Brakes: XT's or Hopes?

• Previous Page
Posted: Sep 30, 2012 at 5:01 Quote
I'm buying some new brakes to upgrade from my Old Juicy 5's, and have around $300 to spend + or - $50

My choices are either Shimano XT or Hope Evo X2's. Any advice would be much appreciated. Go!

Posted: Sep 30, 2012 at 5:34 Quote
hope brakes are quality bits of kit but the x2's feel a little underpowered and when they see the sight of mud they're pretty terrible. the new XT is amazing, you could probably go down a rotor size from what youre currently running as theyre that powerful. the comparable hope would be the m4 which are rad, ive got a set of pre evo ones (with a cam instead of bearing). you can spares for every individual bit on a hope, not so on shimano

Posted: Sep 30, 2012 at 5:48 Quote
i'd go hope simply for their simplicity and ease of maintenance.
as mentioned above every little part is available and the bleeding is just like on a car ,no syringes or weird bleed kits required .
oh and all the billet machining looks great Smile

Posted: Oct 3, 2012 at 11:48 Quote
New XT's without question, never missed a beat for me in 6 months through the British summer(utter shit weather), morzine in the wet and dry and various uplifts and I am still on my first set of pads and not even halfway worn. The power they produce is pretty impressive too once you have gotten used to le lever feel as they can be harsh getting used to them and at low speed.

Posted: Oct 4, 2012 at 11:11 Quote
Xt's or Zee's easy choice to make, my Zee's have so much power and its easy control, easy to change the length of the hose and easy to bleed.

Posted: Oct 4, 2012 at 11:18 Quote
hopes beat xt everyday of the week.

Posted: Oct 4, 2012 at 12:55 Quote
I take it you have tried 2012 Xt, Hopes wont touch Zee

Posted: Oct 4, 2012 at 12:59 Quote
max14221 wrote:

I haven't tried XT's, but have very briefly tried 2012 XTR's, which felt great. But if I was to buy Zee's It would break my budget, which is also going towards a KS dropper post aswell so I would rather put an even amount of money into bothSmile

Posted: Oct 4, 2012 at 13:05 Quote
guitar1234 wrote:
max14221 wrote:

I haven't tried XT's, but have very briefly tried 2012 XTR's, which felt great. But if I was to buy Zee's It would break my budget, which is also going towards a KS dropper post aswell so I would rather put an even amount of money into bothSmile
sorry that was a reply to Captainlip LOL, all of the 2012 Shimano brakes are good you cant go wrong with them, i would put Deore and SLX up against Hope Big Grin

Posted: Oct 6, 2012 at 1:28 Quote
I had this exact decision to make and opted for the hopes with braided hoses and floating rotors. 8 months later and I have to say I'm disappointed and wish i had chosen the XTs. I find the hopes really struggle for power when any kind of prolonged braking is required. The build quality is phenomenal but if they don't work very well it's irrelevant. Now looking to sell them and get XT plus ice tech rotors.

O+
Posted: Oct 10, 2012 at 17:31 Quote
How is this even a question? I'd take any Shimano over anything else.

Posted: Oct 11, 2012 at 3:04 Quote
Just a update on My Shimano ZEE'S power, managed to do a front flip last night,one finger one little tug and over i went lol .They have fully bedded in and have sooo much power,so if all Shimano's are all like this there is only one choice for brakes at the moment

Posted: Oct 11, 2012 at 10:23 Quote
Im lucky and have both the new XT,S wipe the floor with my hopes which are V2,s with vented rotors I would say though if yr not using Xt or Xtr rotors they are pretty hopeless Pimp
max14221 wrote:
Just a update on My Shimano ZEE'S power, managed to do a front flip last night,one finger one little tug and over i went lol .They have fully bedded in and have sooo much power,so if all Shimano's are all like this there is only one choice for brakes at the moment

Posted: Oct 11, 2012 at 15:08 Quote
SLX M666 and XT M785 brakes have won several group test's. I've got the XT version and they are awesome, especially with the ict-tech rotors.

Posted: Oct 12, 2012 at 6:52 Quote
If you decide to buy XT instead of hope, don't buy XT just go and get a SLX brake set. Completely same, also slx is more reliable without reach adjustment.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013515
Mobile Version of Website