axle in place? Or am I wrong? I've searched the box and wrapping a dozen times with no luck. Does anyone know what typically comes on the Rift Zone? Is that a piece I can order on its own, or how much do I need to replace? Also, what is that piece even called? I can call the shop I bought the bike from and ask if they can help, but not sure how to describe what I'm missing.

Here are some other images if it's helpful. This is the other side of that front wheel axle:

And this is the back wheel, which I assume the front wheel should match?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 16:17 Quote
front axle threads into the fork. you're all set.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 16:33 Quote
Perfectly normal.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 16:33 Quote
Nope. It's f*cked. Send it back. lol

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 16:41 Quote
alp4224 wrote:
Noob here, searching for help, please! Let me know if this is the wrong place to ask. I just purchased the Marin Rift Zone 27.5. I ordered it by mail so it came disassembled. I just finished putting it together, but I think a piece is missing?

This is what the front axle looks like on one end. Shouldn't there be a piece to hold the axle in place? Or am I wrong? I've searched the box and wrapping a dozen times with no luck. Does anyone know what typically comes on the Rift Zone? Is that a piece I can order on its own, or how much do I need to replace? Also, what is that piece even called? I can call the shop I bought the bike from and ask if they can help, but not sure how to describe what I'm missing.

Here are some other images if it's helpful. This is the other side of that front wheel axle:

And this is the back wheel, which I assume the front wheel should match?

Thanks in advance for any help.

And I hope you did flip your handlebars over!!!

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 17:07 Quote
Uh yeah, shifters go on the bottom fyi...

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 17:23 Quote
whattheheel wrote:

And I hope you did flip your handlebars over!!!

And while you flip the handlebar back: do it such that you fix the routing of the front brake hose...

It looks like on of those string puzzles like this. Flip the bar under the down tube and then the others are routed wrongVery confused * .. Easiest is just to take lever from the bars and re-attach after untangling.

Just in case you flipped the bars like this because you want to have the front brake on the right, that doesn't work with those kind of brake levers: reservoirs should be on top. The hoses can be swapped, but as brakes are rather important let a professional do it or assist you.

*Aw solved the puzzle: release handlebar clamp bolts of stem, hold handlebars and make a full 360 CCW with the fork to unspin the hose. Re-attach the handlebar.

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 17:40 Quote
For safety sake, take it to a shop before you ride it, to avoid killing yourself.
A few bucks to have them check it over is way less expensive than a new set of teeth!

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 17:41 Quote
johnovey wrote:
For safety sake, take it to a shop before you ride it, to avoid killing yourself.
A few bucks to have them check it over is way less expensive than a new set of teeth!

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 21:42 Quote
Aaand this is why Marin (and most reputable bike brands) will not allow a dealer to sell a new bike still in the box. Whatever shop sold this one could get their dealership rescinded for doing this.

Yes, those handlebars are backwards.

Yes, OP should have a qualified mechanic check the bike over.

One other thing worth mentioning is that the rear "thru axle" is very different from the front one on the base model Rift Zones because it's a 5 mm QR lever with a weird adapter. The bike can be upgraded to a normal 148 x 12 thru axle if you buy a real thru axle wheel (this one is not) and the correct thru axle to go with it. There's a weird threaded adapter on the driveside that you will need to remove. The correct axle is 174 long x 12 diameter x 1.5 thread pitch x 20 thread length, and you can just use Salsa part number FS0011 (Marin refused to sell me a stock one so I had to find another brand).

Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 22:28 Quote
Boost 141 for the win! Thanks, sad no one.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017554
Mobile Version of Website