Any tips for keeping slip on grips in place?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Any tips for keeping slip on grips in place?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 18, 2012 at 9:37 Quote
any tips?

thanks

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 at 10:16 Quote
Isnt hair spray ment to be good for that ?

sure I read that some where.

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 at 10:17 Quote
bigburd wrote:

i was going to say the same Big Grin

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 at 10:22 Quote
What kind of Slip-On Grips do you? Are they open ended on both ends per 1 grip, or just a single with a closed end.

1) If you can find extras/etc, you can mount Lock-On "Jaws" or Clamps and simply mount them on each side of the grip. If you don't want the extra Grip length w/ the Lock Clamps, just cut down the actual grip to a smaller size. - I did this method for my previous ESI Grips. Although they wouldn't slip I didn't want to take any chances while DH'ing, so I just slapped on Lock-On Clamps on both sides of each grip. It's a great safety feature for Slip-On Grips.

2) Get really strong Bar Ends (not extensions), so in that way at least if your grips try to fall out, they can have that extra support.

3) Mount very strong Duct Tape on the bare Handlebar in three small stripes. Then mount. The added out-diameter should help grip and stretch the Slip-On Grips to become pretty solid on the Handlebar.

4) Glue. Enough said. Don't recommend unless you are gonna keep those Grips for the rest of your life.

5) Don't use Slip-On Grips. Actually don't use anything. Bare Handlebars are the new trend now... Seriously, try other grips if nothing else works out. ESI Grips are awesome, Lock-Ons are dependable.

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 at 10:23 Quote
Wiring them on works well too.

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 at 10:26 Quote
thanks used a bit of window cleaner, got the crap off them !

Posted: Sep 18, 2012 at 14:58 Quote
bigburd wrote:

Yup been using it for years, sticks really well and doesn't wreck the grips or bars. Bit of wd40 and they come off easy.

Posted: Sep 19, 2012 at 7:26 Quote
Hairspray yes... u don't need a lot

Posted: Sep 26, 2012 at 16:46 Quote
bigburd wrote:
Wiring them on works well too.

Smile

Wiring is what many of the pro Dhers used to do. Get a thin piece of copper and put it just inside the inner side of the grip (closest to the brake/shifter)... twist it till tight and then twist it several more times with pliers... cut it VERY close and then smack the end into the grip... your hands should be nowhere near this anyway and it will not move..

Lock-on are the best now however... Even my Ruffians on carbon will never move...

A.

Posted: Sep 27, 2012 at 11:26 Quote
neil-g wrote:
bigburd wrote:

Yup been using it for years, sticks really well and doesn't wreck the grips or bars. Bit of wd40 and they come off easy.
Use rubbing alcohol to remove them and avoid the WD40 residue.

Posted: Sep 27, 2012 at 16:46 Quote
Put stickers on the grip area of the bars. I have them under my grips, works perfect everytime

Posted: Sep 28, 2012 at 1:31 Quote
mcad012310 wrote:
Put stickers on the grip area of the bars. I have them under my grips, works perfect everytime

interesting....Beer

Posted: Sep 28, 2012 at 8:08 Quote
Just put 3k Rating Epoxy glue. No biggie. Won't have to worry about slips again..Book

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024424
Mobile Version of Website