Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 8:46 Quote
Brandonzamp wrote:
Sethsg wrote:
I'm wondering what size of BB I need I have Commencal Meta AM 2021 the crankset on it are these (https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/deore-m5100/FC-M5100-1.html) and I believe this is the current BB in it (https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/deore-m5100/BB-MT500-PA.html). What would the measurement of the new one need to be? I'm not sure what's what when it comes to getting a new BB.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a new BB? I want something that will last a long time and not break the bank.

Think the Meta AM has a press fit BB92 shell if I remember correctly. Just look up BB92 and you'll get a ton of choices, RaceFace makes a BB called the Cinch which is pretty decent for the money. $60

Hope that helps
One last question what would the shell width be? On RF you can buy the BB92 in 89/92, 121/124, and 104/107 shell widths. I looked on Commencal and the only thing they say about the sizing is it is a BB92.

Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 9:09 Quote
scratched the stanchions on my Fox 32 SC Performance Fork. Is this something I need to address? If so, how? I feel like its no big deal but worried scratches could wear on the seals as the fork goes through its compression.

Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 9:22 Quote
SATN-XC wrote:
scratched the stanchions on my Fox 32 SC Performance Fork. Is this something I need to address? If so, how? I feel like its no big deal but worried scratches could wear on the seals as the fork goes through its compression.

Depends on the scratch.

If it is smooth and not too deep with no burs or rough spots you should be ok.

If it's rough but not to deep you should lightly sand it down with a really high grit sandpaper dipped in oil.

If it's deep you may want to add some nail polish then lightly sand it down flat.

Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 9:51 Quote
Sethsg wrote:
Brandonzamp wrote:
Sethsg wrote:
I'm wondering what size of BB I need I have Commencal Meta AM 2021 the crankset on it are these (https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/deore-m5100/FC-M5100-1.html) and I believe this is the current BB in it (https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/deore-m5100/BB-MT500-PA.html). What would the measurement of the new one need to be? I'm not sure what's what when it comes to getting a new BB.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a new BB? I want something that will last a long time and not break the bank.

Think the Meta AM has a press fit BB92 shell if I remember correctly. Just look up BB92 and you'll get a ton of choices, RaceFace makes a BB called the Cinch which is pretty decent for the money. $60

Hope that helps
One last question what would the shell width be? On RF you can buy the BB92 in 89/92, 121/124, and 104/107 shell widths. I looked on Commencal and the only thing they say about the sizing is it is a BB92.

If it isn't printed on your existing BB then with either a ruler or caliper you can just measure your shell width.

Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 10:16 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
Sethsg wrote:
Brandonzamp wrote:

Hope that helps
Okay, thanks for your help I appreciate it!

If it isn't printed on your existing BB then with either a ruler or caliper you can just measure your shell width.

Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 11:39 Quote
Sethsg wrote:
BenLow2019 wrote:
Sethsg wrote:

I'm not 100% sure this would fit your bike, but I found this offered on the Commencal Website because they do sell bottom brackets there - the spindle diameter may be off, but the width might still match and may be what you're seeking:
bigquotesThe BB92 bottom bracket for RACEFACE cranksets with the CINCH system is designed for use with 30mm axles and a Press Fit bottom bracket. The ball bearings are fully sealed for better corrosion resistance.

Material: Aluminium
Bearing material: Steel
Type: BB92 PressFit
Width: 89.5 - 92mm

Hope this doesn't make things more confusing.

Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 12:00 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
Sethsg wrote:
BenLow2019 wrote:

I'm not 100% sure this would fit your bike, but I found this offered on the Commencal Website because they do sell bottom brackets there - the spindle diameter may be off, but the width might still match and may be what you're seeking:
bigquotesThe BB92 bottom bracket for RACEFACE cranksets with the CINCH system is designed for use with 30mm axles and a Press Fit bottom bracket. The ball bearings are fully sealed for better corrosion resistance.

Material: Aluminium
Bearing material: Steel
Type: BB92 PressFit
Width: 89.5 - 92mm

Hope this doesn't make things more confusing.
I’ll measure it and I also contacted Commencal asking. Though it is probably 89/92.

Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 14:53 Quote
Hi all, got a question that I’m pretty sure I know the answer to but wanna double check. Got a set of saints on process that are shot in the front, I’m guessing it’s just the calliper that’s dead and I only need to replace that? Was planning on just putting a XT caliber on it, so XT caliber with saint levers. Would this work fine? Or should I replace the entire setup

Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 15:13 Quote
sack-javage wrote:
Hi all, got a question that I’m pretty sure I know the answer to but wanna double check. Got a set of saints on process that are shot in the front, I’m guessing it’s just the calliper that’s dead and I only need to replace that? Was planning on just putting a XT caliber on it, so XT caliber with saint levers. Would this work fine? Or should I replace the entire setup

Not enough info to determine if replacing just the caliper would fix issue. What does 'shot in front mean'? Does it have leaks and if so were from? When was it last bled?

Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 17:39 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
sack-javage wrote:

Not enough info to determine if replacing just the caliper would fix issue. What does 'shot in front mean'? Does it have leaks and if so were from? When was it last bled?

Like just the front brake isn’t working, the rears fine. Nah no leaks that’s what I first checked. And bleeding about every two weeks, been into the LBS and they bleed it but same issue so I know that’s not the problem. Hence why I was guessing I’d be fine with just replacing the caliper but it’s next to impossible to get saint calipers in NZ atm so was gonna get something cheaper

Posted: Jan 29, 2022 at 10:44 Quote
When you say it doesn’t work, it’s not really enough info to know. To check, work through the following questions.
Is there piston movement when you pull the lever? If not, the caliper is seized.
Is there enough pressure to clamp the wheel when stationary? If not, likely a bad bleed.
Is there no power when pulling the brake and moving? Likely to be a bad bleed or bad pads/rotors
How old are your pads and rotors and do they show signs of glazing?

If you haven’t already tried new pads, or at least swapping pads pack to front, I’d start there when diagnosing fixes (assuming the answer is yes to the first two questions)

Posted: Feb 1, 2022 at 16:25 Quote
Hi, Putting new brake cables and housing on my nieces bike. The ferrules I am using are passing straight through the cable stops.. Not sure what I am doing wrong here. Side note: I cannot figure out how to post pictures of my problem here.

Posted: Feb 1, 2022 at 18:08 Quote
GioE wrote:
Hi, Putting new brake cables and housing on my nieces bike. The ferrules I am using are passing straight through the cable stops.. Not sure what I am doing wrong here. Side note: I cannot figure out how to post pictures of my problem here.

Are the "cable stops" just loops with no constriction on either end? If so, they're intended for full-length cable housings (all the way from the lever to the brake). What kind of bike is it? If it's a road bike, maybe you're dealing with an old-school brake lever that requires a part equivalent to the Dia Compe End Button?

Posted: Feb 1, 2022 at 20:28 Quote
GioE wrote:

I did have an old cannondale chase that had cable stops that needed these little proprietary plastic inserts. They looked like regular cable stops though.

Posted: Feb 2, 2022 at 6:46 Quote
I have never tried that placement for a fender on the rear. How is it working for you? My Ripmo linkage could use some more protection.

ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
BryanBobo wrote:
I’ve got a ~7m old Fox DPX2 Rear Shock that suddenly started having the below symptoms:

- Making bad squishing noises during compression.
- Climb switch doesn’t work (It does have SOME effect but clearly not locking out the way it was).

Questions:
(1) Seems like maybe there is air in the damper. Any thoughts on other things to consider? Especially since they happened at the same time?
(2) I know this is challenging to answer but any thoughts on whether this is worth a warranty claim or likely they will just say normal wear and tear?

**I'm NOT a mechanic here!

I had an issue once w/my newer factory dxpx2, similar issue though. Have you TRIED repeating the factory set-up sequence? What I did was, let air out SLOWLY, and cycled it up/down, in/out each 20-30 or so PSI of pressure I let out.

THEN, I put the air pressure back in. 60psi, cycle it FULLY about 10-15-20 times, another 40-60psi, cycle it again, and so on until I got to my FULL psi setting (which is high because I use a cascade link too).

Sound went away, 3-position switch worked like normal, everything worked perfect. I just thought I'd chime-in 2 cents since I had a similar issue and in case you haven't tried that. Maybe do it before paying for full service or returning? anyway it worked perfect on my new FOX DPX2 because I didn't take all the time to FULLY cycle it several times before getting the air pressure in there the first time I set it up.

Didn t know if the front MuckyNutz would fit with the way the carbon is shaped inside the seatstay where it attaches to the link. Fit perfect. This made a noticeable difference. The one that fits under the seat doesn t help too much but still helped a little. The two together is a great idea.

~JSV

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016135
Mobile Version of Website