Air or coil

PB Forum :: Downhill
Air or coil
  • Next Page
FL
Posted: Sep 28, 2012 at 2:16 Quote
AllenM wrote:
chris-adam-media wrote:
im running an x fusion vector air. super linear. have run low enough pressures to bottom it out and i way prefer it to coil. those charts show what the suspension will be like in theory but there are other factors to consider. unless my shock breaks i wont be running coil again

I run the vector air also. You can adjust the air volume/pressure of the reservoir to get the shock to ramp up more towards the end of the stroke. Reducing the volume of the reservoir makes a big change in how that shock behaves. If you haven't tried tweaking the reservoir hopefully that can help you.

I set up my Sunday with around 30% sag and don't have any problems with blowing through travel or not using it all effectively.

Al

Sunday is a frame that needs a progressive shock. That's why it works. Way different than the TR.

Posted: Sep 28, 2012 at 2:57 Quote
spaced wrote:
AllenM wrote:
chris-adam-media wrote:
im running an x fusion vector air. super linear. have run low enough pressures to bottom it out and i way prefer it to coil. those charts show what the suspension will be like in theory but there are other factors to consider. unless my shock breaks i wont be running coil again

I run the vector air also. You can adjust the air volume/pressure of the reservoir to get the shock to ramp up more towards the end of the stroke. Reducing the volume of the reservoir makes a big change in how that shock behaves. If you haven't tried tweaking the reservoir hopefully that can help you.

I set up my Sunday with around 30% sag and don't have any problems with blowing through travel or not using it all effectively.

Al

Sunday is a frame that needs a progressive shock. That's why it works. Way different than the TR.

Yes, I agree. Maybe I miss understood your post. What do you mean by the vector air being "super linear"? My experience has been the opposite.

For the original poster.
I think I'd lean more towards coil even though I'm running air now.

Al

Posted: Sep 28, 2012 at 3:21 Quote
perhaps its just the way i have it set up, i like to fettle and adjust, but my experience with both my shock and several air x fusion forks i have used is that they are very linear. but the adjustment range is so vast on them that you could set them up however. for what i ride i love the adjustablility and the weight of the air, when i go to whistler next year and will be riding upper mountain i might put a coil back on. but at the moment im loving my vector

AllenM wrote:
spaced wrote:
AllenM wrote:

Al

Yes, I agree. Maybe I miss understood your post. What do you mean by the vector air being "super linear"? My experience has been the opposite.

For the original poster.
I think I'd lean more towards coil even though I'm running air now.

Al

Posted: Sep 28, 2012 at 3:26 Quote
probably wasnt clear before but when the guy said 'you will hit a wall at the end of your travel' i meant id experimented with different psi and ran it low enough that it simply bottomed out, being linear all the way through the stroke and never hitting this 'wall' he was referring to!

Posted: Sep 28, 2012 at 3:59 Quote
chris-adam-media wrote:
probably wasnt clear before but when the guy said 'you will hit a wall at the end of your travel' i meant id experimented with different psi and ran it low enough that it simply bottomed out, being linear all the way through the stroke and never hitting this 'wall' he was referring to!

Cool gotcha.

Al

FL
Posted: Sep 28, 2012 at 6:05 Quote
chris-adam-media wrote:

Yes but runing too low psi means too much sag and the susp staying to low in it's travel in it's first part.

Also you can't recommend an air shock to someone on a tr when you ride a frame designed around an air shock. Of course it will feel more linear for a frame designed to work with an air shock.

Posted: Sep 28, 2012 at 6:46 Quote
im not running it on those low pressures, i was simply playing around with different pressures then. currently it is set at 30% sag.

and i think im pretty qualified to recommend an air shock since the bike im running it on is a TR450 and before that i had a 250................

spaced wrote:
chris-adam-media wrote:

Yes but runing too low psi means too much sag and the susp staying to low in it's travel in it's first part.

Also you can't recommend an air shock to someone on a tr when you ride a frame designed around an air shock. Of course it will feel more linear for a frame designed to work with an air shock.

FL
Posted: Sep 28, 2012 at 7:18 Quote
chris-adam-media wrote:
im not running it on those low pressures, i was simply playing around with different pressures then. currently it is set at 30% sag.

and i think im pretty qualified to recommend an air shock since the bike im running it on is a TR450 and before that i had a 250................

spaced wrote:
chris-adam-media wrote:

Thought it was the rampant. Sorry

As for the TR. I stand by my previous comment. With a good air shock it won't be bad it just won't be best "bang for the buck". For more even tracks without the rough it is perfect but in such case why even get a dh bike. Hit a rockgarden on something like that at full speed and that's the place where you will loose. It's simple phisics. At 30% sag you will use less travel with an air shock.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012315
Mobile Version of Website