XC on a DH bike?

• Next Page
Posted: Jan 6, 2013 at 19:48 Quote
SoCalMX wrote:
stratmastertj wrote:
I've done a couple short xc rides on my session 88. The idea of it is more fun than the reality. The slack seat tube angle makes pedaling very hard work. Pedaling sitting down on a DH bike is very tiring, so any climbing done has to be off the seat, while the rear shock bounces up and down with each pedal stroke, while you wish you had more easier gears. On flat sections of trail, you really can't ever get any speed going due to the low gearing and weight. The traction going up hill was amazing though. The extra sag and weight helped with traction going up hill. However, the climbs were only short and nothing that steep. If you have steep climbs, you'll be walking up them with a DH bike. Going on long xc rides on a dh bike is this: Push your bike up the hills, suffer on the flats, and finally get to catch your breath on the downhills. If you want to ride cross country, get a xc bike.
EXACTLY! Thats why I bought this! Can handle most DH but can be ridden XC and everything in between! There are purpose built bikes and there are jack of all trades master of none do it alls, heres mine! Knolly Delirium FR frame with a more AM build! Pedals fast and climbs everything!!!
utf 8 B Qmx1ZQ

Geek Geek Geek tup tup tup

Posted: Jan 7, 2013 at 15:14 Quote
SoCalMX wrote:
stratmastertj wrote:
I've done a couple short xc rides on my session 88. The idea of it is more fun than the reality. The slack seat tube angle makes pedaling very hard work. Pedaling sitting down on a DH bike is very tiring, so any climbing done has to be off the seat, while the rear shock bounces up and down with each pedal stroke, while you wish you had more easier gears. On flat sections of trail, you really can't ever get any speed going due to the low gearing and weight. The traction going up hill was amazing though. The extra sag and weight helped with traction going up hill. However, the climbs were only short and nothing that steep. If you have steep climbs, you'll be walking up them with a DH bike. Going on long xc rides on a dh bike is this: Push your bike up the hills, suffer on the flats, and finally get to catch your breath on the downhills. If you want to ride cross country, get a xc bike.
EXACTLY! Thats why I bought this! Can handle most DH but can be ridden XC and everything in between! There are purpose built bikes and there are jack of all trades master of none do it alls, heres mine! Knolly Delirium FR frame with a more AM build! Pedals fast and climbs everything!!!
utf 8 B Qmx1ZQ

only because I'm jealous do I point out how you've been whoring your bike around!! Awesome!!

Posted: Jan 11, 2013 at 12:14 Quote
Why do you want a downhill bike if there's no downhill within 1000km? Seems kinda silly.

Posted: Jan 12, 2013 at 7:19 Quote
I had a similar thought last year involving my 'freeride' bike.... Tried it, got a 2013 remedy now instead

Posted: Jan 12, 2013 at 15:16 Quote
If you can only afford one bike the easy answer is this, and it sounds like others agree. Get an AM/FR 6 inch travel frame, pair it with a 36mm diameter 160mm travel front fork (ie Talas 160). Once you've done this buy yourself a chain guide system, short stem & DH tires that you can throw on for shuttle days or days riding the lift. The rest of the time ride your normal stem, lighter tires and run a 2x9 or 2x10 drive train with a bash ring and you'll be loving life on those XC/AM days. If you want to take it a step further purchase both a coil rear shock and an air shock that has a lock-out for hill climbs. The total swap from AM to DH will only take you 30 min each time you do it and it will be like having 2 bikes. Spend your $ on the AM setup, used DH parts are cheap so you can do what I described on a budget. Ride on!

Posted: Jan 12, 2013 at 16:30 Quote
My heckler is my do it all bike. The rear shock needs to go but I still would take it dhing bit I can't ride that hard to need a down hill bike! So I put sain cranks and a hand built set of spank tweet tweet rims, dropper, short spank spoon stem and saint brakes and fat bars she ready to ride it all yes I wish it was lighter but I built it to do what I like hints the all mountain bike!

Posted: Jan 12, 2013 at 17:45 Quote
tylerthegiant wrote:
My heckler is my do it all bike. The rear shock needs to go but I still would take it dhing bit I can't ride that hard to need a down hill bike! So I put sain cranks and a hand built set of spank tweet tweet rims, dropper, short spank spoon stem and saint brakes and fat bars she ready to ride it all yes I wish it was lighter but I built it to do what I like hints the all mountain bike!

Cool. Sounds like you've got it dialed. I had a Heckler last year, perfect frame to do what I described. If you don't already have a lighter weight wheelset & tires I highly recommend keeping your eyes out for a good deal. Also, if you don't have an air shock w lock-out grab one when you get a chance. Swapping out you wheelset & shock will likely save you a quick 2-4 lbs for those XC days. Heckler is a great choice. Lets see a pic.

• Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011691
Mobile Version of Website