Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: May 19, 2022 at 12:46 Quote
Around 10 nm, usually. Depends on frame and axle.

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 13:42 Quote
My TransX dropper post is acting like a suspension seatpost. (Not sure of the model sorry) It will sink into its travel when i sit on it. Is this something that can be fixed or does the post need to be replaced? If it can be fixed what needs to be done?

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 16:34 Quote
HaveYouEverPutButterOnAPoptart wrote:
My TransX dropper post is acting like a suspension seatpost. (Not sure of the model sorry) It will sink into its travel when i sit on it. Is this something that can be fixed or does the post need to be replaced? If it can be fixed what needs to be done?

The cartridge can’t be rebuilt but it can be replaced.

https://na.tranzx.com/collections/service-parts/products/replacement-cartridges

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 16:36 Quote
maximusj wrote:
I have an Orbea/OC dropper that needs bushing service, but Orbea’s kit is back ordered. Pictures from the internet suggest that the plastic keys and bushings for sdg and other wintek based posts (giant, bontrager) might be the same thing. Does anyone have any experience with these? Thanks!

At least one person documented their success using the OneUp V1 rebuild kit in a different Wintek-based post: https://mtbengineer.blogspot.com/2021/10/oneup-v1tranz-xbrand-x-cartridge.html?m=1

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 18:06 Quote
Thank ya
melanthius wrote:
HaveYouEverPutButterOnAPoptart wrote:

The cartridge can’t be rebuilt but it can be replaced.

https://na.tranzx.com/collections/service-parts/products/replacement-cartridges

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 1:48 Quote
Anyone has experience putting a 220/223 mm disc on the rear on of the new Gambler? The stock adapter is a proprietary adapter to allow for the two axle positions.
It says 203 rotor only, I read that optimistically as that a 200mm would be to small. I believe that at least Cabarou is running 220/223. So I'm fine putting a spacer on top?

Btw the '22 model seems to have an beefed version of the original adapter. So that is always a plus.

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 8:41 Quote
What is the best way to flatten a brake pads. I put to many spacers underneath the caliper so there is about 1mm of pad that formed a lip beacuse it never wore down. Do I just use 220 grit sandpaper or finer?

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 9:07 Quote
@Sethsg, (1)I just use adhesive 120grit sandpaper on a flat surface and try to sand it as consistent as possible. (2) Check your work with a caliper if necessary. (3) Wipe down with IPA and you're done.

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 9:32 Quote
Whatajohnny wrote:
@Sethsg, (1)I just use adhesive 120grit sandpaper on a flat surface and try to sand it as consistent as possible. (2) Check your work with a caliper if necessary. (3) Wipe down with IPA and you're done.
Okay, thanks it will be pretty hard since they are Magura pads so there are 4 pads per calliper.

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 9:42 Quote
Emery cloth works well.

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 11:43 Quote
There are sanding sheets for drywall, forgot what they're called but its a mesh designed to let the dust fall through. Like the others, place it on a flat surface and go for it. Sometimes you can get away with trimming a lip like you've described with a utility knife/box cutter.

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 16:16 Quote
Whatajohnny wrote:
@Sethsg, (3) Wipe down with IPA and you're done.

I prefer to drink my beer.

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 19:01 Quote
Hello!
I recently made some errors bleeding my XT 4 pots, and the bleed block slipped out. One of my pistons is now cracked. I got them on a used bike so there's no warranty on them. Is it worth trying one of those Amazon replacements, or just straight to a new caliper?

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 20:08 Quote
chrisn5 wrote:
Hello!
I recently made some errors bleeding my XT 4 pots, and the bleed block slipped out. One of my pistons is now cracked. I got them on a used bike so there's no warranty on them. Is it worth trying one of those Amazon replacements, or just straight to a new caliper?

I can't speak to the quality of the Amazon replacements, but I am damn curious what exactly happened. How did dropping the bleed block result in cracking a piston? I feel like there's a good cautionary tale in there somewhere.

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 20:18 Quote
barp wrote:
chrisn5 wrote:
Hello!

I can't speak to the quality of the Amazon replacements, but I am damn curious what exactly happened. How did dropping the bleed block result in cracking a piston? I feel like there's a good cautionary tale in there somewhere.
Shimano ceramic pistons are pretty hard and have a habit of cracking / chipping if they're not perfectly centered on the bore. Best part is that Shimano says that they're not serviceable so a guy has to buy a replacement caliper or risk it with sketchy replacements.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013166
Mobile Version of Website