Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 0:41 Quote
Garradmiller wrote:
Can try to move it outboard but wouldn’t be sure if I’m straightening or bending it.
No cable tension meaning no cable attached, will check cassette ibut pretty certain it’s correct

Have you got a chain fitted? Some frame designs will foul on some mechs, if the chain isn't in place to pull the lower cage away from the various bits of dropout.

Some frames foul on some mechs even with a chain fitted. Often the only way to create clearance in this instance is to add b-tension. This is to be avoided where possible though, as it will reduce the accuracy of your shifting.

First thing to work out is what is coming into contact with what, that is stopping the mech from being able to move as far outboard as it needs to. A photo of which parts are touching may be useful.

O+
Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 7:31 Quote
With a chain on or without. The mech itself stops moving to the right before it’s far enough to the right, the h screw is above the stop and not doing anything.

Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 7:51 Quote
Garradmiller wrote:
With a chain on or without. The mech itself stops moving to the right before it’s far enough to the right, the h screw is above the stop and not doing anything.

Can you see whats stopping it moving any further outboard? Something must be hitting something. It could even be an internal part of the mech hitting another internal part of the mech (ie, its not fouling on the frame) but something is stopping it moving. First thing to do is work out what that something is, then work out how to rectify it.

O+
Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 8:25 Quote
Don’t they all stop moving mechanically in both directions by design? Looks to be functioning normally and not binding or hitting anything.

Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 9:05 Quote
Hi There!

Is it possible to adjust the chaintension on a Sram GX AXS derailleur? (There is a lot of chainslap)

Thanks!

Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 9:54 Quote
kees wrote:
Hi There!

Is it possible to adjust the chaintension on a Sram GX AXS derailleur? (There is a lot of chainslap)

Thanks!

No, you can't adjust the new SRAM derailleur clutches it appears (I thought you couldn't adjust any of them, but it appears gen 1/2 were adjustable, but gen 3 isn't). It seems like someone encountered a similar issue part way down this thread (for a different derailleur, but same problem).

As for the other derailleur problem in this thread... Maybe a photo or two would help?

Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 11:15 Quote
Garradmiller wrote:
Don’t they all stop moving mechanically in both directions by design? Looks to be functioning normally and not binding or hitting anything.

Yes, thats what I meant by an internal part of the mech hitting another internal part of the mech. Something has to contact something to stop the mech moving any further. The first step to solving your issue, is to get eyes on what is limiting the movement of the mech. Step two is working out what to do about it. But first off we need to know whats hitting what.

Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 12:29 Quote
Garradmiller wrote:
Have a brand new Devinci Troy frame.
New gx eagle 10-52

With no cable tension and the h screw no longer making contact I still can’t get the jockey wheel to align underneath my smallest cog. What am I missing? should have more than enough adjustment to get to an beyond the 10t

My guess is the cassette is not installed all the way. If you think the derailleur and hanger are fine, it must be the cassette's location.

Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 18:57 Quote
Hey there,

I am currently looking to replace the berings in the front hub of my slayer c70 2019.
Rocky manufactures this hub and i cant seem to figure out which berings i need to order in.
please let me know if you may have any info the hub is called (Rocky Mountain Sealed Boost 15mm
Rear Hub) on the rocky website.

Thanks,
Oscar.

O+
Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 20:40 Quote
The cassette was not all the way tight, snugged it up and problem solved.

Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 22:25 Quote
kees wrote:
Hi There!

Thanks!

No adjusting on that one.

Once you're getting chain slap you either warranty the derailleur or buy another one.

Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 22:53 Quote
Oscar-C-MTC wrote:
Hey there,

I am currently looking to replace the berings in the front hub of my slayer c70 2019.
Rocky manufactures this hub and i cant seem to figure out which berings i need to order in.
please let me know if you may have any info the hub is called (Rocky Mountain Sealed Boost 15mm
Rear Hub) on the rocky website.

Thanks,
Oscar.

If you have the bearing exposed you can usually read its code and then just order a bearing with that exact same code. Baring that, bust out your calipers and measure ID OD and width and order the bearings that match those dimensions.

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 16:40 Quote
nubbs wrote:
kees wrote:
Hi There!

Thanks!

Once you're getting chain slap you either warranty the derailleur or buy another one.
or you just accept that some chain slap is normal and ride the damn bike.

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 16:48 Quote
Nobble wrote:
nubbs wrote:
kees wrote:
Hi There!

Thanks!

Haha no. I prefer the bike quiet. Axs mtb derailleur clutches are not up to the task and it's known.

Wait for next gen tho its supposed to be actually serviceable!

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 16:51 Quote
nubbs wrote:
Nobble wrote:
nubbs wrote:

Haha no. I prefer the bike quiet. Axs mtb derailleur clutches are not up to the task and it's known.

Wait for next gen tho its supposed to be actually serviceable!

I mean like I guess you could cut the chain a link short maybe, but it would probably affect shifting especiallly with how finicky sram eagle is. If you really want it quiet get one of those STFU chain slap things. Supposed to really help.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014810
Mobile Version of Website