Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
O+
Posted: Dec 3, 2022 at 14:03 Quote
ShawMac wrote:
Banshee uses IS mounts. I had two adapters originally, a 180mm IS adapter and a +20 post. No issues. I eventually found a 200 IS adapter.

thank you!

Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 4:57 Quote
Hey All,

Does anyone know if Fox warranties or guarantees any sort of post service lifespan if they perform the service on a shock?

I’ve got an X2 on a bike I only ride maybe 3-5 times a year that without fail still needs annual rebuilds due to aeration issues. If fox guarantees their rebuilds in someway I guess I could just keep having the shock rebuilt under warranty, otherwise I may just bike the bullet and buy a new non-Fox shock as frequently rebuilding a shock for a bike I barely ride is annoying.

Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 5:24 Quote
BryanBobo wrote:
Hey All,

Does anyone know if Fox warranties or guarantees any sort of post service lifespan if they perform the service on a shock?

I’ve got an X2 on a bike I only ride maybe 3-5 times a year that without fail still needs annual rebuilds due to aeration issues. If fox guarantees their rebuilds in someway I guess I could just keep having the shock rebuilt under warranty, otherwise I may just bike the bullet and buy a new non-Fox shock as frequently rebuilding a shock for a bike I barely ride is annoying.

Annual service on a shock is normal and to be expected, no matter how much you ride. I regularly deal with people trying to claim warranty for issues caused by lack of proper servicing and it's irritating.

Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 6:19 Quote
Anyone know what crank spindle lenght I need for a 2015 Giant stp with 73mm shell? Couldnt find any info... Cheers!

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 6:46 Quote
voltagerider wrote:
Anyone know what crank spindle lenght I need for a 2015 Giant stp with 73mm shell? Couldnt find any info... Cheers!

What bottom bracket do you have? The diameter changes for different brands, but there will only be one spindle length for a standard 73mm BSA

Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 6:47 Quote
The 2017 Enduro carbon has a 34.9mm seat tube with a reducer to 30.9.
Can that spacer be safely removed and just use a 34.9 dropper post?
Thank you.

Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 8:02 Quote
arphia wrote:
voltagerider wrote:

What bottom bracket do you have? The diameter changes for different brands, but there will only be one spindle length for a standard 73mm BSA

I dont have one yet... But what would be the spindle lenght for a standard 73mm?

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 8:24 Quote
BryanBobo wrote:
Hey All,

Yes they do have a warranty service on work they have completed whether it's a previous paid service or warranty service.

Fox calls it a "bring back" when the customer is not satisfied with the work that was done.

The X2 shock (especially trunnion mounted) is at a point where Fox will replace it with a new Float X to keep you from having to warranty the X2 multiple times per year.

If I were you I would try and get them to replace the X2 you have with the New Float X. They need to know how many customers are having a bad time with their products in order to be better in the future.

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 8:41 Quote
nubbs wrote:
BryanBobo wrote:
Hey All,

Yes they do have a warranty service on work they have completed whether it's a previous paid service or warranty service.

Fox calls it a "bring back" when the customer is not satisfied with the work that was done.

The X2 shock (especially trunnion mounted) is at a point where Fox will replace it with a new Float X to keep you from having to warranty the X2 multiple times per year.

If I were you I would try and get them to replace the X2 you have with the New Float X. They need to know how many customers are having a bad time with their products in order to be better in the future.

interesting...the float X isnt quite the same as the X2. if it were a DPX2 that would be a nice upgrade...but i feel thats a downgrade from a (working) X2

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 8:57 Quote
blamalamadingdong wrote:
nubbs wrote:
BryanBobo wrote:
Hey All,

interesting...the float X isnt quite the same as the X2. if it were a DPX2 that would be a nice upgrade...but i feel thats a downgrade from a (working) X2

the float X is the newer (and superior) dpx2.
Id rather have a working float X than a time bomb of a float X2.

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 9:01 Quote
newbermuda wrote:

the float X is the newer (and superior) dpx2.
Id rather have a working float X than a time bomb of a float X2.

sorry, what i meant is if you were upgrading from a DPX2 to a float X its a win.

Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 9:38 Quote
Client9 wrote:
Thank you.

If it is a 34.9 seat tube with a shim in it, there should be no reason why you can’t remove the shim to run a 34.9 seat post.

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 9:44 Quote
isaacwmtb04 wrote:
Client9 wrote:
Thank you.

If it is a 34.9 seat tube with a shim in it, there should be no reason why you can’t remove the shim to run a 34.9 seat post.

I’d also recommend actually removing the shim. I always try and avoid using them.

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 9:59 Quote
blamalamadingdong wrote:
nubbs wrote:
BryanBobo wrote:
Hey All,

Well the X2 doesn't work very well. Especially the trunnion ones. The new float X does work and it's super tuneable and won't fail in a few weeks of park riding.

Having rebuilt a few hundred of them it is not a good shock still. Fox is working to update it but it takes a long time with all manufacturers being overseas..

The manufacturer Fox has a known technical service bulletin on this exact issue to get their customers a product that works with their projected service intervals.

Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 10:26 Quote
Client9 wrote:
Thank you.

yes, it's a bit hard to remove though so be aware, it's probably caked with years of junk

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.035992
Mobile Version of Website