Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Author Message
O+
Posted: Aug 23, 2022 at 13:48 Quote
mediocrityontwowheels wrote:
How do you change the travel on a Bomber Z1 air? Do you rearrange spacers or buy a new air shaft? I can't seem to find anything . . .

Z1 air forks need new air shafts. Z1 coil forks have internal spaces which can adjust travel in 10mm increments.

Posted: Aug 23, 2022 at 13:53 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
mediocrityontwowheels wrote:
How do you change the travel on a Bomber Z1 air? Do you rearrange spacers or buy a new air shaft? I can't seem to find anything . . .

Z1 air forks need new air shafts. Z1 coil forks have internal spaces which can adjust travel in 10mm increments.

You use the fox 36 Rhythm air shaft they are 100 bucks CAD so whatever that works out to in USD

Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 16:52 Quote
Quick question I’m looking to change the colour of the lowers in my fox 36 from black to orange has anyone else done this? If so what is the best way paint, powder coat, Cerakote, vinyl wrap etc

O+
Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 22:39 Quote
I bought a used Giant Trance X 29 (2021).

The dropper post (Giant Contact Switch dropper) was having trouble coming up without assistance, so I added some suspension lube on the shaft. That helped. But now, it sometimes spontaneously compresses down (slowly) when I'm sitting on it, without pressing the lever.

Does this sound like I need to replace the air cartridge?

Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 23:09 Quote
release cable tension from the dropper lever using the barrel adjuster (just a little bit) and push the dropper housing into the frame more. could just be too much tension on the cable and it ended up pulling the actuator a little bit.

Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 6:14 Quote
Best replacement rear rim for a Stans Flow EX3......hit me

(wouldn't mind if it was slightly lighter)

O+
Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 6:22 Quote
oatkinso wrote:
Best replacement rear rim for a Stans Flow EX3......hit me

(wouldn't mind if it was slightly lighter)

Cheaper rims or nicer ones? The dt m502 rim is solid and is like $100 for a rim. If you wanted something a bit nicer, the spank rims are supposed to be great and a solid rim.

Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 6:35 Quote
kiranseligman wrote:
oatkinso wrote:
Best replacement rear rim for a Stans Flow EX3......hit me

(wouldn't mind if it was slightly lighter)

Cheaper rims or nicer ones? The dt m502 rim is solid and is like $100 for a rim. If you wanted something a bit nicer, the spank rims are supposed to be great and a solid rim.

Not cheap but not crazy either. Not carbon. 30mm internal width. DT EX511 looks pretty decent?

O+
Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 7:01 Quote
I just replaced a Stan's flow with a spank and it has been great. ERDs are close but I ended up replacing all the spokes anyways.

O+
Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 7:07 Quote
oatkinso wrote:
kiranseligman wrote:
oatkinso wrote:
Best replacement rear rim for a Stans Flow EX3......hit me

(wouldn't mind if it was slightly lighter)

Cheaper rims or nicer ones? The dt m502 rim is solid and is like $100 for a rim. If you wanted something a bit nicer, the spank rims are supposed to be great and a solid rim.

Not cheap but not crazy either. Not carbon. 30mm internal width. DT EX511 looks pretty decent?

I've beat the snot out one one for over 2 seasons now and it's still going, can't be brought back true but hasn't folded yet.

Only complaint is the narrow sidewall can cut tires easier than a carbon with a wider one ( no personal experience with this though). The new ibis black birds are supposed to have a wider sidewall to prevent this.

Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 7:07 Quote
oatkinso wrote:
kiranseligman wrote:
oatkinso wrote:
Best replacement rear rim for a Stans Flow EX3......hit me

(wouldn't mind if it was slightly lighter)

Cheaper rims or nicer ones? The dt m502 rim is solid and is like $100 for a rim. If you wanted something a bit nicer, the spank rims are supposed to be great and a solid rim.

Not cheap but not crazy either. Not carbon. 30mm internal width. DT EX511 looks pretty decent?

I'm a big fan of Flow EX's. For the weight, it's hard to find stronger. For the strength it's hard to find lighter.
Saying that, I've recently thrown a pair of DT EX511's on the DH bike to see how they hold up. Haven't had a chance to properly ride them yet (broke my knee recently :/), but I will say they built up lovely. From a build quality perspective I'm very impressed. Will have to wait and see how durable they are though.

O+
Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 8:40 Quote
Broken knee does not sound fun...

I have been running Flow EX for a few years now and really like strength and durability. I think I have thrown them in the truing stand once or twice a year. I have even broken spokes and they stayed straight.

Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 8:45 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
Broken knee does not sound fun...

I have been running Flow EX for a few years now and really like strength and durability. I think I have thrown them in the truing stand once or twice a year. I have even broken spokes and they stayed straight.

It really is not fun. Good excuse to tinker with the motorbikes while im not allowed to ride though lol
Getting pretty good at crutch assisted skateboarding too. Doctor isn't happy with me about that one.

Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 9:25 Quote
Cheers for the replies. I think I'll try the EX511, been on Stans of various types for about 10 years and bar some garbage OEM ones that came on a factory build they've been great.

This EX3 has cracked right through the eyelet; I can't remember any bad cases recently so it might've been me over tightening when I built them perhaps, I do remember struggling to get tension on NDS even though I'd got custom spokes cut to exactly the right length.

Can anyone comment on whether I should or shouldn't reuse the spokes I've got right now? Just looking to save some cash.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.027497
Mobile Version of Website