Powered by Outside

Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: May 5, 2024 at 11:46 Quote
Maxxis came out with their WT(wide trail) tires a few years ago for 2.5 and 2.6 sizes and recommend 30-35mm internal rim width. I would expect the 2.5 to measure at least 2.4 and change on an i30 rim but as I mentioned, that wasn't the case. If you're hoping for the 2.6DHF to be close to size,I think you'll be disappointed, and not because of your rim width. Every Maxxis tire I've owned has been under size and some ridiculously so. Maxxis has a reputation for that. 5mm of rim width shouldn't have that much of an effect on tire width.

Posted: May 6, 2024 at 8:40 Quote
My 2.4 kryptotals are the same size as my 2.5 DHFs were, for what it’s worth.

Still wouldn’t want a 2.6 tyre, feels imprecise and rolls on the rim more compared to a narrower tyre.

Posted: May 6, 2024 at 18:52 Quote
hydraulica wrote:
Maxxis came out with their WT(wide trail) tires a few years ago for 2.5 and 2.6 sizes and recommend 30-35mm internal rim width. I would expect the 2.5 to measure at least 2.4 and change on an i30 rim but as I mentioned, that wasn't the case. If you're hoping for the 2.6DHF to be close to size,I think you'll be disappointed, and not because of your rim width. Every Maxxis tire I've owned has been under size and some ridiculously so. Maxxis has a reputation for that. 5mm of rim width shouldn't have that much of an effect on tire width.

great thanks, thats good info....since im running a 2.4 currently, (which apparently isn't) and the rim will allow for a 2.6 then I may try it...even if its not truly a 2.6 it "should" be at least a bit wider then my current set up, which is what I'm after. if that makes sense? The actual measurement isn't important to me, my goal is to try a bit wider setup.

O+
Posted: May 6, 2024 at 19:04 Quote
ghost1107 wrote:
hydraulica wrote:

great thanks, thats good info....since im running a 2.4 currently, (which apparently isn't) and the rim will allow for a 2.6 then I may try it...even if its not truly a 2.6 it "should" be at least a bit wider then my current set up, which is what I'm after. if that makes sense? The actual measurement isn't important to me, my goal is to try a bit wider setup.

Also, the one you said you want, (a DHRII) is wider than a same size DHF, (what was talked about by others). And to answer your question, a 2.6 DHRII will fit fine on a 38. I currently have 2.8 DHRII’s on my 38 with plenty of clearance.

O+
Posted: May 6, 2024 at 20:22 Quote
brady7brady wrote:
I bought an old 2004 Norco atomic that I’m trying to essentially restore to how it would’ve came new, and I need to rebuild the 2004 fox van r rear shock, I’ve had it apart and replaced the oil but it tops out really bad and when I squish it down it has no rebound until after an inch of travel back. Anyone with any info on how to fix this let me know because the shock is in really nice condition and don’t wanna replace it if I don’t need too

It probably has air in it you need to make sure there are no air bubbles in the oil when you fill it. Also make sure you set the ifp at the correct depth.

Posted: May 7, 2024 at 15:32 Quote
Hi all I’m in need of some advice before I buy,
I’ve brought new frame and the BB is 83mm my old cranks are 68/73mm (race face atlas cinch) so they do a conversion kit, as I’d like to use my current cranks,
The only thing that is concerning me is when I select the 83mm spindle it doesn’t specify if it fits my atlas cranks.

has anyone done this conversion or something similar?

Here’s the link to what I’m looking to buy
https://www.silverfish-uk.com/products/SPARES/Cranks-Chainsets/F30048_Race-Face-Cinch-Spindle-Conversion-Kit-83mm-SiXC

Any help is greatly appreciated

O+
Posted: May 7, 2024 at 20:36 Quote
OoB4K3RoO wrote:
I’ve brought new frame and the BB is 83mm my old cranks are 68/73mm (race face atlas cinch) so they do a conversion kit, as I’d like to use my current cranks,
The only thing that is concerning me is when I select the 83mm spindle it doesn’t specify if it fits my atlas cranks.

https://www.silverfish-uk.com/products/SPARES/Cranks-Chainsets/F30048_Race-Face-Cinch-Spindle-Conversion-Kit-83mm-SiXC

Message raceface they will know for sure

Posted: May 8, 2024 at 6:08 Quote
OoB4K3RoO wrote:

As stated above, you can contact Race Face to be sure. As I understand their product line, the Cinch system is used on all their cranks. If you have genuine Race Face Atlas cranks then they should have the Cinch system interface. Looking at the link you provided I see that it uses Cinch interface so my thinking is you'd be fine.

Posted: May 8, 2024 at 14:23 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
brady7brady wrote:
I bought an old 2004 Norco atomic that I’m trying to essentially restore to how it would’ve came new, and I need to rebuild the 2004 fox van r rear shock, I’ve had it apart and replaced the oil but it tops out really bad and when I squish it down it has no rebound until after an inch of travel back. Anyone with any info on how to fix this let me know because the shock is in really nice condition and don’t wanna replace it if I don’t need too

It probably has air in it you need to make sure there are no air bubbles in the oil when you fill it. Also make sure you set the ifp at the correct depth.

That sounds like a massive air gap in the damper. Either that or theres a check valve stuck open on the main piston. I cant recommend a professional rebuild enough. If you've had a go and its not working, send it to a pro.

Posted: May 9, 2024 at 13:36 Quote
Wow the bike market is really bad. I've had mine up for a minute at a decent price and no real bites. What are others doing to get their bikes sold?

Yes, I know this is less of a mechanics question but I assume most of you have sold bikes in the past year or so.

Mod
Posted: May 9, 2024 at 13:58 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:
Wow the bike market is really bad. I've had mine up for a minute at a decent price and no real bites. What are others doing to get their bikes sold?

Yes, I know this is less of a mechanics question but I assume most of you have sold bikes in the past year or so.
lower the price for a quick sale otherwise just wait i guess

Posted: May 9, 2024 at 14:17 Quote
Yeah man the $3-5k used market is especially tough. Anyone looking to move on from a hardtail or upgrade from a crappy FS is gonna buy new right now, so many good bikes for $3k. And anyone looking for the new high end stuff is just gonna buy new for the warranty. Drop your price by at least $500 and you might have better luck

Posted: May 9, 2024 at 14:27 Quote
TranceAllez wrote:
Yeah man the $3-5k used market is especially tough. Anyone looking to move on from a hardtail or upgrade from a crappy FS is gonna buy new right now, so many good bikes for $3k. And anyone looking for the new high end stuff is just gonna buy new for the warranty. Drop your price by at least $500 and you might have better luck
Yeah that’s what I did over the course of week. Drop it $100 per day ish.

It started at $3750 not it’s at $3250.

O+
Posted: May 9, 2024 at 15:30 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:

If someone has been watching it drop $100 per day they might be sitting back waiting to see how much further it drops now...

Posted: May 9, 2024 at 15:31 Quote
Gravelben wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:

If someone has been watching it drop $100 per day they might be sitting back waiting to see how much further it drops now...
Haha true, 3k is the floor though.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.040541
Mobile Version of Website