Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jun 26, 2022 at 17:17 Quote
I have a BOS Idylle Rare that is missing the two pinch bolts and insert on one side. I ordered the part from BOS a while ago but still havent recieved it and it says order processing. Anyone know if I can either find the part somewhere else or if it is okay to run without that pinch bolt? getting really annoyed and tempted to just buy a boxxer.

Posted: Jun 26, 2022 at 18:22 Quote
Are Fox 38mm and Rockshox 38mm seals interchangeable? I have a Zeb and I can only buy Fox seals from my shop. Is there a differences?

Posted: Jun 26, 2022 at 19:13 Quote
I would assume not. The tube diameter is the same but the shape of the lowers would probably be different.

I could be wrong though

Posted: Jun 26, 2022 at 20:27 Quote
andrewnelsen wrote:
I have a BOS Idylle Rare that is missing the two pinch bolts and insert on one side. I ordered the part from BOS a while ago but still havent recieved it and it says order processing. Anyone know if I can either find the part somewhere else or if it is okay to run without that pinch bolt? getting really annoyed and tempted to just buy a boxxer.

I would call around to dealers and suspension shops, they might have some available

Posted: Jun 26, 2022 at 20:32 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:
Are Fox 38mm and Rockshox 38mm seals interchangeable? I have a Zeb and I can only buy Fox seals from my shop. Is there a differences?

there is definitely a difference, im not sure exactly what, but seals arent a place you want to try the wrong part, I would try and see if other shops have them, and if not, the internet is youre friend.

Thats the part number from SRAM for the seal kit, googling that should find something, QBP doesnt have any so shops cant order them, they were supposed to be in stock in the beginning of the month, but supply has been pretty shitty so its something that you just gotta wait for and hope for the best. SRAM doesnt expect them to arrive until 8/2

https://thelostco.com/products/rockshox-38mm-dust-wiper-kit

Looks like these guys have them, ready to ship ^^

Posted: Jun 27, 2022 at 17:05 Quote
tbeezle wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:

there is definitely a difference, im not sure exactly what, but seals arent a place you want to try the wrong part, I would try and see if other shops have them, and if not, the internet is youre friend.

Thats the part number from SRAM for the seal kit, googling that should find something, QBP doesnt have any so shops cant order them, they were supposed to be in stock in the beginning of the month, but supply has been pretty shitty so its something that you just gotta wait for and hope for the best. SRAM doesnt expect them to arrive until 8/2

https://thelostco.com/products/rockshox-38mm-dust-wiper-kit

Looks like these guys have them, ready to ship ^^

I’ve been using the skf seals, qbp has them in stock usually and they are honestly better. I don’t do many 38 stanchions just cause where we are but the 36 and smaller are mostly in stock

Posted: Jun 27, 2022 at 17:16 Quote
I have a GRX derailleur on my gravel bike and somehow hit it on something. It works fine now, but the part labelled 12 on this diagram is a bit bent at the end (the end going down), does anyone have any idea if this will come back to bite me later?

Posted: Jun 27, 2022 at 17:31 Quote
watch123 wrote:
I have a GRX derailleur on my gravel bike and somehow hit it on something. It works fine now, but the part labelled 12 on this diagram is a bit bent at the end (the end going down), does anyone have any idea if this will come back to bite me later?

Not entirely sure I understand what’s bent. You got a picture of it? I usually tell people that if it doesn’t shift right it should be replaced so as long as it’s shifting fine you should be fine. Not really much that can come back to bite you as you’d either be replacing the derailleur then or replacing now and it won’t cause anymore damage to not do it now. A picture is always helpful as all I’ve said could be completely false in relation to your issue.

Posted: Jun 27, 2022 at 17:45 Quote
watch123 wrote:

12 is a "cover with tongue", like a seal where the shift cable goes through? It could bind on the cable, but if it's fine I'd order one and ride on.

Posted: Jun 27, 2022 at 17:53 Quote
I mean if it’s severely bent And the cable is kinking there then I’d replace it but if that isn’t happening and if shifts smooth then don’t worry about it.

Posted: Jun 27, 2022 at 19:38 Quote
Ok, perfect, thanks all. Sadly I don't have a photo of it handy (at least not separate from the derailleur), as I got it all tuned back up.

Posted: Jun 27, 2022 at 20:46 Quote
I bought a 2022 Commencal Meta TR signature and I'm upgrading the brakes to TRP DHR Evos. The stock brakes are Shimano Deore XT M8100's and it has a KS Lev Southpaw dropper lever. The dropper lever is mounted directly to the brakes. How can I mount the dropper lever onto my TRP brakes? I found an adapter for the shifter but cant find info on the lever...

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 6:09 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:

Yes they are interchangable.

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 9:19 Quote
I want to patch/boot a hole in a tyre (Maxxis Dissector, running tubeless). The tubeless plug popped out today so it'll need a more permanent fix on the inside. The Park boot patches are kind of expensive in the UK (£5 for 3), and there is a GMBN vid with Doddy talking about a more general repair pack where you can cut out the size you need and glue it on. I'm failing on google so what kind of rubber do I need to buy a roll of? I'll use it with Shoe Gloo (a strong vulcanising solution) to patch the inside of the tyre.

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 9:52 Quote
I have a raceface next wheel - with a RF vault hub - it was riding fine for about 100 miles when it started making a loud popping sound while pedaling hard, long story short I pulled the free hub body and 2 of the 6 pawls were cracked. I replaced the busted pawl wheel with another wheel, which also has a vault hub, from my backup bike. Swapped the cassette from busted wheel to the backup wheel. Took the backup wheel for a shake down ride, and after 45 minutes, new hub starts making cracking sound, I pull the free hub body and there’s a busted pawl! Wtf is going on here?! Obviously something is set up wrong, all I could think is that the free hub body is isn’t staying fully meshed inside the hub body, putting some shear force on the pawls? But how could that happen if the axle is fully tight?

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013048
Mobile Version of Website