Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
O+
Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 8:21 Quote
Hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

I am wanting to instal a Box Prime9 drivetrain on a 2017 Liv Pique 3. The bike currently has a Shimano Deore 2x drive train with a Shimano direct mount derailleur hanger.

My question is, what Derailleur hanger am I going to need for this bike to make it work? (looking on MheelsMFG or NSB doesn't list this bike)

O+
Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 9:39 Quote
jimlaheytps wrote:
Noticed something a bit weird this evening, wondering if anyone's got a decent explanation. There's a bit of wear on the backside of the crown on my fork, and a matching spot on the back of the bottom headset cup too. It's nothing too major, just enough to wear through the finish and scuff up the metal a bit. The obvious explanation is that they're touching somehow, but I can get a 0.9mm feeler gauge in between the crown and the lower headset cup with the headset all tightened up. Anyone got any idea what could cause this?

Only 0.9 mm when not riding, but the interface isn't perfect and there is flex when riding, so that 0.9mm would get eaten up pretty quick.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 10:36 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
So if you want to check if the edc is preloading the bearings enough. Put the topcap on and tight it down, then tighten the stem bolts. Take the tapcap/edc out and if it bottomed out on the spacer there will be no gap between the spacer and steerer.

There is the possibility that the starnut has been pushed too far down the steerer to allow you to thread in the edc top cap and have enough spacers. If that is the case you will need a new starnut installed.

I think my star nut threads are damaged or partially stripped. I will try your idea on making sure the EDC has enough room to compress. If my star nut threads are stripped it would explain why when I added another spacer to the steerer tube, the bolt got very hard to tighten after a few turns. I was still able to get the stack tight enough when I removed that spacer (I could not feel up and down movement but the back-and-forth play still remained. I don't think getting a new star nut will help. It would certainly help make it easier to thread the bolt into the star nut but since I can still get it tight enough as is, and the play still remains, I don't think it would eliminate the play that seems to be coming from the lower headset bearing. I also don't have the tool to push the star nut down. I would buy it but they only push the star nut down the normal amount. I would have to pound the star nut down more using the bolt included with the EDC. The problem is I bent that bolt the first time I installed the EDC and I can only get another one if I buy a new edc carrier.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 10:48 Quote
Lion1 wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:
So if you want to check if the edc is preloading the bearings enough. Put the topcap on and tight it down, then tighten the stem bolts. Take the tapcap/edc out and if it bottomed out on the spacer there will be no gap between the spacer and steerer.

There is the possibility that the starnut has been pushed too far down the steerer to allow you to thread in the edc top cap and have enough spacers. If that is the case you will need a new starnut installed.

I think my star nut threads are damaged or partially stripped....I also don't have the tool to push the star nut down. I would buy it but they only push the star nut down the normal amount. I would have to pound the star nut down more using the bolt included with the EDC. The problem is I bent that bolt the first time I installed the EDC and I can only get another one if I buy a new edc carrier.

Just get a piece of all-thread that fits the star nut a few inches longer than the steerer. Screw it into the star nut and tap it down and out the bottom. That's the 'nice' way to do it. I've seen guys just get a long screwdriver and hammer them out too, but use what you can sort easiest.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 11:42 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
Lion1 wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:

I think my star nut threads are damaged or partially stripped....I also don't have the tool to push the star nut down. I would buy it but they only push the star nut down the normal amount. I would have to pound the star nut down more using the bolt included with the EDC. The problem is I bent that bolt the first time I installed the EDC and I can only get another one if I buy a new edc carrier.

Just get a piece of all-thread that fits the star nut a few inches longer than the steerer. Screw it into the star nut and tap it down and out the bottom. That's the 'nice' way to do it. I've seen guys just get a long screwdriver and hammer them out too, but use what you can sort easiest.

Do you think replacing my star nut would fix the wiggling in my headset. I can get it tight enough already

O+
Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 11:58 Quote
kmag76 wrote:

I am wanting to instal a Box Prime9 drivetrain on a 2017 Liv Pique 3. The bike currently has a Shimano Deore 2x drive train with a Shimano direct mount derailleur hanger.

My question is, what Derailleur hanger am I going to need for this bike to make it work? (looking on MheelsMFG or NSB doesn't list this bike)

To answer my question. I ended up finding a Giant RE270A hanger, which looks like it will work.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 12:35 Quote
Lion1 wrote:
Do you think replacing my star nut would fix the wiggling in my headset. I can get it tight enough already

Not sure without seeing myself. Just trying to help you sort out replacing the star nut situation you said you couldn't remove.

Good luck though.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 15:00 Quote
kmag76 wrote:
kmag76 wrote:

To answer my question. I ended up finding a Giant RE270A hanger, which looks like it will work.

Happy I could help!

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 15:11 Quote
I'm wondering what size of BB I need I have Commencal Meta AM 2021 the crankset on it are these (https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/deore-m5100/FC-M5100-1.html) and I believe this is the current BB in it (https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/deore-m5100/BB-MT500-PA.html). What would the measurement of the new one need to be? I'm not sure what's what when it comes to getting a new BB.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a new BB? I want something that will last a long time and not break the bank.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 15:26 Quote
Sethsg wrote:
I'm wondering what size of BB I need I have Commencal Meta AM 2021 the crankset on it are these (https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/deore-m5100/FC-M5100-1.html) and I believe this is the current BB in it (https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/deore-m5100/BB-MT500-PA.html). What would the measurement of the new one need to be? I'm not sure what's what when it comes to getting a new BB.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a new BB? I want something that will last a long time and not break the bank.

Think the Meta AM has a press fit BB92 shell if I remember correctly. Just look up BB92 and you'll get a ton of choices, RaceFace makes a BB called the Cinch which is pretty decent for the money. $60

Hope that helps

O+
Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 15:42 Quote
The Shimano BB92 is pretty good for the money as well.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 16:55 Quote
Brandonzamp wrote:
Sethsg wrote:

Think the Meta AM has a press fit BB92 shell if I remember correctly. Just look up BB92 and you'll get a ton of choices, RaceFace makes a BB called the Cinch which is pretty decent for the money. $60

Hope that helps
would it be a 30mm or a 25mm BB92?

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 16:57 Quote
get a shimano mt800 bb92. https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-BB-MT800-Pressfit-Bottom-Bracket like 35 bucks (cad) and it's good. all shimano cranks have a spindle dia of 24mm.

Posted: Jan 27, 2022 at 6:08 Quote
Sethsg wrote:

Just go to the Commencal website, look up your bike, click on 'Specs' and scroll down to the bottom bracket.

Glancing there I found METAs built with a couple different Shimano BB options: BBMT500, BBMT800, SM-BB71-41A.

Find your make and model bike, look at the specs and you're all set. Once you know the built spec then you can either get the one it came with or shop around for a third party BB if you like.

Good luck.

EDIT: Sorry - somehow missed all the good answers above.

Posted: Jan 27, 2022 at 9:45 Quote
Brandonzamp wrote:
Sethsg wrote:

Hope that helps
Thanks!!!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024686
Mobile Version of Website