Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Author Message
O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 19:06 Quote
watch123 wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
Kinda strange question but;

I have a “new” shock pump that came with a shock. its a high pressure one, can handle up to 600psi. I was attempting to use it a few days ago and the part that screws onto the shock valve became dislodged from the air hose. I tried to refit it but it comes unstuck around 300psi. Is there anything i can do to try and repair this thing myself or do i just fork over for a different one?

I have no actual answer for you (I mean, I think you need a new shock pump, but I'd wait for someone with more experience to weigh in), but is it for a pull shock? On a Scott Genius (early 2010 era)?

Its for an Intend hover.

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 9:08 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
watch123 wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
Kinda strange question but;

I have a “new” shock pump that came with a shock. its a high pressure one, can handle up to 600psi. I was attempting to use it a few days ago and the part that screws onto the shock valve became dislodged from the air hose. I tried to refit it but it comes unstuck around 300psi. Is there anything i can do to try and repair this thing myself or do i just fork over for a different one?

I have no actual answer for you (I mean, I think you need a new shock pump, but I'd wait for someone with more experience to weigh in), but is it for a pull shock? On a Scott Genius (early 2010 era)?

Its for an Intend hover.

Is it within warranty? If not, you just need to buy a replacement hose. They generally aren't crazy expensive

O+
Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 9:27 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
watch123 wrote:


I have no actual answer for you (I mean, I think you need a new shock pump, but I'd wait for someone with more experience to weigh in), but is it for a pull shock? On a Scott Genius (early 2010 era)?

Its for an Intend hover.

Is it within warranty? If not, you just need to buy a replacement hose. They generally aren't crazy expensive

The shock is but i dont really want to go through the hassle of warranty for a shock pump, i just want to use my shock lol. Might just try and buy a new one locally and warranty the other one so if one breaks then at least i have another.

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 10:11 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
newbermuda wrote:


Its for an Intend hover.

Is it within warranty? If not, you just need to buy a replacement hose. They generally aren't crazy expensive

The shock is but i dont really want to go through the hassle of warranty for a shock pump, i just want to use my shock lol. Might just try and buy a new one locally and warranty the other one so if one breaks then at least i have another.

The rockshox 600 psi pumps are pretty good.

O+
Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 10:28 Quote
nubbs wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:


Is it within warranty? If not, you just need to buy a replacement hose. They generally aren't crazy expensive

The shock is but i dont really want to go through the hassle of warranty for a shock pump, i just want to use my shock lol. Might just try and buy a new one locally and warranty the other one so if one breaks then at least i have another.

The rockshox 600 psi pumps are pretty good.

On Amazon you can get a digital pump from Venzo that when compared with the Fox and Rockshox pumps, it's obvious they all come from the same factory. But Venzo is like 50% cheaper

O+
Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 10:31 Quote
mtb-thetown wrote:
nubbs wrote:
newbermuda wrote:


The shock is but i dont really want to go through the hassle of warranty for a shock pump, i just want to use my shock lol. Might just try and buy a new one locally and warranty the other one so if one breaks then at least i have another.

The rockshox 600 psi pumps are pretty good.

On Amazon you can get a digital pump from Venzo that when compared with the Fox and Rockshox pumps, it's obvious they all come from the same factory. But Venzo is like 50% cheaper

thats what i have that broke lmao

O+
Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 12:08 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
mtb-thetown wrote:
nubbs wrote:


The rockshox 600 psi pumps are pretty good.

On Amazon you can get a digital pump from Venzo that when compared with the Fox and Rockshox pumps, it's obvious they all come from the same factory. But Venzo is like 50% cheaper

thats what i have that broke lmao

Interesting. The digital one from Venzo, or the one with a dial? I don't know anything about their dialled pump but it looks completely different from the digital one.

I won't discourage spending a few extra bucks for peace of mind though

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 17:13 Quote
Hi All,

I’ve really been struggling with my SRAM Code RS brakes for an entire season now. They just… suck. They are loud under heavy braking (they almost sound like the pad is entirely worn down sometimes) & have poor stopping power. I’ve tried swapping pads multiple times while also ensuring I’m bedding the brakes appropriately (thinking maybe they were contaminated), multiple bleeds, still no luck.

The final thing I was going to try before changing to new brakes entirely was upgrading from the stock centerline rotors to the HS2 rotors. Aside from that, any other things worth checking out before giving up entirely?

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 18:18 Quote
What’s the issue you have with them? Power? The feel of the brake? The noise? Which pads are you using? Personally not really a huge fan of sram brakes, but the code line isn’t terrible though it is very debated. Also, are you used to another brake since all brakes feel super different and the brakes may feel fine, it’s just different than a Shimano or something.

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 19:29 Quote
BryanBobo wrote:
Hi All,

I’ve really been struggling with my SRAM Code RS brakes for an entire season now. They just… suck. They are loud under heavy braking (they almost sound like the pad is entirely worn down sometimes) & have poor stopping power. I’ve tried swapping pads multiple times while also ensuring I’m bedding the brakes appropriately (thinking maybe they were contaminated), multiple bleeds, still no luck.

The final thing I was going to try before changing to new brakes entirely was upgrading from the stock centerline rotors to the HS2 rotors. Aside from that, any other things worth checking out before giving up entirely?

Might be contaminated rotors... I would have tried new rotors after the first pad swap didn't fix it. And bleeding won't help if the pistons are already moving smoothly and lever isn't spongy.

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 19:42 Quote
kiranseligman wrote:
What’s the issue you have with them? Power? The feel of the brake? The noise? Which pads are you using? Personally not really a huge fan of sram brakes, but the code line isn’t terrible though it is very debated. Also, are you used to another brake since all brakes feel super different and the brakes may feel fine, it’s just different than a Shimano or something.

I definitely prefer Shimano but current bike came with sram and trying to make them work. My main issues are noise and poor stopping power. I can’t even get the front end to lock up when doing an endo, etc. I know sram generally has more modulation than the on/off nature of Shimano. But I don’t ever remember any of my past srams being this bad.

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 19:43 Quote
bishopsmike wrote:
BryanBobo wrote:
Hi All,

I’ve really been struggling with my SRAM Code RS brakes for an entire season now. They just… suck. They are loud under heavy braking (they almost sound like the pad is entirely worn down sometimes) & have poor stopping power. I’ve tried swapping pads multiple times while also ensuring I’m bedding the brakes appropriately (thinking maybe they were contaminated), multiple bleeds, still no luck.

The final thing I was going to try before changing to new brakes entirely was upgrading from the stock centerline rotors to the HS2 rotors. Aside from that, any other things worth checking out before giving up entirely?

Might be contaminated rotors... I would have tried new rotors after the first pad swap didn't fix it. And bleeding won't help if the pistons are already moving smoothly and lever isn't spongy.

I did clean the rotor during the pad swap with IPA. Think that would take care of contaminants or other methods you’d consider for rotors.

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 19:54 Quote
BryanBobo wrote:
kiranseligman wrote:
What’s the issue you have with them? Power? The feel of the brake? The noise? Which pads are you using? Personally not really a huge fan of sram brakes, but the code line isn’t terrible though it is very debated. Also, are you used to another brake since all brakes feel super different and the brakes may feel fine, it’s just different than a Shimano or something.

I definitely prefer Shimano but current bike came with sram and trying to make them work. My main issues are noise and poor stopping power. I can’t even get the front end to lock up when doing an endo, etc. I know sram generally has more modulation than the on/off nature of Shimano. But I don’t ever remember any of my past srams being this bad.

I’ve found metal pads or even like an aftermarket pad such as the galfer ones help a decent bit. It is also a difference in Shimano and sram for sure. Shimano will lock up, like an on and off. Sram will modulate and not lock up as easy as the Shimano one will.

O+
Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 21:28 Quote
I would try MTX pads in code RS brakes. I have some gold ones in a set of g2s that were terrible before, but with the golds they have plenty of bite and a huge improvement in power. Highly recommended.


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014151
Mobile Version of Website