Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jun 24, 2022 at 21:02 Quote
Not to pile on, but the one bike component I would never tell somebody to essentially "have fun and experiment" on is the brakes. Brake failure can lead to Very Bad Things, which should be plain to see.

Posted: Jun 24, 2022 at 21:13 Quote
Benlow is not wrong you can substitute many different things. Hell you can use water if you really want to.

Will you brakes eventually fail if you put the wrong fluid in them yes. Will they catastrophically fail probably not. The rubber orings and seal are what will fail and weep fluid.

Posted: Jun 24, 2022 at 21:48 Quote
Bleed kits can be found dirt cheap on the Ebay. I have one for mineral an one for dot. For the sake of £iver might as well.

Posted: Jun 25, 2022 at 1:00 Quote
I can confirm that SRAM bleed syringes (the non bleeding-edge ones) fit Shimano brakes.

Although, all you need to fully bleed your Zee brakes is the Shimano bleed funnel, which is dirt cheap. Hardware store clear hose on the caliper bleed fitting is nice to have, but not strictly necessary for a gravity bleed.

Posted: Jun 25, 2022 at 1:43 Quote
Massive thanks once again for the answers guys! I chose to not go the avocado/baby oil route and opted for the DOT and mineral oils instead. I bought both a Shimano and a Sram S2 bleed kit from Totalbleedsolutionsuk on Ebay. Got both for less than the Sram kit would’ve cost. I’m all for paying the original producer normally to cater RnD costs and to pay for originality, but ~100€ for a couple syringes is where I draw the line.

During my 10+ years of active mountain biking, bleeding brakes and shock/fork maintenance have been the only things that I’ve let the bike shops do to avoid ruining €€€ worth of parts myself. After learning to bleed my brakes, I guess there’s only learning how to service suspension left…

Posted: Jun 25, 2022 at 3:16 Quote
@Padi, if you stick with a good DOT 5.1 brake fluid you can get from any automotive factors with the SRAM you'll be good.

You can also get mineral oil based braking fluid from there as well for Shimano and the likes.

It'll save a lot of money and it's the same product at the same quality or higher.

Posted: Jun 25, 2022 at 8:39 Quote
Padi wrote:
After learning to bleed my brakes, I guess there’s only learning how to service suspension left…

Feel free to ask about suspension if you're interested! It's not too complex to learn how to at least service fork lowers and air cans.

Posted: Jun 25, 2022 at 9:40 Quote
Hi all - Installed a cane creek preload for SRAM DUB X01 cranks. The plastic ones that come standard are junk and wanted a nice upgrade since I snapped the olds ones on accident.

Anyway, I’m now running into the problem that I have too tight of a fit. I’m running a single 4.5mm spacer on the drive side (according to the sram guide), and that worked fine with the plastic preload. Now when I go to tighten it all up according to torque spec, I can’t even move the preload ring. It’s already too tight. The cranks feel very tight. Something is definitely wrong.

The preload thread was installed correctly and is fully seated on the crank itself and I have the preload wound all the way back before torquing. I have assembled and disassembled the cranks about 10 times trying to see if I’m doing something wrong but can’t figure it out.

Posted: Jun 25, 2022 at 14:00 Quote
riish wrote:
Padi wrote:
After learning to bleed my brakes, I guess there’s only learning how to service suspension left…

Feel free to ask about suspension if you're interested! It's not too complex to learn how to at least service fork lowers and air cans.

This, nuffing else!

Posted: Jun 25, 2022 at 14:09 Quote
wblack86 wrote:
Hi all - Installed a cane creek preload for SRAM DUB X01 cranks. The plastic ones that come standard are junk and wanted a nice upgrade since I snapped the olds ones on accident.

Anyway, I’m now running into the problem that I have too tight of a fit. I’m running a single 4.5mm spacer on the drive side (according to the sram guide), and that worked fine with the plastic preload. Now when I go to tighten it all up according to torque spec, I can’t even move the preload ring. It’s already too tight. The cranks feel very tight. Something is definitely wrong.

The preload thread was installed correctly and is fully seated on the crank itself and I have the preload wound all the way back before torquing. I have assembled and disassembled the cranks about 10 times trying to see if I’m doing something wrong but can’t figure it out.
It’s probably thicker than the stock one. If you have a spacer on the BB, put a smaller one in.

Also FYI the stock adjusters are plastic for a reason. They’re plastic so that when people inevitably overtighten the tiny screw the plastic strips instead of the screw head. Raceface used to use aluminum ones and people got them stuck on the cranks all the time by stripping the screw.

Posted: Jun 25, 2022 at 19:59 Quote
JohnyBoy wrote:
riish wrote:
Padi wrote:

This, nuffing else!

Just serviced the lowers on my 38 lots of easy to follow step by steps and info online for fox and rockshox forks.

Posted: Jun 25, 2022 at 21:37 Quote
Hey guys maybe you can help me...

Is this a common problem from the fox X2 shock?
Is this because oft the trunnion mount?

The shock had a full service in February this year.

Posted: Jun 26, 2022 at 2:11 Quote
Hamburgi wrote:

X2 and trunnion mount, ticking all the suspension failure bingo boxes.

But seriously - yes, the current X2's are known to have reliability problems, and the extra side loading on the seals and shaft from the trunnion mount does not help.

Posted: Jun 26, 2022 at 7:16 Quote
Hamburgi wrote:

Yep. X2's fail at the drop of a hat. Possibly the most explodey shock on the market right now.

Posted: Jun 26, 2022 at 9:17 Quote
riish wrote:
Hamburgi wrote:

X2 and trunnion mount, ticking all the suspension failure bingo boxes.

But seriously - yes, the current X2's are known to have reliability problems, and the extra side loading on the seals and shaft from the trunnion mount does not help.

I thought trunnion mount is a problem... but i cant change this at my frame...

But good to know its a Fox problem.
Is this covered under warranty or i need to pay the service everytime for that?
Or whats the solution for this, an other shock?

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018223
Mobile Version of Website