Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: May 20, 2022 at 20:55 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
barp wrote:
chrisn5 wrote:
Hello!
I recently made some errors bleeding my XT 4 pots, and the bleed block slipped out. One of my pistons is now cracked. I got them on a used bike so there's no warranty on them. Is it worth trying one of those Amazon replacements, or just straight to a new caliper?

I can't speak to the quality of the Amazon replacements, but I am damn curious what exactly happened. How did dropping the bleed block result in cracking a piston? I feel like there's a good cautionary tale in there somewhere.
Shimano ceramic pistons are pretty hard and have a habit of cracking / chipping if they're not perfectly centered on the bore. Best part is that Shimano says that they're not serviceable so a guy has to buy a replacement caliper or risk it with sketchy replacements.

Or find someone who also has a cracked piston so you can buy their caliper and scavenge the good piston to repair your caliper. I have a couple of small pistons but no idea how to ever get them out of the caliper now that the two big pistons are out!

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 21:59 Quote
chrisn5 wrote:
Hello!
I recently made some errors bleeding my XT 4 pots, and the bleed block slipped out. One of my pistons is now cracked. I got them on a used bike so there's no warranty on them. Is it worth trying one of those Amazon replacements, or just straight to a new caliper?
Or try and get them warrantied and don’t say unless they ask you directly wether or not they came on a used bike.

Posted: May 21, 2022 at 6:49 Quote
chrisn5 wrote:
Hello!
I got some replacement pistons from eBay a while back and they’ve held up just fine.

Posted: May 22, 2022 at 11:58 Quote
barp wrote:
chrisn5 wrote:
Hello!

I can't speak to the quality of the Amazon replacements, but I am damn curious what exactly happened. How did dropping the bleed block result in cracking a piston? I feel like there's a good cautionary tale in there somewhere.

Was working on the bike outdoors in the stand and a missive gust of wind blew the bike and stand over. The bleed block fell out and I'm 90% sure the lever hit the ground after that.

Posted: May 22, 2022 at 11:59 Quote
Whatajohnny wrote:
chrisn5 wrote:
Hello!
I got some replacement pistons from eBay a while back and they’ve held up just fine.
What brand? I've been looking and I'll been able to find for the new XT Deores are nylon replacements. I'm not too keen on putting them in because the thermal conductivity won't be as high.

Posted: May 22, 2022 at 12:05 Quote

Here's the caliper. If anyone has a set with cracked small pistons lmk

Posted: May 22, 2022 at 12:07 Quote
yeah those pistons are super brittle, I would not worry about thermal transfer to the fluid, bigger disks or different pads are the best solution if you are overheating and getting fade I'd say.

ps cool sox!

Posted: May 22, 2022 at 15:33 Quote
chrisn5 wrote:

Here's the caliper. If anyone has a set with cracked small pistons lmk

Send me a message and I'll send you what I've got left over (I cracked a big piston so have smalls left over).

Posted: May 23, 2022 at 7:12 Quote
What size of damper bushings do I need for a 2018 Mondraker Summum Pro (Al) frame? 22x8 mm?
Thanks, Seb

Posted: May 23, 2022 at 9:33 Quote
Sebinski wrote:
What size of damper bushings do I need for a 2018 Mondraker Summum Pro (Al) frame? 22x8 mm?
Thanks, Seb
Nearly every shock takes bushings with OD 15mm, ID 12.6mm. There are a few shocks that dont however. What shock are you running?

Posted: May 23, 2022 at 13:10 Quote
Hi,

I have returned to cycling after a small hiatus and bought a Kona Honzo. It comes stock with a Deore shifter and Shimano MT410 brakes. I bought some Sram G2 RSC:s which came without brake lever mounts. Now I’m wondering what components I need to install the Deore shifter and the G2 brake lever, preferably together like the original setup.

Any ideas?

Posted: May 23, 2022 at 13:16 Quote
Padi wrote:
Hi,

I have returned to cycling after a small hiatus and bought a Kona Honzo. It comes stock with a Deore shifter and Shimano MT410 brakes. I bought some Sram G2 RSC:s which came without brake lever mounts. Now I’m wondering what components I need to install the Deore shifter and the G2 brake lever, preferably together like the original setup.

Any ideas?

Maybe this:
https://problemsolversbike.com/products/brakes/mismatch_-_30797

Or perhaps this:
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/shiftmount

Just write or call the company for specific compatibility questions.

Good luck.

Posted: May 24, 2022 at 11:24 Quote
I just bought a frame with rear suspension that has 120 mm travel. I have a shock from my old frame that's 130mm travel and I believe they both have a 200 eye to eye. will it mess the geometry up to much if i put on the 130 shock- The bike is going to be a mullet bike if that makes a difference

Posted: May 24, 2022 at 11:35 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
Padi wrote:
Hi,

Any ideas?

Maybe this:
https://problemsolversbike.com/products/brakes/mismatch_-_30797

Or perhaps this:
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/shiftmount

Just write or call the company for specific compatibility questions.

Good luck.

It turns out that my LBS had Wolftooth in the shelf, so I bought a Matchmaker and a Wolftooth adapter. Works well now! Thank you! :-)

Posted: May 24, 2022 at 11:36 Quote
jackoconnor wrote:
I just bought a frame with rear suspension that has 120 mm travel. I have a shock from my old frame that's 130mm travel and I believe they both have a 200 eye to eye. will it mess the geometry up to much if i put on the 130 shock- The bike is going to be a mullet bike if that makes a difference

You also need to know the shock stroke. You can get 130mm of rear wheel travel from a variety of stroke lengths depending on the leverage ratio of the frame linkages. For example a 200mm e2e shock with 50mm of stroke on a bike with an average leverage ratio of 2.5 will yield 125mm of rear travel. Take that same shock and put it on a single pivot with a 1.0 avg LR and you'll only get 50mm of rear travel.

TLDR, make sure the shocks strokes also match.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016262
Mobile Version of Website