Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Nov 22, 2022 at 15:58 Quote
isaacwmtb04 wrote:
climb-descend-again wrote:
I haven't posted before. I bought my son a Commencal Meta HT earlier this year. Went for the cheap trim to save money and get him on a better bike for his team, but immediately realized some of the components were too cheap for any kind of riding. It's all the sram sx stuff which is plastic and the brakes were pretty much worthless.

Anyway, my question is can I significantly improve his shifting experience by exclusively replacing the derailleur with a Sram GX, or do you need to replace the shifter, too? I'd rather do the one thing right now, but not if it won't make a major improvement in the ride.

We ride the same size bike, so I can tell how much you get thrown around on casual shifting. He asked me if he could upgrade something and I think this would be the most significant improvement since we've already done the brakes.

I can't speak to the quality of shifting for either sx or gx, but as far as compatibility, you should be good to keep using the same shifter. A quick heads up, in my five second search, it appears that there is gx eagle, which is the 12-speed, and just regular gx, which is 10 or 11-speed, so make sure you buy the right one.

Thanks. I just didn't know if the action in the shifter itself has a dramatic effect on the feel of shifting.

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2022 at 16:20 Quote
isaacwmtb04 wrote:
I haven't posted before. I bought my son a Commencal Meta HT earlier this year. Went for the cheap trim to save money and get him on a better bike for his team, but immediately realized some of the components were too cheap for any kind of riding. It's all the sram sx stuff which is plastic and the brakes were pretty much worthless.

Anyway, my question is can I significantly improve his shifting experience by exclusively replacing the derailleur with a Sram GX, or do you need to replace the shifter, too? I'd rather do the one thing right now, but not if it won't make a major improvement in the ride.

We ride the same size bike, so I can tell how much you get thrown around on casual shifting. He asked me if he could upgrade something and I think this would be the most significant improvement since we've already done the brakes.

I can't speak to the quality of shifting for either sx or gx, but as far as compatibility, you should be good to keep using the same shifter. A quick heads up, in my five second search, it appears that there is gx eagle, which is the 12-speed, and just regular gx, which is 10 or 11-speed, so make sure you buy the right one.

Thanks. I just didn't know if the action in the shifter itself has a dramatic effect on the feel of shifting.

I am not well versed int he differences with SRAM, but in Shimano, usually the shifter makes a fair amount of difference.

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2022 at 17:54 Quote
isaacwmtb04 wrote:

If the bike in question is equipped with Sram SX shifter and derailleur you can definitely replace them.

The SX shifter AND derailleur are really bad components for any mountain bike. Unless you ride paved paths on your mountain bike, occasionally..

I'd recommend getting a GX 12speed derailleur first then make the kiddo earn the GX 12 speed shifter to match it.

Posted: Nov 22, 2022 at 19:53 Quote
A quick google says you can get a GX shifter for around $35. I’d say its worth swapping both just to save yourself the labor later.

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2022 at 20:03 Quote
Or swap it all out for Shimano deore that is cheap and very good. Available in 11 or 12 speed and will work with your sram cassette.

Posted: Nov 22, 2022 at 20:19 Quote
thanks for the suggestions.

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2022 at 21:05 Quote
Yeah i would swap out both. SX is criminally bad, gx will feel like a million bucks in comparison

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2022 at 6:37 Quote
cant seem to find the head set size for an orbea rallon 2019 does anyone know ? upper and lower cups

Posted: Nov 23, 2022 at 7:22 Quote
hatipov wrote:
cant seem to find the head set size for an orbea rallon 2019 does anyone know ? upper and lower cups

Checked the spec here:-

https://mtbdatabase.com/bikes/2019/orbea/rallon/2019-orbea-rallon-m10/

It says intergrated so no cups, just direct fit bearings. Likely a 42mm diameter bearing at the top and a 52mm diameter bearing at the bottom.

If you take out the bearings you should see all the dimensions, shamfer angles, etc. etched onto the edge and match for replacements.

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2022 at 7:29 Quote
hatipov wrote:

https://acros-components.com/en/orbea

IS42/52

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2022 at 17:38 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
Or swap it all out for Shimano deore that is cheap and very good. Available in 11 or 12 speed and will work with your sram cassette.

Can do 11 but 12 will need a new freehub body which can get costly.

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2022 at 18:40 Quote
kiranseligman wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:

depends you can use a 12speed sram cassette if you already have an xd driver. I don’t know what driver the op’s kid has on his bike.

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2022 at 19:32 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
kiranseligman wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:

depends you can use a 12speed sram cassette if you already have an xd driver. I don’t know what driver the op’s kid has on his bike.

If SX probably HG driver

Posted: Nov 23, 2022 at 20:12 Quote
There are 12 speed cassettes with a 11t highest sprocket that fit a standard HG freehub. It's the 10t sprockets that require a special freehub (XD for SRAM or Microspline for Shimano).

O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2022 at 7:34 Quote
SRAM NX 12 spd cassettes are HG. 11-50 or something like that

SunRace also has an 11-51T. rocky mountain specs these on some of their bikes.

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.026954
Mobile Version of Website