Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
O+
Posted: May 11, 2022 at 11:12 Quote
i don't think youre going to notice a huge difference in stiffness between the i9 system wheel sets, as the 24h ones have enormous spokes. the evil following is a relatively stiff carbon frame, and its made for light duty trail riding, so you should be fine with lighter weight wheels. that being said, i would just get some solid dt swiss wheels, you'd probably end up saving some money for similar weight.

Posted: May 11, 2022 at 11:21 Quote
fr
Kamiizoo wrote:
that price also gets you a hydra hub instead of a 1/1

Posted: May 11, 2022 at 12:11 Quote
not one mention of spoke tension?

whatever...

Posted: May 11, 2022 at 12:55 Quote
Hey guys

Does anyone make one piece 10 speed cassettes?

Posted: May 11, 2022 at 12:58 Quote
Lion1 wrote:
You can get the Trail S wheel with a Hydra hub for 990 dollars.
why would you get an alu wheelset for 990 bucks when you can get a nobl tr32 wheelset for 1300 usd w/dt 350 hubs (or less if you choose the 18t ratchet)

Posted: May 11, 2022 at 13:06 Quote
liamd-24 wrote:
Hey guys

Does anyone make one piece 10 speed cassettes?

https://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/components/gears-drivetrain/sram-xx-xg1099-10-speed-mtb-cassette__13039

big ring is aluminium though

Posted: May 11, 2022 at 15:11 Quote
photo

bought an used bike with damaged carbon frame. Should I even try to ride it? If I would like to repair it, how?
Seems like carbon fibers are just bent from impact, not broken, but I might be wrong

Posted: May 11, 2022 at 15:14 Quote
kona-n wrote:
photo

bought an used bike with damaged carbon frame. Should I even try to ride it? If I would like to repair it, how?
Seems like carbon fibers are just bent from impact, not broken, but I might be wrong

Can probably be fixed by professionals. May be worth it if the bike is valuable enough otherwise.

O+
Posted: May 11, 2022 at 15:42 Quote
Yeah I would not ride it with the damage unrepaired.

Posted: May 12, 2022 at 16:59 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
Lion1 wrote:
noakeabean wrote:

If you have a stiff frame. You can run less stiff wheels. If you have a less stiff frame, you can make up the stiffness in the wheels. I think thats what he said

Yeah that is basically what he said. Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhQRDisJgqY
I was thinking that for where I ride a 24 hole wheel would be fine. Comparing the Trail 270 32H to the Hydra Trail S, is there any point in even considering the Trail 270 32h because they are the same weight so you are basically paying 500 dollars more just to be able to pick the colors of your spokes.

Haha, I'll admit I was prepared to hate that video, but I've watched it, and he actually makes a fair point. I might have to watch some more of his stuff.

As far as I could tell he was saying you should match the wheel stiffness to the rest of the bike, so flexier wheels on flexier frames, and stiffer wheels on stiffer frames. And tend towards slightly stiffer wheels on frames with more aggressive geo/more travel. Which all makes sense to me.

Posted: May 12, 2022 at 23:58 Quote
Could i convert a DVO Topaz T3 from 230x65 to 230x62.5 by adding a volumespacer?

Posted: May 13, 2022 at 0:26 Quote
IzacBacklund wrote:
Could i convert a DVO Topaz T3 from 230x65 to 230x62.5 by adding a volumespacer?

Yes, it’s not with a volume spacer which is for the air chamber volume though but they make travel spacers in 2.5mm 5mm and 7.5mm.
So you need the 2.5 mm one it’s like $5 and super easy to put in

O+
Posted: May 13, 2022 at 6:50 Quote
Brodybro29 wrote:
IzacBacklund wrote:

Yes, it’s not with a volume spacer which is for the air chamber volume though but they make travel spacers in 2.5mm 5mm and 7.5mm.
So you need the 2.5 mm one it’s like $5 and super easy to put in

Correct. This is what you need: https://shop.windwave.co.uk/spare-parts/forks-shocks/dvo-topaz-25mm-travel-spacer-in-white__11382

They are currently out of stock at DVO headquarters because they are moving away from the molded plastic clip-on spacers to solid aluminum ones. Unfortunately those will not be so easy to install, requiring a re-bleed, so get one of the plastic one while you can.

Posted: May 15, 2022 at 18:20 Quote
The other day I noticed my disc brakes were rubbing. After quick inspection I realized it wasn’t alignment it was just that the caliper pistons were too far out and squeezing the caliper lightly. I removed the lever bleed port screw, used a pad spacer to push the pistons in the rotor back a bit, good as new everything worked fine. After a few more rides I’m in the same issue again where the pads have progressed to the point of squeezing the caliper even when not engaged. Any idea what could be happening here/causing this?

Posted: May 15, 2022 at 20:36 Quote
BryanBobo wrote:
The other day I noticed my disc brakes were rubbing. After quick inspection I realized it wasn’t alignment it was just that the caliper pistons were too far out and squeezing the caliper lightly. I removed the lever bleed port screw, used a pad spacer to push the pistons in the rotor back a bit, good as new everything worked fine. After a few more rides I’m in the same issue again where the pads have progressed to the point of squeezing the caliper even when not engaged. Any idea what could be happening here/causing this?

when was the last time you cleaned your caliper? it could be that the pistons are sticky and cant retract on their own.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.049057
Mobile Version of Website