Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: May 28, 2022 at 16:21 Quote
I just bought a fox dpx2 for my 2020 Trek Slash and I am wondering what mounting hardware I need to buy because the dpx2 is metric sized and the current shock on my bike is trunnion.

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 16:29 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
yes, lowers are the same

Thank you!

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 16:30 Quote
nicaspen wrote:
I just bought a fox dpx2 for my 2020 Trek Slash and I am wondering what mounting hardware I need to buy because the dpx2 is metric sized and the current shock on my bike is trunnion.

In short you'll need a different shock. Trunion mounted shock are more often then not also metric measurements, you cannot mount a non-trunion shock in a bike designed for a standard double eyelet shock.

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 16:41 Quote
CarolineHix wrote:
1 of them i have had over a year. and the other only a few months. So i find it odd they both share a similar problem.

They click freely between slow and fast adjustment But only within that range stated before.

Basically i can turn it back to fully open and its fine. I then add some slow (Towards the turtle) and that's where one of them allows about 5 clicks and the other 3 clicks. Trying to turn anymore feels tight. Very confused

At first i thought maybe it's some weird custom tune.. but that has nothing to do with the amount of click's right ?
Most rear shocks have like +/- 15/20 click's of adjustment ?

How much are you turning the rebound if you are not counting clicks as long as they are the same it could just be a stuck detent ball. I find on my Low Speed compression adjust I cant only faintly hear the click.

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 17:42 Quote
nicaspen wrote:

If you have a trunnion mount frame then you need a trunnion mount shock. There really is no way to make it work if you don’t have the right shock.

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 19:10 Quote
Any opinions on IRD (Interloc Racing Design) 12sp chains?
MSRP: $79.99 Eek

This would be for a Eagle cassette.

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 19:11 Quote
CarolineHix wrote:
1 of them i have had over a year. and the other only a few months. So i find it odd they both share a similar problem.

They click freely between slow and fast adjustment But only within that range stated before.

Basically i can turn it back to fully open and its fine. I then add some slow (Towards the turtle) and that's where one of them allows about 5 clicks and the other 3 clicks. Trying to turn anymore feels tight. Very confused

At first i thought maybe it's some weird custom tune.. but that has nothing to do with the amount of click's right ?
Most rear shocks have like +/- 15/20 click's of adjustment ?
You could always take off the dials to check if there is dirt or something and clean but I would recommend you take them into a suspension service shop and get them serviced or at the very least looked at.

The seals around the dials can ovalise and dry out if you don't use them often so that could also be the problem.

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 22:02 Quote
So I've heard about the new ButterCups that come standard in the 2023 line of Rockshox forks. I have the previous generation Rockshox Pike and I would like to install Buttercups in the fork if possible. Has anyone seen anywhere if this can be done with the previous generation of forks? Is it possible to only install one and have it work but not install the second one? Would I be able to use Buttercups if I upgraded to the DebonAir+ airspring that is new on 2023 forks? Is it possible to upgrade previous forks to the DebonAir+ airspring?

Thanks!

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 22:09 Quote
buttercups are only able to be used in the new generation I believe.

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 22:13 Quote
https://nsmb.com/articles/2023-rockshox-forks/

bigquotesWith one exception, you cannot put the new Charger 3 IFP damper into your existing chassis. No, you cannot put the new DebonAir+ air system into your existing chassis. No, you cannot put ButterCups into the lowers of your existing forks chassis. That exception is that your MY21+ ZEB can accept all these upgrades.

bigquotesWhat are ButterCups? Physically, they're 39 grams of rubber that deliver 4mm of vertical compliance. They take up space in the bottom of each leg, which is why they are not backwards compatible to previous model year chassis.

bigquotesIf you're buying a (MY23) Base, Select, or Select+ fork and want to add the bumpers, RockShox says that's possible "by purchasing a new DebonAir+ air spring and Charger 3 damper equipped with ButterCups."

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 0:38 Quote
Eek That's the confusing part. If the dial didn't turn at all then yeh it could be dirt or siezed up. But i can literally turn it to fully open and then click it a few times to slow no problem (Not getting stuck or anything) but anything past that it just get's really tight.. gonna go have another look at it today. That said you guys are probably right because on my fork after riding in the rain or something, they CAN get gritty and harder to turn huh. Eek

Just to clarify - It gets stuck after like 3 - 5 clicks not 10 or anything (because obviously theres a limit) Rolleyes im not THAT stupid.

Edit - After a bit of turning and tense moments Eek . im now getting 8 clicks (i think thats the maximum) from my new bike/shock Eek and 6 from the old one (Still very tight)

Kinda annoying because my old fox shock still works nicely and easy to turn in comparison. Facepalm
Thank's for ya'll help. imma keep jiggling until it obey's.

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 7:43 Quote
Count the turns. It sounds like dirty detents to me.

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 8:25 Quote
Thinking about the ButterCup compatibility issue made me realize why they’re such a good idea. They lower breakaway force by separating a normal fork’s stiction into two phases. The ButterCups allow for initial breakaway to only need to overcome the stiction of the bushings and wipers without needing the air spring and damper to move. Then when the ButterCups are compressed some of that stored energy will be used to break the stiction on the spring and damper.

Also, hopefully having Charger 3 at the high end means Motion Control will finally be allowed to die.

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 9:45 Quote
I'm still wondering if the buttercups will be compatible in the previous model year chassis. My pike was a 160mm that I changed to a 150mm. If the only thing that is preventing the upgrade a taller piston, I could run the 150mm in my 160mm chassis and still have clearance to accommodate the longer airspring stack..... Maybe?

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 10:38 Quote
TimMog wrote:
Ok, I've got a 200x50 Cane Creek coil currently. Am I right in thinking that the CC DB Coil IL shock is 200x57 as stock, and the stroke is reduced to 50 using a clip under the bottom out bumper? I only ask because I cannot see any such clip under the bumper, so I'm wondering if changing the stroke is more involved, or if my shock is actually a 200x57 after all

Interested as well !

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017831
Mobile Version of Website