Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jul 1, 2022 at 18:57 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:
I would put at least 2 volume spacers.

Why the tokens ?

Posted: Jul 1, 2022 at 19:08 Quote
Definitely less rebound will help with making things more comfortable, as with full open it's returning too fast.

Posted: Jul 1, 2022 at 19:31 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
melanthius wrote:
I’d still try running less rebound. With no tokens you don’t need to deal with as much stored energy coming from bottom out so you should have more room to play with faster rebound before pogo from big hits becomes an issue.

Okay thanks for the advice

Start opening your rebound up till you feel you're loosing the front, definently on the slow side. Packing happens mostly on small hits around sag point were spring force is too low to overcome the rebound comp fast enough,

Posted: Jul 1, 2022 at 19:43 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
melanthius wrote:
I’d still try running less rebound. With no tokens you don’t need to deal with as much stored energy coming from bottom out so you should have more room to play with faster rebound before pogo from big hits becomes an issue.

Okay thanks for the advice

Start opening your rebound up till you feel you're loosing the front, definently on the slow side. Packing happens mostly on small hits around sag point were spring force is too low to overcome the rebound comp fast enough,

I added a couple clicks I’m going back to the bike park tomorrow to test and see how it feels

Posted: Jul 1, 2022 at 22:52 Quote
gspottickles918 wrote:
Nobble wrote:
What do people like for tubeless tape these days?

I’ve always used gorilla tape and lived with the sticky residue, but I’m kind of tired of changing the tape after every tire.

My favorite so far has been DT’s tape. Durable and easy to work with. Been through multiple tire changes with everything still looking perfect.

+1 for DT swiss tape. It seems stickier than Stan's and therefore easier to set up. Seems a bit tougher too

Posted: Jul 2, 2022 at 2:54 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
I also have a ZEB question I have a 2021 ZEB ultimate and I’m running the LSC and HSC at full open running rebound at 3 clicks from closed and running 25 percent sag and I’m getting some really harsh feed back into my hands and I can’t figure out what’s going on does anyone have any ideas ?
I would make it 30% sag and put an extra volume spacer in. Also when did you get the fork?

I'd do the exact opposite. Fewer volume tokens (if you have any in there) and less sag. But really any suggestions are no better than a guess without a lot more info

Posted: Jul 2, 2022 at 8:04 Quote
Nobble wrote:

I’ve always used gorilla tape and lived with the sticky residue, but I’m kind of tired of changing the tape after every tire.

Gorilla tape has its advantages if the bead to rim interface isn't tight enough.
Gorilla tape adds a little friction and increases the diameter of the rim interior a little bit.

I've also had great luck with this tape used to join tyvek in house construction.
It's stretchy sticky and cheap.
3M 8087 Red Construction Seaming Tape, 1.875" width x 5yd length (1 roll) https://a.co/d/2h2OFi4

Posted: Jul 2, 2022 at 9:40 Quote
leftypumpkin wrote:
gotohe11carolina wrote:
Nobble wrote:

Tesa strapping tape. It’s the same stuff as Stan’s and i9 use

Do you happen to have a model# for the Tesa stuff - seems to be a few different types of Tesa strapping tape.

Thanks.
4288 or 89 series. It comes in various widths and both cream and black. There are any number of other strapping tapers that work though

Posted: Jul 2, 2022 at 10:13 Quote
I needed it quickly and the LBS only had skinny stans tape so I went the gorilla route.

I might try ordering a big roll of strapping tape next time.

Posted: Jul 2, 2022 at 17:15 Quote
gotohe11carolina wrote:
leftypumpkin wrote:
gotohe11carolina wrote:

Tesa strapping tape. It’s the same stuff as Stan’s and i9 use

Do you happen to have a model# for the Tesa stuff - seems to be a few different types of Tesa strapping tape.

Thanks.
4288 or 89 series. It comes in various widths and both cream and black. There are any number of other strapping tapers that work though

Thanks, found it on uline but have to order either 6 or a dozen rolls, but I know what you are talking about now.

Posted: Jul 2, 2022 at 17:25 Quote
cyberoptixsla wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:

Why the tokens ?
Because tokens are the best. I run less pressure with more tokens and it works like a dream.

Posted: Jul 2, 2022 at 17:45 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:
cyberoptixsla wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:

Why the tokens ?
Because tokens are the best. I run less pressure with more tokens and it works like a dream.

i will give it a try... thanks for all the responses it was the rebound that was messing up my fork

Posted: Jul 2, 2022 at 17:54 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:
cyberoptixsla wrote:

Why the tokens ?

i will give it a try... thanks for all the responses it was the rebound that was messing up my fork

If you run your rebound too slow the fork will pack up with repeated impacts, which can contribute to a harsh feeling. set your rebound as fast as you can have it without it bucking you.

Posted: Jul 2, 2022 at 17:57 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:

If you run your rebound too slow the fork will pack up with repeated impacts, which can contribute to a harsh feeling. set your rebound as fast as you can have it without it bucking you.

i have it set 5 clicks from full closed and it feels pretty good, i had it at 6 and it started to feel a little crazy lol

Posted: Jul 3, 2022 at 4:08 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:
cyberoptixsla wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:

Why the tokens ?

This is the current trend yes, but 90% of the time it makes your suspension worse. Most people are running too much sag with too many tokens in order to avoid all the harsh bottom outs. This leads to a total lack of midstroke support, and a fork that just can't keep up as soon as the riding gets at all aggressive.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012763
Mobile Version of Website