Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 9:55 Quote
DaveWyatt wrote:
I want to patch/boot a hole in a tyre (Maxxis Dissector, running tubeless). The tubeless plug popped out today so it'll need a more permanent fix on the inside. The Park boot patches are kind of expensive in the UK (£5 for 3), and there is a GMBN vid with Doddy talking about a more general repair pack where you can cut out the size you need and glue it on. I'm failing on google so what kind of rubber do I need to buy a roll of? I'll use it with Shoe Gloo (a strong vulcanising solution) to patch the inside of the tyre.

I have had good luck using car/motorcycle patches from the automotive store. You may have to cut the patch a bit to fit but it held and sealed up the tire.

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 9:57 Quote
Heavyliberty wrote:
I have a raceface next wheel - with a RF vault hub - it was riding fine for about 100 miles when it started making a loud popping sound while pedaling hard, long story short I pulled the free hub body and 2 of the 6 pawls were cracked. I replaced the busted pawl wheel with another wheel, which also has a vault hub, from my backup bike. Swapped the cassette from busted wheel to the backup wheel. Took the backup wheel for a shake down ride, and after 45 minutes, new hub starts making cracking sound, I pull the free hub body and there’s a busted pawl! Wtf is going on here?! Obviously something is set up wrong, all I could think is that the free hub body is isn’t staying fully meshed inside the hub body, putting some shear force on the pawls? But how could that happen if the axle is fully tight?

worn bearings could be it. I now a few of my buddies ride those hubs and they have required a fair amount of maintenance to keep them riding well.

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 10:04 Quote
MTBsnow wrote:
I bought a 2022 Commencal Meta TR signature and I'm upgrading the brakes to TRP DHR Evos. The stock brakes are Shimano Deore XT M8100's and it has a KS Lev Southpaw dropper lever. The dropper lever is mounted directly to the brakes. How can I mount the dropper lever onto my TRP brakes? I found an adapter for the shifter but cant find info on the lever...

The drop lever looks like it fits SRAM matchmaker, so choose the LH version of that on TRP that fits your brake.

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 10:28 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
DaveWyatt wrote:
I want to patch/boot a hole in a tyre (Maxxis Dissector, running tubeless). The tubeless plug popped out today so it'll need a more permanent fix on the inside. The Park boot patches are kind of expensive in the UK (£5 for 3), and there is a GMBN vid with Doddy talking about a more general repair pack where you can cut out the size you need and glue it on. I'm failing on google so what kind of rubber do I need to buy a roll of? I'll use it with Shoe Gloo (a strong vulcanising solution) to patch the inside of the tyre.

I have had good luck using car/motorcycle patches from the automotive store. You may have to cut the patch a bit to fit but it held and sealed up the tire.

^^^ This.

Pretty much anything will work (back in the day of tubes, I've used old train tickets trapped between tyre and tube to block relatively large holes for a good few weeks, so literally *anything* will do in an emergency). So yeah, don't stress too much abut getting the perfect rubber. Car/motorcycle tyre patches are perfect, cheap and easily available.

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 11:38 Quote
Thanks all, I'll go buy some auto patches and give them a shot

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 14:56 Quote
DaveWyatt wrote:

I’ve heard of people using an old tube to cut patches out of that. Make sure you have a good rubber cement and sand both surfaces before applying cement. Let it set up a few minutes and then (if possible without damaging your new patch) put the tire on the rim and pump it up towards the higher end of its upper limit. The air pressure will help press the patch on and create a better seal.

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 15:19 Quote
I'm looking to change the fork offset on a Marzocci Z1 Bomber. It looks like I can use a Fox 36 CSU, but require a different air spring since the stanchions on the Z1 are thicker (different alloy).

My question is, does a Grip damper from the Z1 fit into the fox 35 stanchions? It seems like it should since there is more space available, but I couldn't find a definitive answer anywhere.

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 15:21 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:
DaveWyatt wrote:

^^^ This.

Pretty much anything will work (back in the day of tubes, I've used old train tickets trapped between tyre and tube to block relatively large holes for a good few weeks, so literally *anything* will do in an emergency). So yeah, don't stress too much abut getting the perfect rubber. Car/motorcycle tyre patches are perfect, cheap and easily available.

I used a folder up dollar bill for this about 8 weeks ago on my road bike.

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 18:17 Quote
mtb-thetown wrote:
I'm looking to change the fork offset on a Marzocci Z1 Bomber. It looks like I can use a Fox 36 CSU, but require a different air spring since the stanchions on the Z1 are thicker (different alloy).

My question is, does a Grip damper from the Z1 fit into the fox 35 stanchions? It seems like it should since there is more space available, but I couldn't find a definitive answer anywhere.

I assume you mean 36 there.

Yes a z1 grip damper goes into a 36 no worries.

For the air spring you can use the old one as long as the CSU you buy is a 36 rythym CSU not a normal 36 csu...

example:

820-12-118-KIT Service Set: 2019 36 Rhythm, 15x110QR, Black Ano UT, 11mm OS, Shiny Black, CSU (44
Rake)

OR

820-12-119-KIT Service Set: 2019 36 Rhythm, 15x110QR, Black Ano UT, 18mm OS, Matte Black, CSU (51 Rake)

Notice the rake is different an the finish of the crown. matte vs shiny black..

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 20:51 Quote
DaveWyatt wrote:

Just go buy an auto tire patch kit from your local auto parts store - patches can be as big as 2"x3". Cut to a suitable size and go to town vulcanizing that puppy inside your bike tire.

edit: I see a bunch of other guys suggested the same thing.

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 21:20 Quote
I posted on here a while back asking about Shimano axle compatibility between hubs, ended up just buying the parts to see if they fit.

Pleased to report that a SLX axle fits an XT hub (on the new 12-speed micro spline hubs), and that the lower-end hubs are now coming with the XTR distance spacer instead, which should last longer before wearing out and causing the hub to creak.

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 7:17 Quote
riish wrote:
I posted on here a while back asking about Shimano axle compatibility between hubs, ended up just buying the parts to see if they fit.

Pleased to report that a SLX axle fits an XT hub (on the new 12-speed micro spline hubs), and that the lower-end hubs are now coming with the XTR distance spacer instead, which should last longer before wearing out and causing the hub to creak.

Nice yeah man.

On my front xtr hub it just shit the bed. One set of bearings turned red from wet ride days. Nearly destroyed the race on the hub shell

Swapped out to all new XT front hub parts and all good!

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 8:00 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
LuisCT wrote:
Anyone know why the ifp on my durolux r2c2 is binding? Has anyone else had this problem? Opened it up and foubd that it is just the piston being too tight; does anyone know of a fix? Is there anywhere I can buy just the piston? I have been looking on the internet and I can only see full cartridges rather than parts… Any help is welcome.

Send an email to Suntour or you may need to send it in to a warranty center.

I ended up just taking it into my own habds, took the piston seals appart and reducing the outer diameter slightly until it wouldn’t bind; nectx problem I have is a snapped conoression shim but that doesnt really stop the fork working and compression feals nice so i dont feels like messing with it anymore.

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 8:07 Quote
nubbs wrote:
mtb-thetown wrote:

I assume you mean 36 there.

Yes a z1 grip damper goes into a 36 no worries.

For the air spring you can use the old one as long as the CSU you buy is a 36 rythym CSU not a normal 36 csu...

example:

820-12-118-KIT Service Set: 2019 36 Rhythm, 15x110QR, Black Ano UT, 11mm OS, Shiny Black, CSU (44
Rake)

OR

820-12-119-KIT Service Set: 2019 36 Rhythm, 15x110QR, Black Ano UT, 18mm OS, Matte Black, CSU (51 Rake)

Notice the rake is different an the finish of the crown. matte vs shiny black..

Thanks! Yes I meant a 36, but I want to try a 37mm offset, which you can't get the rhythm csu in unfortunately.

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 8:16 Quote
Just wanted to let it be known that putoline hpx 2.5 oil works wonders on shimano brakes: I was suffering horrible wandering bite-point, tried bleeding a thousand times and it did not change anything, found some other fixes, such as overfilling the brakes so as to pressurize them therefore not allowing the bite point to move outwards. Or completely limiting the piston through the servowave mechanism underneath (with zipties and such) this one greatly reduces the amount of fluid inside the brake sistem therefore you will have to bleed them to compensate for brake pads thinning.

To introduce putoline into your brakes bleed them a couple times, dont wash out the older fluid by “letting it rip” and fully opening the brakes just fully bleed them with putoline as normal, as you use them and periodically bleed them you will clense the brakes of old mineral oil in them. In my experience putoline completely fixed wandering bite-point.

Active Forum Threads
0 mins ago - DVO appreciation and support thread (AKA the Ced Thread) - Pics, ride reports and discussion
3 mins ago - Official Vernon Riders Thread
5 mins ago - Where can I watch les gets World championships 2022?
8 mins ago - Banshee Titan Owners
12 mins ago - Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
32 mins ago - Transition Spur
1 hours ago - 100 (or more) days of biking in 2022!
1 hours ago - Stained wood vs Treated?
1 hours ago - BOSCH Kiox 300 3d printed display mount
1 hours ago - Bearing Eyelet Tool Warning
2 hours ago - Lost Love Spells to Bring Back Lost Love WhatsApp ((+27 838 581 581))
2 hours ago - Spiritually Empowered Lottery Spells WhatsApp ((+27 838 581 581))
2 hours ago - Death Revenge Spells WhatsApp ((+27 838 581 581))
2 hours ago - Powerful Revenge Spells That Work Overnight | Instant Death Spells WhatsApp ((+27 838 581 581))
2 hours ago - Does a 'stiff', 1.125", long-travel 32 mm stanchion fork exist?
2 hours ago - UK parts manufacturers?
2 hours ago - Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
2 hours ago - Best Online Love Spell Caster | Love Spells That Work for Real WhatsApp ((+27 838 581 581))
2 hours ago - ((+27723039124)) NO 1 Worldwide Extreme Lost love Spells Caster / Spiritual Healer in Durban-Worcester/Phoenix-Richards Bay.
2 hours ago - Most Powerful Voodoo Revenge Spells to Destroy Enemy WhatsApp ((+27 838 581 581))
2 hours ago - Lost Love Spells to Bring Back a Lover WhatsApp ((+27 838 581 581))
2 hours ago - Biking in Barcelona?
3 hours ago - Evil Owners Club
3 hours ago - Elite/expert racers of pinkbike...what is your mindset when racing. How fast are you going?
3 hours ago - Best Psychic Mediums (325) 273 8255 Love Spells in Billings, MT Marriage/Divorce Bring back lost lover obsession spell

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013922
Mobile Version of Website