Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jan 22, 2022 at 7:54 Quote
Honestly, appreciate all the help -- Looks like I know even less than I thought Confused I'll take it into a local bike shop

Posted: Jan 23, 2022 at 3:33 Quote
Hey guys, would a damper body swap work between a Kage Rc and a vivid shock of the same size?

Posted: Jan 23, 2022 at 16:38 Quote
i have a random question... i have a RF pressfit BB in my clash and im annoyed with the plastic covers that go in between the crank arm and the bb face.. i have a combination of really wet in the spring and then super fine dust in the summer and my cranks constantly creak from shit getting in between the shitty plastic cover and the bearing face... do they make anything better? i looked at other BBs and it seems they have the same shitty cover

Posted: Jan 23, 2022 at 17:10 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
i have a random question... i have a RF pressfit BB in my clash and im annoyed with the plastic covers that go in between the crank arm and the bb face.. i have a combination of really wet in the spring and then super fine dust in the summer and my cranks constantly creak from shit getting in between the shitty plastic cover and the bearing face... do they make anything better? i looked at other BBs and it seems they have the same shitty cover

I’ve got one bike with a PF BB and I run a Wheels Manufacturing BB and instead of a shitty plastic cover it has a mediocre silicone cover. Better? Maybe? I fill the space between the cover and the bearing with waterproof grease and it seems to do the trick as long as I clean out and replace the grease at couple times a year.

Posted: Jan 23, 2022 at 18:48 Quote
Hi all, in the last few days of riding I have noticed that the front end of my bike feels terrible. It is not my fork. It felt like my headset bearings were moving back and forth inside my head tube. I tried compressing my stack even more but the problem was still there. I took apart my headset and sure enough, the top bearing was moving back and forth very slightly. It was still enough to make the bike ride terrible. The steerer tube is not moving up and down inside the head tube, it is moving back and forth along the bike's length. Tightening the star nut and top cap do nothing to fix it. Is there any way I can buy just new top replacement bearings as the bottom ones still feel fine. Can you recommend me to any cheap ones as I don't want to spend too much.

(edit) I am using a One EDC lite tool on my bike. I have tried tightening it down more but I get it so tight that I need to use pliers to tighten it more. Do you think the EDC carrier is bottoming out on my star nut? I don't think it is because if I add one more stem spacer, the bolt in the EDC carrier does not thread into the star nut. I can still feel the bearing wiggle even with the star nut very tight. Do I need a new headset or is there something I can do the fix this?

Thanks!

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 9:14 Quote
Lion1 wrote:
Hi all, in the last few days of riding I have noticed that the front end of my bike feels terrible. It is not my fork. It felt like my headset bearings were moving back and forth inside my head tube. I tried compressing my stack even more but the problem was still there. I took apart my headset and sure enough, the top bearing was moving back and forth very slightly. It was still enough to make the bike ride terrible. The steerer tube is not moving up and down inside the head tube, it is moving back and forth along the bike's length. Tightening the star nut and top cap do nothing to fix it. Is there any way I can buy just new top replacement bearings as the bottom ones still feel fine. Can you recommend me to any cheap ones as I don't want to spend too much.

(edit) I am using a One EDC lite tool on my bike. I have tried tightening it down more but I get it so tight that I need to use pliers to tighten it more. Do you think the EDC carrier is bottoming out on my star nut? I don't think it is because if I add one more stem spacer, the bolt in the EDC carrier does not thread into the star nut. I can still feel the bearing wiggle even with the star nut very tight. Do I need a new headset or is there something I can do the fix this?

Thanks!

Yes, just take the top bearing in to your local LBS. They should be able to source it. Get the bearing number off of it if you can.
But really, if the top is going, the bottom bearing is probably on its way out too. Replace both. I think maybe two enduro bearings cost me about $35 CAD last time I changed some.

To save money on bearings... keep the bastards well greased.

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 9:49 Quote
And Never Ever ride with a loose head set!!
Or a loose anything

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 10:32 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
And Never Ever ride with a loose head set!!
Or a loose anything

I'd be worried about my head tube being oval from being ridden with a loose headset. OP should ask the shop to check for that as well while you are going in to get a new headset or headset bearings.

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 7:31 Quote
Lion1 wrote:

Thanks!

Make sure the cap is not bottoming out on the steerer tube before the bearings are tight. This is what it sounds like to me, add a spacer on top of the stem.

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 15:20 Quote
BigDaddyE wrote:
Lion1 wrote:

Thanks!

Make sure the cap is not bottoming out on the steerer tube before the bearings are tight. This is what it sounds like to me, add a spacer on top of the stem.

I have tried that. I measured it and the EDC carrier (the plastic piece that holds the multitool) has a bit less than half of an inch before it will bottom out on the star nut. That seems fine. I tried adding another spacer but the bolt in the carrier is not long enough to reach the threads of the star nut. I tried my original top cap bolt which is a bit longer and the threads were a bit long. I added another stem spacer but the bolt gets way too tight to turn anymore before the bolt threads into the star nut enough to compress the stack. Im at the point now where I am trying to clean my star nut and bolt to make sure no dirt is clogging it up and making the bolt get too tight to turn too early. The bolt should be able to thread all the way through the star nut right?

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 15:43 Quote
So if you want to check if the edc is preloading the bearings enough. Put the topcap on and tight it down, then tighten the stem bolts. Take the tapcap/edc out and if it bottomed out on the spacer there will be no gap between the spacer and steerer.

There is the possibility that the starnut has been pushed too far down the steerer to allow you to thread in the edc top cap and have enough spacers. If that is the case you will need a new starnut installed.

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 17:19 Quote
Lion1 wrote:

I have tried that. I measured it and the EDC carrier (the plastic piece that holds the multitool) has a bit less than half of an inch before it will bottom out on the star nut. That seems fine. I tried adding another spacer but the bolt in the carrier is not long enough to reach the threads of the star nut. I tried my original top cap bolt which is a bit longer and the threads were a bit long. I added another stem spacer but the bolt gets way too tight to turn anymore before the bolt threads into the star nut enough to compress the stack. Im at the point now where I am trying to clean my star nut and bolt to make sure no dirt is clogging it up and making the bolt get too tight to turn too early. The bolt should be able to thread all the way through the star nut right?

Yes, the bolt should be able to thread through the star nut to the end of threads at the head of the bolt (all the way in).

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 0:10 Quote
Noticed something a bit weird this evening, wondering if anyone's got a decent explanation. There's a bit of wear on the backside of the crown on my fork, and a matching spot on the back of the bottom headset cup too. It's nothing too major, just enough to wear through the finish and scuff up the metal a bit. The obvious explanation is that they're touching somehow, but I can get a 0.9mm feeler gauge in between the crown and the lower headset cup with the headset all tightened up. Anyone got any idea what could cause this?

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 0:42 Quote
jimlaheytps wrote:
Noticed something a bit weird this evening, wondering if anyone's got a decent explanation. There's a bit of wear on the backside of the crown on my fork, and a matching spot on the back of the bottom headset cup too. It's nothing too major, just enough to wear through the finish and scuff up the metal a bit. The obvious explanation is that they're touching somehow, but I can get a 0.9mm feeler gauge in between the crown and the lower headset cup with the headset all tightened up. Anyone got any idea what could cause this?

After thinking about this more, it must have been from after having the headset replaced and having the wrong crown race on for a little bit.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 1:33 Quote
Could well be the explanation but also a possibility the headset bearings are/were worn, causing some movement in the fork and steerer tube making the two surfaces touch slightly.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015134
Mobile Version of Website