Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jul 3, 2022 at 21:36 Quote
TimMog wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

Yup it’s the sound of the oil passing threw the transfer port
Will the sound get quieter after riding it for a bit. You know as the oil drys?

The oil isn't going to dry, and nor do you want it to. No oil means no lubrication, and no damping.

Damper noise is totally normal and you barely hear it when riding anyway. Some dampers make more noise than others, my EXT shock makes way more noise than my old Cane Creek but it definitely works 10 times better
Ok because I just rebuilt my Zeb and it's making so much noise. But, you're probably right you won't hear it that much on the bike with all the other sounds.

O+
Posted: Jul 3, 2022 at 21:45 Quote
Or you just did it incorrectly. my zeb is dead silent.

Posted: Jul 3, 2022 at 22:08 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:
TimMog wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:
Will the sound get quieter after riding it for a bit. You know as the oil drys?

The oil isn't going to dry, and nor do you want it to. No oil means no lubrication, and no damping.

Damper noise is totally normal and you barely hear it when riding anyway. Some dampers make more noise than others, my EXT shock makes way more noise than my old Cane Creek but it definitely works 10 times better
Ok because I just rebuilt my Zeb and it's making so much noise. But, you're probably right you won't hear it that much on the bike with all the other sounds.

Rebuilt how just a lower and air spring service or did you open up the damper?

If it’s just the lowers/air spring you probably have fluid/grease in the transfer port on the negative spring. Take it for a a few rides and the sound should go away.

If you opened up the damper you probably have air in it and will need to get that out as it will cause inconsistent damping issues.

Posted: Jul 3, 2022 at 22:11 Quote
newbermuda wrote:

Posted: Jul 3, 2022 at 22:51 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
Do you have a 2023 Zeb? If it's a 2022 or 2021 something is not lubed enough because it should make some noise.

Posted: Jul 3, 2022 at 22:53 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:
TimMog wrote:

Rebuilt how just a lower and air spring service or did you open up the damper?

If it’s just the lowers/air spring you probably have fluid/grease in the transfer port on the negative spring. Take it for a a few rides and the sound should go away.

If you opened up the damper you probably have air in it and will need to get that out as it will cause inconsistent damping issues.
I just did a lower leg service. But I do remember it making a lot of noise on the first couple rides when it was new. Then it went away. Just wanna make sure I didn't f anything up.

Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 8:48 Quote
M0rd4c4i wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
aks2017 wrote:
Alright folks- got a hypothetical-ish question here.

2016 Scott Scale, alloy frame. Max chainring stated is 36T for a 1x setup. If I wanted to run a double, would that push the chainring out any farther to be able to run a larger chainring?

Debating a budget-conscious gravel conversion.

Thanks all!

Yes, fitting a double should push the larger chain ring out further, allowing more clearance for a bigger ring. If you plan on running a road crank, this may bring the chainrings a little closer in, so I'd recommend a test fit before any final decisions are made, if possible.

It's worth noting that even endurance xc riders are running single ring setups these days, and for good reason. The number of dropped chains you get off road with a double ring up front really is prohibitively regular. It gets really f*cking annoying, really quickly, lol,

Never mind what can get wedged in the front derailiuer and mess it up in style.

1× is just simple, effective and less to go wrong.

I feel like people here are over dramatizing how bad running a 2x on a gravel bike is. If you're just going to be going along some gravel roads and light trails, it'll most likely be just fine, assuming it's tuned correctly.

There is a reason they have more or less disappeared from MTBs, but there is similarly a reason they are featured on gravel bikes (to an extent, I'd say maybe a 60/40 split between 2x/1x for gravel), in that they can offer a low gear while still maintaining minimal gaps between gears to maintain a (near) constant cadence depending on speed (I'm sure there are others, but that's the main one imo).

But to answer the original question, there are versions of that bike that were originally sold with a 2x, so you should be fine (but try it out as others have said).

Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 10:08 Quote
Hi everyone, quick question:

Can an aluminium shim that has ended up bonded into a carbon frame (won't budge at all), cause loud creaking when applying pressure to my saddle?

I'm inclined to think not, but I might just be biased as I'd prefer to just let the shim be.

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 10:15 Quote
Danquo wrote:

Can an aluminium shim that has ended up bonded into a carbon frame (won't budge at all), cause loud creaking when applying pressure to my saddle?

I'm inclined to think not, but I might just be biased as I'd prefer to just let the shim be.

Definitely possible, even likely if the saddle rocking causes a creak

Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 10:39 Quote
The only noise my zeb makes is the air and the 5ml of oil in the airspring side passing threw the transfer port. When I had my luftkappe in it exaggerated the noise and it sounded like a turbo blow off valve.

Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 10:50 Quote
mtb-thetown wrote:
Danquo wrote:

Definitely possible, even likely if the saddle rocking causes a creak

Cheers, I've just had a look in the seat tube with a torch and noticed loads of dirt in the little groove in the shim, clearing that out seems to have removed the noise. It wasn't visible without properly shining a light down there so I just assumed it was clear, you learn something new every day.

Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 13:43 Quote
watch123 wrote:
M0rd4c4i wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:

Yes, fitting a double should push the larger chain ring out further, allowing more clearance for a bigger ring. If you plan on running a road crank, this may bring the chainrings a little closer in, so I'd recommend a test fit before any final decisions are made, if possible.

It's worth noting that even endurance xc riders are running single ring setups these days, and for good reason. The number of dropped chains you get off road with a double ring up front really is prohibitively regular. It gets really f*cking annoying, really quickly, lol,

Never mind what can get wedged in the front derailiuer and mess it up in style.

1× is just simple, effective and less to go wrong.

I feel like people here are over dramatizing how bad running a 2x on a gravel bike is. If you're just going to be going along some gravel roads and light trails, it'll most likely be just fine, assuming it's tuned correctly.

There is a reason they have more or less disappeared from MTBs, but there is similarly a reason they are featured on gravel bikes (to an extent, I'd say maybe a 60/40 split between 2x/1x for gravel), in that they can offer a low gear while still maintaining minimal gaps between gears to maintain a (near) constant cadence depending on speed (I'm sure there are others, but that's the main one imo).

But to answer the original question, there are versions of that bike that were originally sold with a 2x, so you should be fine (but try it out as others have said).

It’s over dramatized for sure. I’m still using 2x on my main trail bike and I rarely if ever get any derailed chains. I have super wide range, (20-32 x 10-42 11 speed) and virtually no issues with it.

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 18:25 Quote
Kinda strange question but;

I have a “new” shock pump that came with a shock. its a high pressure one, can handle up to 600psi. I was attempting to use it a few days ago and the part that screws onto the shock valve became dislodged from the air hose. I tried to refit it but it comes unstuck around 300psi. Is there anything i can do to try and repair this thing myself or do i just fork over for a different one?

Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 18:48 Quote
newbermuda wrote:

I have a “new” shock pump that came with a shock. its a high pressure one, can handle up to 600psi. I was attempting to use it a few days ago and the part that screws onto the shock valve became dislodged from the air hose. I tried to refit it but it comes unstuck around 300psi. Is there anything i can do to try and repair this thing myself or do i just fork over for a different one?

I have no actual answer for you (I mean, I think you need a new shock pump, but I'd wait for someone with more experience to weigh in), but is it for a pull shock? On a Scott Genius (early 2010 era)?

Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 18:54 Quote
newbermuda wrote:

Likely will be a replacement hose type situation.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013825
Mobile Version of Website