Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2022 at 0:50 Quote
Does anyone know if MRP springs fit EXT Storia V3 LOKs? MRP springs are 38mm internal diameter while EXT are 38.5. Does that .5mm make a difference?

Posted: Nov 19, 2022 at 13:02 Quote
Stupar98 wrote:
leftypumpkin wrote:
Stupar98 wrote:
So I have Shimano XT BR-M8120 with chipped piston (I think it's the big one, not small) and it's leaking. What other Shimano brakes got compatible piston? I guess one replacement could be BR-M7120 (SLX), but what about Deore BR-M6120? I noticed they got ceramic pistons also, but I am wondering if they are same size as SLX or XT. Maybe older version Saint? Thank you for answers in advance.

MT520's are also the same pistons, if swapping to a 520 caliper you'll need to cut and bleed your brake hose as the connection on the caliper is barb/olive.

I did manage to find another caliper to scavenge a piston from, with 4 pistons it can be difficult to get the one you want out (especially if you have already popped the wrong one out). It seems pretty common to crack the large piston instead of one of the small ones.

Thank you for help. If I understood correctly, XT BR-M8120, SLX BR-M7120, Deore BR-M6120 and BR-MT520 all got same ceramic pistons.

The way my piston is cracked it wont be problem to get it out. It's chipped on the side and only to half depth so if piston is halfway out, it seals. Problem is that normally is deeper in caliper and it leaks.

You can find spare ceramic piston on Aliexpress. They are not cheap but if you are sure only one is cracked it’s still cheaper than a whole caliper.
I’m using them on my xt caliper for a year now with a summer in the Alps and no problem to report !

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2022 at 13:50 Quote
Try a chunk of construction sheathing tape with a hole melted through. It is designed to create air tight seals. I have actually done whole rims with it but it is hard to work with to do the whole thing.

It's a bodge and a half, but it works. Cheap as chips too.

Posted: Nov 19, 2022 at 21:11 Quote
ShawMac wrote:
Try a chunk of construction sheathing tape with a hole melted through. It is designed to create air tight seals. I have actually done whole rims with it but it is hard to work with to do the whole thing.

It's a bodge and a half, but it works. Cheap as chips too.

I ended up cutting my gorilla tape roll slightly wider when I retaped so it was right up against the rim wall on both sides. Seems to have sealed up well so far!

Posted: Nov 22, 2022 at 7:50 Quote
Are Fox DPX2 shocks known to be sensitive to cold temperatures? For the past three seasons I’ve had the EXACT same phenomenon… Ride all year and shock is fine, after one cold night in the garage (usually below freezing) the next morning if you sit on the bike the shock is aerated and from that point on feels like shit and requires a rebuild. This is the third time this exact scenario has happened which has me wondering if these shocks simply cannot be stored at these cold temps? Maybe the seals firm up and air leaks past the seals or something? Any suggestions aside from simply storing in warmer temps?

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2022 at 8:01 Quote
BryanBobo wrote:
Are Fox DPX2 shocks known to be sensitive to cold temperatures? For the past three seasons I’ve had the EXACT same phenomenon… Ride all year and shock is fine, after one cold night in the garage (usually below freezing) the next morning if you sit on the bike the shock is aerated and from that point on feels like shit and requires a rebuild. This is the third time this exact scenario has happened which has me wondering if these shocks simply cannot be stored at these cold temps? Maybe the seals firm up and air leaks past the seals or something? Any suggestions aside from simply storing in warmer temps?

If you ask me. Any dpx2 gets aerated pretty quick no matter the temperature. Not the best damper.. New float x took over now thankfully.

Commonly the dpx2 damper makes noises (whooshing, not blown damper noises) of being aerated even when just rebuilt if you have the adjusters set closer to the open full open setting.

Could relate to your dpx2 being mounted to a strut/yoke bike and that is sideloading the shock allowing air to more easily burp into the damper.

Also might align with the shock just needing service? Again the dpx2 aerates pretty easily, especially on a strut bike that is ridden often/hard.

Posted: Nov 22, 2022 at 10:32 Quote
My rockshox monarch rear shock makes a really squishy sound when it is compressed. It was rebuilt about 8 months ago. Does this mean its blown? Thanks in advance!

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2022 at 11:23 Quote
It is possible that it needs another rebuild.
Has it had an aircan service and is it only on the compression stroke?

Posted: Nov 22, 2022 at 11:37 Quote
noakeabean wrote:
My rockshox monarch rear shock makes a really squishy sound when it is compressed. It was rebuilt about 8 months ago. Does this mean its blown? Thanks in advance!

8 months is A LOT

Probably needs a rebuild again

Posted: Nov 22, 2022 at 11:47 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
I did the 50 or 100 hour service kit on it

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2022 at 13:50 Quote
noakeabean wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:

That's the air sleeve service.

Needs damper service. 200hr service kit or whatever rockshox calls it. Old Monarchs dampers blow pretty easily if ridden hard.

Posted: Nov 22, 2022 at 13:53 Quote
nubbs wrote:
noakeabean wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:

That's the air sleeve service.

Needs damper service. 200hr service kit or whatever rockshox calls it. Old Monarchs dampers blow pretty easily if ridden hard.
Yeah I ride really hard. Many hard huck-to-flats

Posted: Nov 22, 2022 at 14:08 Quote
I haven't posted before. I bought my son a Commencal Meta HT earlier this year. Went for the cheap trim to save money and get him on a better bike for his team, but immediately realized some of the components were too cheap for any kind of riding. It's all the sram sx stuff which is plastic and the brakes were pretty much worthless.

Anyway, my question is can I significantly improve his shifting experience by exclusively replacing the derailleur with a Sram GX, or do you need to replace the shifter, too? I'd rather do the one thing right now, but not if it won't make a major improvement in the ride.

We ride the same size bike, so I can tell how much you get thrown around on casual shifting. He asked me if he could upgrade something and I think this would be the most significant improvement since we've already done the brakes.

Posted: Nov 22, 2022 at 14:50 Quote
climb-descend-again wrote:
I haven't posted before. I bought my son a Commencal Meta HT earlier this year. Went for the cheap trim to save money and get him on a better bike for his team, but immediately realized some of the components were too cheap for any kind of riding. It's all the sram sx stuff which is plastic and the brakes were pretty much worthless.

Anyway, my question is can I significantly improve his shifting experience by exclusively replacing the derailleur with a Sram GX, or do you need to replace the shifter, too? I'd rather do the one thing right now, but not if it won't make a major improvement in the ride.

We ride the same size bike, so I can tell how much you get thrown around on casual shifting. He asked me if he could upgrade something and I think this would be the most significant improvement since we've already done the brakes.

I can't speak to the quality of shifting for either sx or gx, but as far as compatibility, you should be good to keep using the same shifter. A quick heads up, in my five second search, it appears that there is gx eagle, which is the 12-speed, and just regular gx, which is 10 or 11-speed, so make sure you buy the right one.

Posted: Nov 22, 2022 at 15:58 Quote
isaacwmtb04 wrote:
climb-descend-again wrote:

I can't speak to the quality of shifting for either sx or gx, but as far as compatibility, you should be good to keep using the same shifter. A quick heads up, in my five second search, it appears that there is gx eagle, which is the 12-speed, and just regular gx, which is 10 or 11-speed, so make sure you buy the right one.

Thanks. I just didn't know if the action in the shifter itself has a dramatic effect on the feel of shifting.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.039475
Mobile Version of Website