Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Mar 27, 2023 at 9:07 Quote
Hey fellas,

I have a very weird issue with a Shimano Saint 10s RD and a Shimano XT 11-34 cassette.

It is a fairly fresh drivetrain, in fact the whole bike is new. Not brand new, got a few rides in already.

The annoying thing is that when power pedalling in the easiest 3 gears, the chain/cassette/RD is crunching/grinding. B-gap is set properly to about 5mm, indexing is as precise as I could get it, shifting is smooth, no other noise or grind being felt when changing gears.

Just the top 3 gears grinding.
Clutch on/off, no effect.
Casually pedalling, no crunch, power pedalling, loud crunching.
With/without RD mode converter, no effect.

Any ideas?

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2023 at 9:40 Quote
LukasKovarik wrote:
Hey fellas,

I have a very weird issue with a Shimano Saint 10s RD and a Shimano XT 11-34 cassette.

It is a fairly fresh drivetrain, in fact the whole bike is new. Not brand new, got a few rides in already.

The annoying thing is that when power pedalling in the easiest 3 gears, the chain/cassette/RD is crunching/grinding. B-gap is set properly to about 5mm, indexing is as precise as I could get it, shifting is smooth, no other noise or grind being felt when changing gears.

Any ideas?

I would guess chainline? Can you move your chainring inboard a few mm? Also could be worth checking derailleur hanger alignment.

Posted: Mar 27, 2023 at 10:15 Quote
bishopsmike wrote:
LukasKovarik wrote:
Hey fellas,

Any ideas?

I would guess chainline? Can you move your chainring inboard a few mm? Also could be worth checking derailleur hanger alignment.

Bought a Garbaruk chainring, 9-12s compatible, should have like 3mm chainline adjustment. No effect compared to a standard Shimano XT chainring.

If it was the chainline, though, I think there wouldn't be the "power pedalling" thing. It literally only occurs when I pedal really hard, standing up. (No, it is not the bottom bracket)
It just feels like something between the RD arm and the cassette.

Been a headache for me since the bike was new a month ago, can't seem to get a single clue.

Same frame, 12s XT drivetrain, no issue. 10S Saint RD, 10s 11-34 XT cassette, issue occurs.

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2023 at 10:17 Quote
LukasKovarik wrote:
bishopsmike wrote:
LukasKovarik wrote:
Hey fellas,

Any ideas?

Bought a Garbaruk chainring, 9-12s compatible, should have like 3mm chainline adjustment. No effect compared to a standard Shimano XT chainring.

If it was the chainline, though, I think there wouldn't be the "power pedalling" thing. It literally only occurs when I pedal really hard, standing up. (No, it is not the bottom bracket)
It just feels like simrtging between the RD arm and the cassette.

Been a headache for me since the bike was new a month ago, can't seem to get a single clue.

Same frame, 12s XT drivetrain, no issue. 10S Saint RD, 10s 11-34 XT cassette, issue occurs.

What chain are you using?

Posted: Mar 27, 2023 at 10:18 Quote
kiranseligman wrote:
LukasKovarik wrote:
bishopsmike wrote:

It just feels like simrtging between the RD arm and the cassette.

What chain are you using?

KMC 10s chain

Posted: Mar 27, 2023 at 11:42 Quote
LukasKovarik wrote:
bishopsmike wrote:
LukasKovarik wrote:
Hey fellas,

Any ideas?

Is the cassette properly torqued down onto the freehub body?

Posted: Mar 27, 2023 at 11:44 Quote
Noticed these cracks where the seatstay meets the seat post on my old (2011?) fuji hardtail.

photo
photo

Saw it earlier and hoped it was just paint damage, but frame is f*cked right?

Is there any point trying to replace the frame to get it running again? I looked online for 26" xc frames with qr wheel spacing and 1 1/8 headset and found nothing.

Mod
Posted: Mar 27, 2023 at 11:55 Quote
she's f*cked m8

Posted: Mar 27, 2023 at 12:00 Quote
NS Surge Evo, not an out an out XC frame but will meet all your specs & and you can turn it 27 if you want to modernise at some point

Posted: Mar 27, 2023 at 12:13 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
LukasKovarik wrote:
bishopsmike wrote:

Definitely.

Posted: Mar 27, 2023 at 13:15 Quote
LukasKovarik wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
LukasKovarik wrote:

Definitely.

If its a modern 11s freehub body, do you have a spacer behind the 10s cassette? 10s cassettes are shorter in length than 11s by a few mm, meaning that with 11s freehub bodies when the cassette fixing bolt is done up tight the cassette itself can appear tight, but not actually be fully compressed together. This regularly leads to noise when cranking hard in the easiest gears.

Posted: Mar 27, 2023 at 13:18 Quote
Road 11s freehubs are longer than 8-9-10s freehubs. But mountain 11s uses the same freehub by cantilevering the largest sprocket over the spokes a little bit. So the extra spacer would only apply to a road 11s freehub.

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2023 at 18:41 Quote
I am trying to swap rims on two bikes. A 141QR Boost to 148 Boost conversion, and then the opposite for other bike 148 down to 141QR.

I see conversion kits on Amazon and Ebay, I've watched a few YoutTube vids, but I am absolutley lost. Ha!!! It looks like simple end caps to just "pop on" but my rims don't look like what they are showing!!!

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2023 at 18:45 Quote
Markhat250 wrote:
I am trying to swap rims on two bikes. A 141QR Boost to 148 Boost conversion, and then the opposite for other bike 148 down to 141QR.

I see conversion kits on Amazon and Ebay, I've watched a few YoutTube vids, but I am absolutley lost. Ha!!! It looks like simple end caps to just "pop on" but my rims don't look like what they are showing!!!

The 141 to 148 conversion would be for the hub spacing… so I assume you mean to say that the hubs don’t look like in the video? What hubs do you have? And do you possibly have a link to the end caps you are seeing?

Or are you trying to swap the rim itself and re-lace the whole wheel?

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2023 at 18:49 Quote
kiranseligman wrote:
Markhat250 wrote:

The 141 to 148 conversion would be for the hub spacing… so I assume you mean to say that the hubs don’t look like in the video? What hubs do you have? And do you possibly have a link to the end caps you are seeing?

Or are you trying to swap the rim itself and re-lace the whole wheel?

Trying to avoid the relace. That's why I went looking for a convertor.

The 141QR is off Trek Roscoe 7 stock hubs. The 148 is off Giant hubs from Trance 2. So they might be weird proprietary deals? Or is that a thing. Sorry newb about this.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.024121
Mobile Version of Website